It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:36 am

Interface recognition

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

bryanbierbaum

Interface recognition

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 6:06 pm

I am suddenly having an issue where HW doesn’t recognize my interface. It knows it is there, but thinks it is a different one...and puts a 2 in front of the name, which would mean remapping everything to use it.

I’m using Windows 10 and a Behringer UMC1820. I’ve already made sure the ASIO driver is up to date. The USB from the interface has remained in the same port....except when I move it just trying to find a solution to this issue.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bryan

dhm

Re: Interface recognition

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 2:29 am

This is a common problem with USB interfaces (and why I prefer FireWire :D ).
If disconnected, then plugged into a different USB port, Windows will treat it as a "new" device and re-name it.
Since Hauptwerk can only respond to what Windows tells it is present or absent, you get those error messages.
I frequently use several different interfaces for testing on the same PCs, and to avoid having to reset all the MIDI assignments every time, I change all the MIDI Inputs and Outputs to "Any enabled port" rather than a particular interface name. I think I'm right in saying that this shouldn't cause any sample re-caching, since the audio routing and other options haven't changed.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

bryanbierbaum

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 7:13 am

Which interface with FireWire do you prefer to use?

Thanks for the tip to enable all ports!

dhm

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 10:04 am

There are very few FireWire interfaces available nowadays, since FireWire is dying (or has died) out, although I have a couple that are hybrid - work on either USB or FireWire (Behringer FCA 610 and MOTU Ultralite Mk3).
I bought up several of the former favourite M-Audio Profire 610 on eBay and still use them - simple, stable and reliable. They don’t make ‘em like that any more.
Douglas Henn-Macrae

bryanbierbaum

PostThu May 23, 2019 8:56 pm

Have you successfully added FireWire ports to newer pc’s that run Windows 10?

csw900

PostFri May 24, 2019 3:19 am

Hi dhm

I know that recognising midi ports is a continuing problem and it is about time the manufacturers sorted it out. Both operating system and hardware makers are at fault.

Your option of selecting "Any Enabled Port" appears to me to be so well hidden that I cannot find it as an option.

Please explain how I select this option and what will happen if I have several "Enabled Ports".

csw900

P.S. What exactly is an "Enabled Port"?

P.P.S. My experience of adding firewire to a PC is a simple as plugging in a firewire board to the appropriate bus. Its a long time since I used firewire but I do not think the board even needed a driver.

dhm

PostFri May 24, 2019 3:29 am

With an organ loaded, go to Organ settings, then Keyboards, or Expression pedals, or Stops/Couplers/etc, and for each item look for MIDI In port on the right-hand side. You will see "Any enabled port" as an option there.
It has saved me hours in re-doing all the Auto-detect settings every time I test a different interface.
Douglas Henn-Macrae

csw900

PostFri May 24, 2019 7:18 am

Hi dhm

I have just tried what you suggested and there are lots of options but nowhere is "Any Enabled Port" mentioned!! (I have three midi cables connected via USB).

csw900

NickNelson

PostFri May 24, 2019 8:10 am

That's odd, I found it pretty easily:

Nick

csw900

PostFri May 24, 2019 12:26 pm

OK. Thanks Nick I have found it, I was looking in the "Input" dropdown not the "Midi in Port" dropdown.

I will have to do some experiments now to find out how useful it is, my keyboards are normally connected via separate USB cables, one cable to each keyboard. This option appears to expect an organ console connected with one midi cable.

I found ages ago that the best option for me was to use midi to usb cables, each from a different maker so that their IDs were unique. This does work reliably for me in all situations and for all organs - not just HW.

csw900

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing