It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 am

New Security Coming for Hauptwerk

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

jmoboe

Re: New Security Coming for Hauptwerk

PostTue May 14, 2019 1:43 pm

For me, any security solution requiring a connection to the Internet is a no-no. Considering the impending end of support for W7 and the fact that my fully functional audio interface is not supported beyond W7 led me to implement a dual-boot W7-W10 configuration for my Hauptwerk PC that I use as a Hauptwerk organ less than 2 hours a day. I have not yet completely disabled permanently all the W7 services related to network access but I intend to do that soon to maximize the performance of my system with HW.

Frank-Evans

PostThu May 16, 2019 10:03 pm

I have been following this thread with interest and have decided that in my opinion MDA is doing a great job. They are marketing what is actually a hobby product that can perform as well as any of the commercial systems with comparable hardware.
Admittedly the licensing system is a little slow sometimes but with a small improvement it works well. Remember, the requirement for activating the license on the dongle is determined by the sample set producer, not MDA. If you get an unencrypted/or unlicensed set you don’t have to update your dongle to play it. Only if the sample set producer requires it.
MDA has said in the past that if you damage your dongle they will work to provide a replacement, if you loose it you are out of luck since that holds the license.
It seems like insuring the dongle against loss would be the prudent thing to do. We do that with many other types of equipment including cameras, cell phones, cars, as well as other items…. Why do we think that MDA should be responsible for something lost that is in our control. In other words, why should somebody else be responsible for our actions? Now, back to lurking with the asbestos coat 8) .

organsRgreat

PostFri May 17, 2019 7:33 am

I'm sure MDA keeps a record of the licences that have been issued, and very likely the makers of sample sets do too; so losing or breaking a dongle is unlikely to be a disaster. A while ago I somehow managed to lose samples for my Paramount 450; as soon as the vendors had verified my identity they sent me a link to the download, and before long I was up and running again.

polikimre

PostFri May 17, 2019 2:51 pm

What worries me a bit is that Brett hasn't posted anything on this forum ever since this post. That's been 5 weeks. is that normal?

elia

PostSat May 18, 2019 9:00 am

AUDIO WATERMARKING PROPOSAL

Waiting to know the new Hauptwerk security details we can think of adopting a security system (independently) to track every buyer and then check if a user is the rightful owner.

This does not prevent illegal copying but may discourage an illegal business.

There are various ways to do this:
- inside the hauptwerk engine when the cache is built and an additional watermark is applied to the audio files
- outside the hauptwerk engine by applying a watermark to individual audio files with additional tools

Keep in mind that if the audio files are the central element then even if they are encrypted, sooner or later we can intercept them in the digital domain or in the analog domain or even in the computer RAM (for those who practice reverse engineering)!

It can be very clarifying to read how one of various Audio Watermarking commercial solutions works, for example:
https://audiowatermarking.info
Elia

engrssc

PostSun Jul 07, 2019 7:54 pm

organplayer wrote:But I don't like to buy an omnibus if I have to carry my family and some friends only.

Or buy a cow when you just want a quart of milk. :roll:

I've never created a sample set so I'm guessing there might be more to assembling an instrument in a stop by stop modular fashion. Not all sampled organs can boast of the fact that each stop (works) sounds good with any other even tho the stops were sampled from the same instrument. IMHO, the exception is Armley Schulze. I have tried (just to see) if there any stops that don't fit together with any other (stop). So far, every stop sounds right in combination with any other. (Just is that way).

We have 2 "organists" who are quite talented pianists, but self taught on the organ. For sure, they don't have an organ lore background, but are doing quite well registering Armley. One commented recently to the fact no matter which stop(s) she pulls, 'You can't go wrong'. Think that is so. 8) Such thoughts are subjective to be sure. Be interested in the thoughts of others, your's maybe? :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

jcfelice88keys

PostSun Jul 07, 2019 9:00 pm

When Hauptwerk 5 becomes a commercial reality, does that mean that owners of Hauptwerk 4's license may still use sample sets originally created for Hauptwerk 4? Restated, is Hauptwerk 5's release a mandate to purchase the new I-lok to continue using existing instrument sets?

Cheers,

Joe
Previous

Return to General discussion