It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:19 am

Which Simple Midi Sequencer?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

ludu

Which Simple Midi Sequencer?

PostSun Sep 22, 2019 3:16 pm

Hello,

I would like to prepare new recordings with Hauptwerk, and clean them with a Midi sequencer before making WAV files, for a perfect result. All the DAW software I’ve found on the market have many very complicate functions for audio recordings, including loops, drum patterns, reverb, and many other tools, but I only need editing Midi tracks, 5% of their features. I’m working on Mac. Have you a idea of a sequencer mainly oriented to Midi events? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Luc

mnailor

Re: Which Simple Midi Sequencer?

PostSun Sep 22, 2019 3:21 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari ... sequencers

I don't use one, but this page might give a starting point while you wait for responses from somebody who does. :)

erikds

PostSun Sep 22, 2019 4:39 pm

Maybe Aria Maestosa can do the job?

https://ariamaestosa.github.io/ariamaestosa/docs/index.html

All the best.

Erik.

csw900

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 2:11 am

You don't need a midi sequencer you need a midi editor.

Cakewalk is one of the best for windows - as far as I know the Mac does not have a good midi editor. I always use windows for this task.

csw900

organassist

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 2:40 am

I think you may find that OrganAssist may be helpful. I have created it specifically for editing organ midi files, including a graphical interface for editing both registration and expression. It can import long Hauptwerk recordings and automatically split them into individual tracks including all necessary registration changes at the start of each track.

I am currently working on releasing version 3.1 which has significant improvements to the editing features. The most recent beta test of this is now available on my website on the Beta Test page.

Please let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

David (http://www.organassist.com)

ludu

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 6:20 am

Hello David,

Usually, I don’t engage stops individually in my Midi files. I prefer a ‘next step’ signal in order not to crowd the file with too many events. Does OrganAssist allow it? In this case, I don’t need to configure huge organs like PAB Gravissimo, Melbourne Town Hall, First Congregational Church Los Angeles, etc., not included in the list of preconfigured organs. Am I right?

On your site, I don’t see any mention about the price of OrganAssist. Could you please give us this information?

Cordially,
Luc

organassist

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 6:28 am

OrganAssist is free - I maintain it as a hobby to help other organists.

I am just working on a last minute problem and so the Beta Test page of my website will not be available today. (If anyone has downloaded the beta, please check for the updated version when available). I am also working on a video to demonstrate the new editing features.

I will update this post when I have done the update and it is available.

[Edit] The updated Beta Test is now available.
Last edited by organassist on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ludu

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 7:58 am

Many thanks for your great contribution to Hauptwerk’s community!
Luc

organassist

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 11:44 am

You are welcome, Ludu. I am pleased to say that I have now fixed the problem and the latest Beta Test (version 3.1.11) is now available.

I have also recorded a video, using this new version, that can be found here - https://youtu.be/zA49LejRIdY which demonstrates the following:

1. Import a MIDI file from a 4 manual instrument that includes multiple pieces and uses the crescendo pedal.
2. Automatically divide this file into separate tracks that include all registration and expression changes.
3. Edit pieces using a simple graphical interface to change notes, registration and expression
4. Start playing a track at any point and mute/solo individual divisions
5. Playback the same tracks on St Anne Moseley without any editing or configuration changes.
6. Show how tracks can be played without editing on ALL major manufacturers of digital organs (including, for example, Rodgers) and on pipe organ control systems like Peterson.
7. OrganAssist can export any edited tracks as standard MIDI files for playback using the Hauptwerk player.

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

[Edit] I have a configuration for Melbourne Town Hall and a layout (without MIDI) for PAB. The PAB is on the download page of my website. I need to check the MTH over before making it public. It is a challenge as OrganAssist only supports 5 manuals! OrganAssist is designed so that it must have the individual stops or the track cannot be played on other instruments.

ludu

PostTue Sep 24, 2019 9:26 am

Many thanks to everybody for your help!

@ mnailor: this list let me know few sequencers I didn’t know.
@ Erik: indeed, Aria Maestosa is an only Midi sequencer and very simple to use. However I’ve not chosen it because the tracks are too small for a global visibility, and it’s impossible to resize those windows.
@ csw900: I totally agree with you. When I was on Windows it was my favourite sequencer. But I’m happy to have forsaken this platform, without any regrets…
@ David: congratulations for your wonderful application! Unfortunately, it won’t work on my configuration for some reason you’re not responsible, but you were very kind to help me and to spend so much time for me.

Currently, I’m trying LMMS (https://lmms.io/?lang=en_US). I shall keep you informed later about my experience.

Cordially,
Luc

csw900

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 2:17 am

Hi ludu

I have just installed lmms (Windows 32 bit version). Having spent half an hour with it, trying to edit a midi file I was not impressed. Its got too many features I will never use. I am not interested in generating flashy audio files - I leave this to the pop stars.

Have you tried driving lmms with the midi output from an organ?

By the way, what operating system are you using it on?

csw900

ludu

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 5:26 am

Hello csw900,

You’re absolutely right! I’ve quickly made the same diagnostic. That’s also the problem with Cakewalk (the manual contains more than 1700 pages), Digital Performer, Cubase, Logic Pro X, etc.

Coming back to Aria Maestosa (a suggestion from erikds above), I notice that this application is better than its user’s manual, very incomplete. I’ve found the way to resize the tracks and I think it contains everything we need for organ music, without anything more. It works on macOS too (my platform).

Cordially,
Luc

csw900

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 5:57 am

Aria Maestosa is no good for editing HW organ midi files - it does not support nrpn and can work with only one midi channel!!

csw900

ludu

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 6:23 am

Up to now, I don’t see any problem using Aria Maestosa with Hauptwerk.

We don’t need NRPN events to change the stops. We’ve just to prepare the combinations and to use a Midi signal for the ‘next combination’, for instance a note or a controller that we auto-detect in Hauptwerk. In a separated track, we can put those signals, acting as markers too.

In the options, you can choose ‘Manual’ instead of ‘Automatic’ to manage the Midi channels. In this way, you can choose a different Midi channel for each track.
Luc

Return to General discussion