It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:46 am

CODM working beyond the examples

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

sdevries

CODM working beyond the examples

PostSat Jun 08, 2019 12:24 pm

I have read the CODM users guide several times, I have looked at the example COD files, and I have looked at 2 of my installed organ definition files (454 Anloo and 2214 Strassburg) I want to create a modified version of Anloo with one stop from Strassburg - substitute the Anloo Pedal Bazuin 16 with the Strassbirg Pedal Posaune 16.. I am an engineer, familiar with XML etc. My goal is to substitute one rank from one sample set to another - that's all. Here is my issue: I don't see which attributes that I should edit (beyond the unique ID and the required installation package(s). I am aware that the COD files are easier to modify than the XML files, but I must deal directly with the XML files of my installed organs.

Anloo ODF has an object type "Sample" which seems to be the correct place for me to start (I don't care if the console display etc. shows the original stop name). It has an attribute with value "2" after the file name, and the CODM guide doesn't tell me what that means. Please advise.

csw900

Re: CODM working beyond the examples

PostSun Jun 09, 2019 2:03 am

If you just want to swap one set of samples for another why not do it the easy way?

I would delete the .wav samples I did not want and replace them with the .wav samples I did want, changing the filenames if necessary to exactly mimic the old unwanted samples.

Perhaps this is too easy, I am an engineer who understands how things work, but I am not an expert on CODM.

I also know that if you want to change any of the HW pictures e.g. stop names, you can simply edit the photograph or even replace one photo with another.

csw900

sdevries

PostSun Jun 09, 2019 7:47 pm

I have partial success, by simply replacing the sample files for the rank (I get the desired sound, although the stop/rank name hasn't changed). Maybe I miss the "basic idea" of CODM - it seems to be based upon the idea of mapping to other sample sets; if this is true, then I would map 90+ % of Anloo, and then map the single rank/stop from Strassburg (and then handle voicing and tuning alignment). Since Strassburg is "wet", I would only deal with A0 samples. Do I understand this correctly?

csw900

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 2:30 am

If you get the desired sound why go any further? I know very little about CODM and cannot comment on it with any authority as I have never used it myself or ever had much interest in it. You can change the stop name on the stop itself by editing its pictures.

I do not think you will be able to change wet samples to dry or vice versa.

I expected the subject of encryption to come up because what I suggested may not work if the samples are encrypted.

The best way to learn about CODM would be to use it to make a VERY SIMPLE organ out of bits and pieces from organs you already have, make it work, then improve it and test out all your ideas. I know that this forum does not like discussing the details of how HW works, especially the samples, so I doubt if you will get any answers here to your technical questions about CODM. Those that know wont tell and the rest don't know.

csw900

mnailor

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 8:05 am

It seems like the original post was talking about modifying an ODF, not about writing a CODM. CODM does seem to get reasonable help here, and isn't a secret given the user guide and samples, but I don't see the CODM question in the original post.

Not that I'm one of the experts, only having put together my second CODM for personal use recently.

Good luck!

mnailor

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 8:16 am

sdevries wrote:I have read the CODM users guide several times, I have looked at the example COD files, and I have looked at 2 of my installed organ definition files (454 Anloo and 2214 Strassburg) I want to create a modified version of Anloo with one stop from Strassburg - substitute the Anloo Pedal Bazuin 16 with the Strassbirg Pedal Posaune 16.. I am an engineer, familiar with XML etc. My goal is to substitute one rank from one sample set to another - that's all. Here is my issue: I don't see which attributes that I should edit (beyond the unique ID and the required installation package(s). I am aware that the COD files are easier to modify than the XML files, but I must deal directly with the XML files of my installed organs.

Anloo ODF has an object type "Sample" which seems to be the correct place for me to start (I don't care if the console display etc. shows the original stop name). It has an attribute with value "2" after the file name, and the CODM guide doesn't tell me what that means. Please advise.

The CODM files are also XML files, but I assume you mean ODF when you say XML here. If Anloo already supplies a CODM file, substituting one rank from another organ means adding one <rank> tag and changing the corresponding <stoprank> tag to use the substituted rank id, and changing the displayed label in the <stop> tag.

If Strassburg also supplies a CODM, copy and paste its <rank> and edit for a unique rank id, division supplying wind, etc to fit in Anloo. If not, see if any rank parameters are in Strassburg's package installation XML file, which also should give what you need for required installation packages to add the Strassburg package to the Anloo CODM.

If neither organ has a CODM file, starting from one of the example CODM files that comes with HW is harder but can be done.

Sorry, I don't know ODF format. Not trying to ignore your question.

mnailor

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 8:22 am

sdevries wrote:I have partial success, by simply replacing the sample files for the rank (I get the desired sound, although the stop/rank name hasn't changed). Maybe I miss the "basic idea" of CODM - it seems to be based upon the idea of mapping to other sample sets; if this is true, then I would map 90+ % of Anloo, and then map the single rank/stop from Strassburg (and then handle voicing and tuning alignment). Since Strassburg is "wet", I would only deal with A0 samples. Do I understand this correctly?

Yes, I think you have the basic idea.

sdevries

PostMon Jun 10, 2019 12:49 pm

Thanks for everyone's replies! Yes, I was mixing CODM and ODF concepts. I agree that in my example, I "only" need to swap files - maybe I was lucky because I swapped samples which don't depend upon attack samples, tremulants etc.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)