It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 am

Moving large numbers of sample sets to a new drive - SOLVED

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

pipeorgel

Moving large numbers of sample sets to a new drive - SOLVED

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 2:04 pm

I have a 2008 3,1 Mac Pro (64GB, and many TB of hard drives) that runs my Hauptwerk set up with dozens of sample sets, and I have had little trouble over the years. Many years ago I ran the installer again to move the samples from the main (small) hard drive to another (large) internal drive, although I vaguely remember it was tricky and required some work-around at some point. This last week I have been attempting to do the same thing as I have again run out of room. (About 2TB of samples now)

I am trying to moving from the 2TB disk to a new 4TB SSD PCIe disk. I have several hard drives, so by High Sierra clone-magic (I used the clone feature in disk utilities) I moved my bootable drive around until the 4TB drive had it on it and was ready and stable (I could play everything just fine on Hauptwerk at that point with all settings preserved). Then I downloaded the Hauptwerk upgrade file to access the installer...used “custom”....changed from where it was running out of room (Mac HD3) to the SSD 4TB. It then moved many of the files over the course of a couple hours and then froze. After a couple hours of freeze, I used force quit. Then Hauptwerk failed to work at all (“?” On the icon). I tried the installer again, but it refused to recognize I already had Hauptwerk installed. I installed the full version again and then realized I was going to need to build it all over or use one of my Hauptwerk back-up files. I chose to roll everything back with another wipe-via-clone again.

I have done this four or five times (which means 4+ days because it takes hours before you know if it works). The last couple times, when it hangs, I make note of what file it stalled on and simply the entire sample file folder (better to loose a few sets and have to build them from scratch rather than the whole hard drive of samples!). Alas, it keeps stalling out in new places each time.

There seems to be no way to manually force the installer to continue, and when I have to quit, NOTHING works because the program is not installed until the END of the move, and there is never an indication of what went wrong. Fortunately, it APPEARS that all the samples stay put on Mac HD 3 (is it not really a move, just a copy?). What should I do? I can’t even get into Hauptwerk to make a diagnostic file before I roll everything back to the clone again....

Does anyone know a work-a-round? This has eaten countless hours. This issue doesn’t seem to be addressed in the forum histories or in the user's manual except in general terms (make a back-up and use the installer..)

Thanks for ideas.
Last edited by pipeorgel on Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

engrssc

Re: Moving large numbers of sample sets to a new drive

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 2:13 pm

Have you tried to clone the "old" drive? Very simple procedure. Everything including all settings get moved.

This program works for Windows. Haven't tried it for Mac files.
https://www.backup-utility.com/download.html

You may want to check

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/147

Rgds,
Ed

pipeorgel

Re: Moving large numbers of sample sets to a new drive - FAI

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 2:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. Originally Hauptwerk and my operating system was on a smaller drive (Mac HD1) and my samples were on a different drive (Mac HD3). I did clone HD1 to this new large SSD drive and everything works fine. But I want all of my samples to be moved to that main drive now as well (since HD3 is too small). This is where the problem above occurs. I can't get the many samples on HD3 to move cleanly onto my cloned main drive with the Hauptwerk installer.

engrssc

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 2:49 pm

Have you error checked the new drive? I had problems withe new large drives having problem areas that could not be written to.

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pipeorgel

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 2:54 pm

Yes, and I can wholesale copy HD3 to it just fine. But then there is no way for Hauptwerk to know where the samples are (because it seems the installer is the only way to "wire" it's brain to the correct source). If I clone HD3 to this drive and then add the operating system and Hauptwerk, and then restore Hauptwerk to my latest backup, I bet there would still be this problem...because it will be searching for the original source which was a separate hard drive from where the program was.

engrssc

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 3:21 pm

Check User manual pages 19 & 26.

Rgds,
Ed

pipeorgel

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 3:27 pm

Pg 19 says “Once Hauptwerk has been installed, the installation locations cannot be changed without re-running Hauptwerk’s installers”

This is my main problem, as the installer always freezes no matter what I do. And a force-quit kills Hauptwerk completely, requiring a roll-back of the computer.

I would think that what I am doing is a common need. Has anyone run up against this issue? If the installer will not work, and the program and the sample sets are on separate drives from each other, what can one do to work around it?

pipeorgel

PostWed Aug 07, 2019 10:11 am

Current attempt is to roll back to the clone that works again, then manually move all the sample sets to the new SSD (worked no problem), then uninstall Hauptwerk....reinstall routing it to the SSD, then restoring Hauptwerk with my backup file. I have no idea if this will work, but it's amazing how many things I've tried over how many days. :shock:

BUT...the uninstaller freezes as well about half way through each time! What exactly do I need to delete before I reinstall? Seems neither the installer custom-move feature nor the uninstaller will work for me!

pipeorgel

PostWed Aug 07, 2019 1:39 pm

Finally arrived at a solution. For future reference for myself and others: you do NOT need to run the installer to MOVE sample sets from one location to another on a Mac. Nor do you need to use the uninstaller to get rid of the program before doing what I did. I of course had a backup of my settings and a clone of my last working main hard drive to fall back on.

1. I manually dragged and dropped the sample sets to the location I desired (naming it something OTHER than "Hauptwerk" for the meantime).

2. I then deleted everything related to the Hauptwerk program (since the uninstaller wouldn't work). And emptied the trash. Scary stuff.

3. Downloaded a fresh complete Hauptwerk program and installed it with the locations routed to where I want them to be. Then deleted the contents of the new "Hauptwerk" folder (where samples and such are kept)

4. Simply dragged the contents of my old "Hauptwerk" folder (that I had renamed) into the new but empty "Hauptwerk" folder location.

5. Restored from a backup Hauptwerk settings file. Since the newly installed program had the correct locations already, this seemed to work fine and not argue.

Problem solved. I wish I had remembered this work around.

Return to Technical support