It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 am

8 Pistons For TRIGGER +1

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

ludu

8 Pistons For TRIGGER +1

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Hello,

Currently, HW only allows 4 pistons for ’Trigger +1'. Up to now I’ve used Bome’s Midi Translator in order to reach 8 pistons for this task, but my configuration becomes an unmanageable labyrinthine system, and I’ve decided to give up with this method. I’ve tried the following one, without Midi Translator.

Except one combination for the General Tutti, I don’t use the reversible combinations.
1) Setting one of the many other reversible combinations (B01), I’ve put a piston as input and an unused note (060) on an unused channel (07) as output.
2) In the ’Trigger +1' setting, I’ve put this same note (060) on the same channel (07) and the same MIDI PORT as input. I had expected that pressing my piston, ’Trigger +1' was working, but it doesn’t. :(

This tip should have given a large number of pistons for only one function. Why does it fail? Do you see another way to reach 8 pistons for ’Trigger +1'?
Luc

Mixtuur4st

Re: 8 Pistons For TRIGGER +1

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 2:10 pm

So simple: just wire them all in parallel.

Enjoy, Jack.

ludu

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 2:17 pm

Mixtuur4st wrote:So simple: just wire them all in parallel.

Enjoy, Jack.

Indeed, if I was able and allowed to do it (my console is under warranty).
I’ve to find a software solution.
Luc

Mixtuur4st

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 2:29 pm

In that case, if I were you, I would have a telephone call to the supplier of your console.
Because any hardware solution is, by definition, superior to a software workaround.

Rgds, Jack.

ludu

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 3:10 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but I prefer a software solution, cheaper and reversible if I change of opinion concerning the organisation of my 140 thumb pistons. I’m sure a tip does exist.
Luc

evertjan

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 3:49 pm

A reversible combination works the same as a stop: turning something (stops, couplers, etc. ) on and pushing the button again turning them off.

For example: in case of your tutti you have programmed all stops, couplers, etc. on a reversible.
Pushing this button tutti turns on. Pushing again, the registration goes to the previous state: only those stops stays on, which are on before pushing the button the first time. An on/off functionality.

A reversible cannot be used for a Trigger+1 function.

In Hauptwerk I don't see a solution for this function if using more than 2 buttons.

Solution is hardware (wire all +1 buttons parallel) or software (the Bome's MIDI translator). Give the latests a change again. First remove the old one by using Revo-uninstaller (https://www.revouninstaller.com/product ... ller-free/ and download the Portable version). Unzip the download and start the program; no installation needed. First Revo will uninstall Bome and next step is a scan for leftovers. Chose "delete".
After that restart the PC and install Bome again and configure it.

ludu

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 4:29 pm

I already use the reversible combinations successfully to turn the pages of my music scores in PDF format, on an external PC. Although they are supposed working like an ON/OFF command, their behaviour is compatible with a simple ON command when they are empty, because they remain turned off. It works very well (however between 2 different computers), and this is the reason I’m trying to apply the same method for the ‘Trigger +’ function.

For your information, currently the ‘Trigger’ commands are possible with 4 different pistons: ‘Primary input’ and ‘Input 2’ for the conventional setting, and the same for the corresponding setting named ’(inp 3/4)’.

A long time ago, Martin wrote he planned to add more inputs for this command in the next version of HW. It would be a shame transforming physically my console before this new release. And regarding to Bome’s Midi Translator, I’m in contact with the support team – very devoted – but my configuration is too complex because my console sends the Midi signals through 5 different interfaces.

I continue my research and keep you informed in case of success…
Luc

OrganoPleno

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 9:57 am

ludu wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, but I prefer a software solution

Can you Program your Pistons to select what MIDI message they send? If so, then use Hauptwerk to set one of your Pistons to the "Trigger +1"... and then Program the other seven Pistons to send the exact same MIDI message (channel number and so forth...). Then Hauptwerk will think they are all the same Piston! Problem solved...

ludu

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 10:04 am

Indeed, it would be a dream. Unfortunately, my console doesn’t allow those settings.
Luc

engrssc

PostSat Jul 27, 2019 7:57 am

ludu wrote:For your information, currently the ‘Trigger’ commands are possible with 4 different pistons: ‘Primary input’ and ‘Input 2’ for the conventional setting, and the same for the corresponding setting named ’(inp 3/4)’.

Where are these inputs 3/4 located? I've not needed more than 2 inputs, so never looked for more.

Rgds,
Ed

ludu

PostSat Jul 27, 2019 8:24 am

Hello Ed,

You’ve to go to Organ settings –> MIDI/Key Triggers... and you’ll find Registration: stepper: trigger -1 (inp 3/4) and Registration: stepper: trigger +1 (inp 3/4).

Cordially,
Luc

engrssc

PostSat Jul 27, 2019 6:06 pm

Got it, thanks.

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostSat Jul 27, 2019 6:07 pm

This device could be worth looking at https://www.midiboutique.com/MIDI-Processors/mr4
Whilst as standard it will only give you one more “advance” piston, they say the can provide a custom configuration. Might be worth asking...
Iain

ludu

PostSun Jul 28, 2019 4:22 am

IainStinson wrote:This device could be worth looking at https://www.midiboutique.com/MIDI-Processors/mr4
Whilst as standard it will only give you one more “advance” piston, they say the can provide a custom configuration. Might be worth asking...
Iain

Thanks Iain. My console builder is incapable, ill will and bad faith, but this information could be very interesting for other organists, in the case of DIY consoles.
Luc

organsRgreat

PostSun Jul 28, 2019 7:05 am

I don't want to complicate my installation by trying this, but it just might be worth investigating: some of Hauptwerk's own buttons offer the facility to “Right click to change function or appearance”. Ones that do this include General Cancel, the master Setter, Stepper Cue forward 10, Stepper Cue back 10 (and others). If they are not already showing, use “View > Piston toolbars” and choose the first option. When you right click, and work through the menu that appears, “Stepper +1” is one of the options. Hauptwerk may still block it if you already have four ways of activating Stepper +1, but worth a try?

Return to Technical support