It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:27 pm

V is coming

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

jkinkennon

Re: V is coming

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 10:02 am

I'm currently on several subscription services including the full Adobe package, Office 365, Eagle for PCB layouts, instant ink for the HP printer, and I'm probably missing a few others. My web hosting service and internet access is also on a subscription basis. I can't imagine doing ordinary computer work without Windows 10. So it's a good thing that Hauptwerk is happy to run on the same setup without needing to set up a special computer with an outdated operating system.

Several programs require the iLok device for security. I do hope that will be the method HW V uses as it is flexible and has been reliable in my experience. Really excited to see what V provides and download it (via my internet connection).

david515mi

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 10:14 am

I would think that another feature would be automatic and immediate processing of license update requests. Brett has recently indicated that this capability would be forthcoming.

David
Last edited by david515mi on Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

engrssc

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 10:32 am

jkinkennon wrote:Several programs require the iLok device for security. I do hope that will be the method HW V uses as it is flexible and has been reliable in my experience. Really excited to see what V provides and download it (via my internet connection).

Agree, iLok is an excellent security system. Used extensively in the music world with a good track record..

Rgds,
Ed

Lougheed

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 2:04 pm

This is exciting news! I'm very much looking forward to the upgrade! :-)

Jan Loosman

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 2:09 pm

profeluisegarcia wrote:Hello all¡
I am so satisfied with v. 4.2.1 that I can not imagine any significant improvement from the announced V
Besides, ¿Isn´t more sophisticated software more likely to fail?
Luis

But if a new sample set is comming, your dream sample set! the one most eagerly awaited by you, and it is only i,lock protected.
Wouldn't you be forced to upgrade to the newest Hauptwerk version then??
So i think if we also want to play the newer sample sets, we are forced to upgrade.

Regards Jan

Grant_Youngman

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 5:12 pm

I would hazard a reasonable guess that this will NOT be the case. Don't know for sure, of course, but I doubt MDA is getting ready to shoot itself and sample set makers in the foot.

From what little I know about what's coming in HW V, it should be well worth the upgrade, or subscription, or whatever …
Grant

MPiercey

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 6:18 pm

If things are switching to ilock, I'm pretty sure that the encryption of all encrypted sample sets will have to be redone using the iLock encryption system. This will mean a lot of work for the sample-set producers, but the big problem that I see will be with encrypted sample sets that are no longer sold, such as FCCLA from CLR Resources. I bought the entire series of this set - what is going to happen to it, and others like it?? :roll:

While I agree that the iLock system is probably the best, I will be very upset if I am no longer able to use sample sets that I paid a lot of money for!
Last edited by MPiercey on Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

engrssc

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 6:20 pm

"Ain't" this time of anticipation great? 8) Reminds me of when we were kids before Christmas. We carefully "studied" the toy section of the Sears Christmas catalog. We were allowed one special toy based on the list we submitted to our folks. The other gifts were the practical kind like clothes.

Once in a while, we even got 2 special toys. Talk about happy days, like wow!! :lol: :lol:

Rgds,
Ed

giwro

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 9:28 pm

MPiercey wrote:If things are switching to ilok, I'm pretty sure that the encryption of all encrypted sample sets will have to be redone using the iLok encryption system. This will mean a lot of work for the sample-set producers, but the big problem that I see will be with encrypted sample sets that are no longer sold, such as FCCLA from CLR Resources. I bought the entire series of this set - what is going to happen to it, and others like it?? :roll:

While I agree that the iLok system is probably the best, I will be very angry if I am no longer able to use sample sets that I paid a lot of money for!

The FCCLA set has been successfully re-encrypted for HW V5, uploaded and tested, so at least in this case you will still be able to use something you paid for. :)

I've used iLok before - it is the protection schema for several other audio things I use.... one of the benefits of switching to this system will be that there will be no more back-and-forth emails and waiting for the dongle update... you will pay for a new sample set, and as soon as the sample producer has verification of payment, you can have a code to unlock your sample set. Right now, I'm not sure how to automate that part, but at the worst you might have to wait a few hours until the sample producer is awake and checks messages... or for those of us who don't do sample production full-time, it may take a few hours until we come home from our "real" job and check our email. :lol:

I bought a second-hand copy of the VST reverb Altiverb7 the other day - the seller submitted the transfer and the next day the license was ready to move to my iLok. It probably would have happened even faster, but I made the purchase during the weekend when Pace is out of the office.
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

MPiercey

PostThu Nov 07, 2019 9:49 pm

Thanks Jonathon, that make me feel much more comfortable about the switch over. Now I can begin getting excited about HW5 knowing I should not be loosing any of my sets. :)

ReinerS

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 3:45 am

I can also confirm that all my sample sets will be available for version V (and as a matter of fact they will be available both for 4.2 and V in parallel as long as there is demand for both versions), and I assume that ALL sample set producers who are still in business will have their sets ready (or nearly ready) for the new system at the time of release. So you can rest assured that you will be able to continue using your favorite sets after the upgrade.
It may be different for sample sets where the maker went out of business, I do not know what will happen with those.

Regards
Reiner

David Baldwin

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 5:37 am

I have got used to windows 10 upgrades. I think most of my glitches were associated with energy saving which a laptop needs. After each upgrade I would check which of them had been turned back on and then the the system was glitch free.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

OAM

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 6:31 am

OAM also has re-processed all sets for HW5 and downloadable on request.
Please email your personal sample set list, when you want to switch to HW5 and get the download links.
Prof. Helmut Maier
OrganArt Media Sound Engineering
D-88662 Überlingen/Lake Constance
http://www.organartmedia.com

smfrank

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 7:15 am

ReinerS wrote:It may be different for sample sets where the maker went out of business

Should we assume that installing V will allow us to keep 4 on the computer to use as a fall back?
Steve
Steven Frank

profeluisegarcia

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 8:03 am

Jan Loosman wrote:
profeluisegarcia wrote:
But if a new sample set is comming, your dream sample set! the one most eagerly awaited by you, and it is only i,lock protected.
Wouldn't you be forced to upgrade to the newest Hauptwerk version then??
So i think if we also want to play the newer sample sets, we are forced to upgrade.

Regards Jan

HW has been a superb effort of developers and pipe organ samplers and all we hauptwerkians are very grateful with them. Their work should be protected by any means from piracy, and it seems to me that HW V goes in this correct direction. Yes: if my dream organ (Lüneburg S. Johannis) is sampled, I´ll install this new version.
But, in addition to this valuable protection feature, what else do we expect from HW V?

Regards, Luis.
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion