It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:03 am

"Unable to execute the desired program" error popup

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Jay Niehoff

"Unable to execute the desired program" error popup

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 6:40 pm

I tried downloading the free version, and was getting an error popup

Unable to execute the desired program,
Please get another copy of the installer and try again.

I tried installing while antivirus is off, and redownloading/ installing with antivirus off. This is all new to me and installed the free version of Meitke & Silberman organ, before Hauptwerk, would that cause any problems? I don't think my current computer is ideal for Hauptewerk, but just wanted to get started and have a harpsichord & organ to practice with.

csw900

Re: "Unable to execute the desired program" error popup

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 2:16 am

You have given no useful information about your computer and have only hinted that you are trying to install Hauptwerk free edition.

I think you must have a 64 bit computer before HW will work. The computer will also need at least 8GB of memory before HW will work properly even if it installs.

I do not understand how you could install an HW organ before installing HW. Meitke & Silberman organ does not exist according to Google so exactly what is it?

If you want a proper answer to your question please supply more information.

csw900

IainStinson

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 3:36 am

From your description it seems that the Hauptwerk installer (which is what you download) is unable to run.

We really need to know the type of computer you are using (PC or Mac) and the version of the operating system you are using (such as Windows 10 Pro etc.) to give you some help.

However...
If you are using a MAC there are some notes on the forum at http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?t=16414 which might help. I suggest you read these even if you are using a different version of macOS. If you are using a PC the version of Java included with Windows (7 & 10) normally works.

Look at the prerequisites listed in the user manual (pg 10 in particular) and the installation instructions (from pg 20 onward) too.

Iain

Jay Niehoff

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 10:04 am

Sorry, this is all new to me, and I am not very computer savvy. I have a Dell Inspirion-17 7579 CPU @ 2.70 GHz, 2901 Mhz, 2 cores, 4 logical processors, 64 bit laptop, running Windows 10. The processor is an Intel Core i7-7500. Installed physical memory 12 GB, available 7.48 GB.

I downloaded the Meitke harpsichord & Silberman 1741 organ that is available for free. But I just got file folders that I have no idea what to do with. I downloaded those before downloading the actual Hauptwerk program. Do you need to have some form of Hauptwerk for those to even work? Would that cause any problems. I bought got another harpsichord to work for a different program, so will delete the Meitke harpsichord, and was planning on picking one organ to use for now to practice some JS Bach keyboard music. The plan is to research into having a computer built (eventually) and upgrading to the full version of HW.
Thanks for the replies. HW is an amazing program! I have been wanting to try it for awhile now.

IainStinson

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 11:21 am

Here are some pointers which may help.

Hauptwerk is the program which enables different virtual instruments to be played and is designed particularly to support virtual organs. You must install Haupwerk first and then you can “add in” virtual organs (or harpsichords) which may the be played in real-time through the Haupwerk system.

You can evaluate Hauptwerk for free and don’t initially have to worry about the USB key.

Quick start suggestion for your Windows 10 environment.
0.Download the hauptwerk User Guide. https://www.hauptwerk.com/support/documentation/
Don;t be intimidated by its size - you only need a very small part of it to get started.
1. Download Hauptwerk from the MDA site.http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/win.
You can usually do this from within your web browser.
2. Run the .exe file which will be downloaded. This is the Hauptwerk installer. See pg 21 of the manual.
(This is step 7 of pg 21). Follow the instructions given by the installer. taking the defaults.
3. Reboot the system
4. Try out Hauptwerk using the Hautpwerk shortcut. (See pg 33 and following)

The full installation of Hauptwerk includes installing the St Anne virtual organ which helps test out the installation. Even if you don’t have a way of connecting a midi keyboard to your computer, you can “play” notes on St Anne using the mouse (make sure you have stops drawn for the division you are trying to play).

Sample sets are added to a Hauptwerk installation using facilities within Hauptwerk itself. See the Haupwerk User Guide pg 170 for details.

Whilst the Hauptwerk User Guide offers instructions on setting up the system, you may find it useful to look at another source of information. Try looking at http://www.midiworks.ca/ebook/hauptwerk_explained.pdf. From pg 19 this document goes through the installation of Hauptwerk. Although the screen shots are from a Mac computer, they are essentially the same on Windows.

The midworks document gives some details of connecting a midi keyboard to your system .

You may also find Randall Mullin’s document helpful http://www.randallmullin.com/Hauptwerk%20Experience.pdf

There is also Ken Spencer's book which some have found very helpful http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14329 for details.

Iain.

Return to Technical support