It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am

Delete user account

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Ebony

Delete user account

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 2:41 pm

Hello,

there's no way to exercise the privacy law rights to delete your personal data according to Art. 17 GDPR.

Thanks in advance

sonar11

Re: Delete user account

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 2:45 pm

You have 4 posts, including 1 post which is asking to delete the remaining 3; what exactly do you want to delete? :shock: :D

Ebony

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 3:25 pm

All my personal data that is connected to my user account.
e.g. my forum account, mailaddress

Grant_Youngman

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 11:34 am

Ebony wrote:All my personal data that is connected to my user account.
e.g. my forum account, mailaddress

Well, you can delete all the stuff in your profile. Not sure if you can actually delete your email address, but you can edit it, and should be able to put in garbage with the same effect. You can delete the text in any messages you've posted.

Did you send a note through support/contact to ask if the admin can delete your account in its entirety?
Grant

Ebony

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 11:38 am

Thank you for the serious answer.
I tried contacting admins. There's not even an impressum for this Board. So nobody to contact.
And yes - I want to excercise my civil rights.
http://www.privacy-regulation.eu/en/art ... '-GDPR.htm

giwro

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 12:10 pm

Ebony,

Also do note that MDA/Hauptwerk is not based in the EU (and as far as I know, neither are the servers hosting the site). So, the regulations for a non-EU business are probably different.
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

IainStinson

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 1:45 pm

You could
- find all of your contributions and edit them deleting the content (use view your posts)
- change your profile details to remove (or trash) anything that identifies you.
However users can’t delete their account.

The administrator of the forum can delete a user account (according to the documentation for the product).
In phpBB3, it is possible to prune users from your board in order to keep only your active members. You can also delete a whole user account, along with everything associated with the user account. Prune users allows you to prune and deactivate user accounts on your board by post count, last visited date, and more.

Have you formally requested MDA to remove your account?

Iain

Ebony

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 2:16 pm

giwro wrote:Ebony,

Also do note that MDA/Hauptwerk is not based in the EU (and as far as I know, neither are the servers hosting the site). So, the regulations for a non-EU business are probably different.

Hello giwro,
Thank you for the reply. The GDPR applies to:

1) a company or entity which processes personal data as part of the activities of one of its branches established in the EU, regardless of where the data is processed; or
2) a company established outside the EU offering goods/services (paid or for free) or monitoring the behaviour of individuals in the EU.

So MDA should care about the international law of their customers. They actually don't have a privacy policy at hand. So it's kind of hard. I don't know who's their data protection officer and who's responsable for the processing.

Ebony

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 2:19 pm

IainStinson wrote:You could
- find all of your contributions and edit them deleting the content (use view your posts)
- change your profile details to remove (or trash) anything that identifies you.
However users can’t delete their account.

The administrator of the forum can delete a user account (according to the documentation for the product).
In phpBB3, it is possible to prune users from your board in order to keep only your active members. You can also delete a whole user account, along with everything associated with the user account. Prune users allows you to prune and deactivate user accounts on your board by post count, last visited date, and more.

Have you formally requested MDA to remove your account?

Iain

Thank you IainStinson
I did remove my posts with "placeholder" and realised there is no way to delete a user account on my own.
However - there's no imprint or privacy policy for the forum. Thus I don't have an email address to contact the responsable person.

I "reported" my own threads/posts to get in touch with the admins here.

IainStinson

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 2:41 pm

Try sending your request using this form. https://www.hauptwerk.com/forms/contact/
Iain.

dhm

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Ebony wrote:The GDPR applies to:
1) a company or entity which processes personal data as part of the activities of one of its branches established in the EU, regardless of where the data is processed; or
2) a company established outside the EU offering goods/services (paid or for free) or monitoring the behaviour of individuals in the EU.

So MDA should care about the international law of their customers. They actually don't have a privacy policy at hand. So it's kind of hard. I don't know who's their data protection officer and who's responsible for the processing.

1. MDA/Hauptwerk is based in the US. It has no "branches established in the EU".
2. I'm not a lawyer, but I fail to see how or why EU law ever could, or should, apply to any country or body outside the EU, however much one might wish it were different.
Wikipedia says:
The Telemediengesetz (German meaning "Telemedia Act") requires that German websites disclose information about the publisher, including their name and address, telephone number or e-mail address, trade registry number, VAT number, and other information depending on the type of company. German websites are defined as being published by individuals or organisations that are based in Germany, so an Impressum is required regardless of whether a site is in the .de domain.
And: There is no equivalent legislation in the United States.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

Ebony

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 1:12 am

Hell dhm, Thanks for your reply.
I'm working that field.

You can find the recital in Art. 3 GDPR:
http://www.privacy-regulation.eu/en/art ... e-GDPR.htm

As I posted:
The GDPR applies to:

So this law applies to companies offering services to EU residents.

Ebony

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 1:13 am

PS:
And I'm simply asking for erasure. I don't want to start a law discussion.

giwro

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 10:52 am

The law may claim to "apply", but good luck enforcing it in the US. And, I appreciate that you are simply trying to get your account deleted - but EU laws are unenforceable in the USA, full stop. I suppose the EU could stop goods at customs or something like that, but for downloadable content really there is no way to "force" a US company to submit to EU laws, nor should there be.

Wanting your account deleted is reasonable, however, and I hope you can get it resolved to your satisfaction.
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

Ebony

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 3:25 pm

giwro wrote:Wanting your account deleted is reasonable, however, and I hope you can get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Sadly - I get no help/reply from Hauptwerk at all.

Return to General discussion