It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 am

Hauptwerk Convention - Poll

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

dw154515

Hauptwerk Convention - Poll

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 6:57 pm

Hello Folks,

As some of you know, I (we) recently completed a very large Hauptwerk installation at Greenwood United Methodist Church (Indianapolis, IN area).

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15009

I was recently talking to Danny B. (aka "Magnaton") and the idea of having a "Hauptwerk Convention" (for lack of a better term) came up.

Since we are centrally located in the country (sort of) and have a, to my mind, great example of what Hauptwerk can do, and since it has already drawn several visitors from surrounding states, the idea of having some sort of Hauptwerk Convention or Symposium sounds like it could be really neat and, in many ways, extremely valuable to the organ world.

I have gotten so many emails, messages, and even random visitors showing up to see and hear the instrument after reading about it here on the forums, or on our music department website. I can't begin to count the number of people who have reached out to me, wondering if something like this is feasible in their church - either to replace their current failing pipe or electric organs, or to add an instrument where there currently is none - but they aren't sure how to go about it, and since there aren't a ton of builders out there, they don't know where to start. Even during the dedication concert, I was amazed at the number of people who showed up with a pen and pad of paper to take notes. Even today I had 2 visitors from Cleveland, OH, and 2 more from Anderson, IN, who came to check it out after reading about it online.

This is just preliminary. We are not committing to anything or scheduling anything at this point, but....

IF YOU WOULD BE SERIOUSLY WILLING TO ATTEND SUCH AN EVENT, EITHER AS A VISITOR, OR VENDOR, PLEASE COMMENT BELOW!

If there is a genuine interest in having, say, a weekend-long series of concerts, workshops, lectures, presentations, etc., where Hauptwerk vendors, sample set producers, and those knowledgeable in Hauptwerk would be willing to come and demonstrate their products, services, knowledge, etc. we have a great venue and instrument at our disposal that I am more than willing to offer up.

There may be a small registration fee, or something, to help cover custodial and other miscellaneous expenses but it wouldn't be large. I'm just not sure yet. There's just too much to consider and I've never done this sort of thing. Maybe there's someone here on the forum, near by who is good at this sort of thing?

I feel pretty confident in the church's willingness to allow the event, but ultimately, I don't know what kind of turnout we could potentially have. So, with not better place to start, I leave this open-ended, and let's see where it goes.
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music & Website Admin - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumc.org
Design Engineer - American Sound and Electronics - Indy
https://americansound.cc/

Erzahler

Re: Hauptwerk Convention - Poll

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 10:07 pm

Sounds a great idea. I'll be there in spirit if it happens.

mrkniz

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 6:34 am

I've been hoping for some kind of convention for a long time. I will be there not just in spirit--my body, too! :D

david515mi

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 9:41 am

I love the idea, and would be interested in attending.
David

voet

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 11:36 am

This sounds like a great idea. I would attend. Some random thoughts:

Have a concert that features several different sample sets. Maybe poll attendees for sets they want to hear.

Include vendors of HW consoles. (Including some of the Dutch companies)

It would be nice to have a vendor exhibit area.

I would be willing to pay to attend, but it would be nice if vendors also offered convention specials.

Maybe one night could feature a theater organ playing for a silent film.

gary.chapman

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 12:01 pm

I think it’s a great idea; suggest talking to the AGO
how to proceed (maybe with some co-sponsorship?)

- Gary Chapman (Brooklyn NY)

Hartley Mays

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 1:31 pm

I would enjoy attending, and the location is great from here in Cincinnati.

Another point of interest would be workshops and demos of using Hauptwerk with DAWs as a VST.

Something to consider would be setting up live streaming for it for international participants that can't or don't want to travel. Maybe there could even be more than one site hosting events.

Good luck with it,
Hartley
Hartley Mays

rayjcar

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 1:38 pm

FYI the 2020 annual convention of the American Theatre Organ Society will be held in Indianapolis, I believe from July 6 to July 9. Traditionally there is a "pre-glow" the day before and an "afterglow" the day following the convention. There is a record room set-up, and sometimes vendors have brought in organs.

Conceivably a concert on Greenwood Hauptwerk installation could be worked into either the pre-glow or afterglow. There is also usually some time available for seminars. You can contact ATOS management through the web site at atos.org

Ray

dhm

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 4:35 pm

Depending on scheduling and cost, I might be interested.
I represent a very popular German console builder (sadly, recently deceased, but his family and colleagues are determined to keep the firm going).
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

cham-ed

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 7:11 pm

Sounds fantastic. And I'm two hours away in Central Illinois, so it's pretty easy for me to get there. Call this encouragement.

dw154515

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks, everyone. Let's keep this going. If I can get a genuine interest from vendors, then I think we can draw a crowd.

My thought was to have something like a Friday evening welcome concert, everyone breaks for dinner and goes to a hotel (I'd try to negotiate a good rate at one of the local hotels), then we'd kick off on Saturday morning with vendors set up in our banquet/fellowship hall, which is a very good size, where everyone could meet the various builders, sample set producers, and vendors out there, then throughout the day have a series of concerts, open console sessions, etc.

Sample set producers could either be there in person, or sponsor their own organist(s) to come give concerts to show off their sets. Being able to hear them on a 56 channel instrument, I think, would turn a lot of heads.

Those folks who are knowledgable in the areas of multi-channel setup, VST use, CODM coding, etc. could have scheduled lectures/presentations for folks interested in learning more about various topics.

If you know various vendors, sample set producers, etc. please pass this thread on to them.

If you happen to be a sample set producer, builder, vendor, etc. please reply or message me directly and let me know if you'd have a genuine interest in taking part in something like this. The more buzz surrounding it, the more likely it will happen.
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music & Website Admin - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumc.org
Design Engineer - American Sound and Electronics - Indy
https://americansound.cc/

robsig

PostMon Aug 12, 2019 4:33 pm

I would definitely be interested in attending, as an observer or player. I am not a tradesman so wouldn't be displaying wares. I attended the AGO 100th anniversary convention in my home town Philadelphia and there were thousands of attendees over a week. It was a memorable event and we all learned all kinds of things.

I think charging a fee is expected and totally justified.

Robsig Montreal

Bittern

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 5:50 pm

Yes, definitely interested!
Peter MacKinnon (Ontario, Canada)

bryanbierbaum

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 7:35 am

I would be interested in attending! Great idea!

profeluisegarcia

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 9:02 pm

I have been very interested in attending a HW Convention, provided a) I be in good heath and b) I could shake hands and thank directly to Brett and Martin.

Luis
Next

Return to General discussion