It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:45 pm

Swell indicators

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Re: Swell indicators

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 2:21 pm

Update. Didn't work out. Several reasons. A 7" tablet is too small to begin to read much of any fine print. This tablet is v-e-r-y slow in any function. Never did get it to talk to HW. Bottom line, sent it back. That return thing was a positive, no hassle. Amazon immediately sent a return approval, even prepaid the return trip via UPS. 3 hrs after dropping the package off at the UPS store, got an email from Amazon that a refund had been issued to my credit card.

Even tho, I can access (make changes, etc) by means of connecting my laptop to the organ computer, still think it would be neat to have built-in screen. Not sure how, yet as this console needs to remain headless with no computer stuff such as a (touch) screen or such normally visible. A small tablet hidden away in a drawer under the keydesk seemed :? like a plan. :cry:

I think this Fire series (somewhat proprietary) operating system is an issue as far as it not communicating with HW. This tablet is built around having fun, fun, fun (as in entertainment - such as watching.movies and playing games, that is if you have small fingers). :| It seems this tablet is targeting young kids as being a "starter".

Still looking for an option that works. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

murph

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi Ed,
technically not allowed, but the fires can be made run normal Android, rather than the Amazon version. They are much more useful that way (+ more responsive). I find they make good disposable remotes when they are at the lower price. (Or it's certainly less upsetting when they get dropped in mud/trampled on than a €350 i-pad!)

Tony

magnaton

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 5:29 pm

engrssc wrote:Not sure how, yet as this console needs to remain headless with no computer stuff such as a (touch) screen or such normally visible. A small tablet hidden away in a drawer under the keydesk seemed :? like a plan. :cry:

Hi Ed:
What were you running on the tablet? If you can run TouchOSC on the Android OS then its just some pre-programmed square or rectangle buttons. Sorry if I'm missing something.

For what it's worth, I added a Launchpad Mini (7.28" square) in a custom drawer under my keydesk. For recording and playback I have 5 buttons:
- Copy Registration
- MIDI/Wav Record
- Paste registration
<<play something>>
- Stop recording/playback
- Play

If someone is playing something I want to keep, I can pull out the drawer, press the 3 buttons in sequence and say "go". Later, I'll go back in Windows to rename the file.

Danny B.
Previous

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI