It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 am

V is coming

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

dhm

Re: V is coming

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 9:05 am

ReinerS wrote:It may be different for sample sets where the maker went out of business, I do not know what will happen with those.

Regards
Reiner

Are there any of those? Maybe I missed something?
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

V.KÜTTINGER

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 12:20 pm

I must say that I'm really satisfied with HW 4.2 and have no real reason to upgrade to H5. So I ask me some questions. Of course, there were no updates of H4.2 since a long time, but the mention "buy or suscribe" means for me that HW 5 will be only a cash machine. You can answer that it's for a better security. The problem for me is that I have a dedicated computer for HW and it's never connected to the net and I don't want it'll be.
Other question is about the price of update from 4.2 to H5. I think it'll be certainly too expensive and encourage users to wait before buying (problems, bugs...).
What about "old" samples ? Yes, I've some HW 1 samples..... that are not so bad.
What about encryption (or no) of new samples ? A same encryption for H4 and H5 ? Must we reinstall all our samples without problems ? or HW5 is only an update that remain all our configuration ?
I hope that it will be a very detailed presentation of changes in the software just to know if it's worth to change. I don't want to spend money for a not better software..... but how could it be better as it's now ?
Wait and see !

orcoaffamato

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 1:38 pm

V.KÜTTINGER wrote:The problem for me is that I have a dedicated computer for HW and it's never connected to the net and I don't want it'll be.

Same here and also if they will use iLok I won't certainly upgrade, 'cause I had issues on my other win 10 PC, where I have Ableton Live and other plugins, thanks to their virus called iLok license manager. So I avoid any software that is protected by iLok

Lougheed

PostFri Nov 08, 2019 7:52 pm

If Hauptwerk 5 will use iLok it will be fine with me.

I use iLok on two systems. 69 activations. Never had a problem.

It is an industry standard.

adri

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 4:58 am

Instead of pre-judging the new HW5, you could take a wait and seen attitude and buy one month later once you know what's all about.

Whether a permanent internet connection is needed is not known at this point; it could only be the dongle that you could connect to a laptop eg. to upgrade something....who knows....

I am certain that the price for a new customer buying HW5 will be more than upgrading from your current HW version to HW5.

It's possible that a subscription will have certain advantages over buying it, like free upgrades, instant bug fixes, etc.

It's all a mystery at this point, but I am certain that the user Interface of HW5 will have improved tons, and thus will be easier to use, have some surprise new features, including anti-piracy safety, etc.

Martin Dyde's genius will shine once more! I congratulate this fantastic inventor, who has made our dream to play organs virtually in the warm comfort of our own home a reality, in advance!

Thank you Martin (and whoever else may have contributed)….

I am truly grateful for Hauptwerk!

It's absolutely fantastic!

TomBentley

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 8:24 am

Well, as for me, I'm just taking a calm wait and see stance. I am hoping for some special things ... I would love to see reverb included because I think anything engineered by MDA would hit that "top of the line" mark that nearly all of their work reaches. My personal exception to that (with tongue in my cheek) is the long awaited and desired by many a revamp of the Skinner set (sorry couldn't resist one little jab)! But I am a firm believer in the fact that anything Martin and Brett do will keep them in the leader of the pack in industry standards and a round of applause will certainly be deserved even if I don't get my wish!! So my advice is to keep calm, i doubt that the world is ending, and slow and steady goes far in a day. In the meantime I will pray that my wallet will withstand whatever comes its way.

Tom

sonar11

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 9:35 am

It's fun to speculate. MDA should have said nothing at all until they are ready to say it all at once, because now we're all speculating and getting tied up in knots.

All I can say is, "I don't subscribe". Never have, never will. As long as there is no difference in features or operation between either purchase model, I will do purchase. But if there is a difference, or we are constantly required to activate or ping a server with the new version to play encrypted sets, then I'm out.

That is my requirement: I pay once, use forever as long as I want, even if one or more of the companies I purchased from go out of business in the meantime.

Subscription is the most horrid finance model I've ever encountered, whether it's renting or leasing a car or paying for software, the customer is always getting the short end of the stick.

If you can't afford it outright, you can't afford to subscribe to it either. You don't have a choice sometimes (if you're poor and need a house), but we all know the customer is getting shafted.

Just my 2 cents.

smfrank

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 10:57 am

From another category:

Introduction of the new Steinmeyer Valley Sampleset
Postby tf11972 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:45 am
<Snip>
After the release of Hauptwerk V in a few weeks the sampleset is available to buy.
There will be no HW4-version.

Steve
Steven Frank

sokrat

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 11:11 am

Hauptwerk is a niche product with a limited number of customers. In my opinion, such a market requires a model of regular income for the producer in order to ensure long-term development. For me, Hauptwerk is so important that I am willing to pay an annual fee if it can ensure the further development of this great product.

sokrat

engrssc

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 12:00 pm

[quote="smfrank"After the release of Hauptwerk V in a few weeks the sampleset is available to buy.
There will be no HW4-version.Steve[/quote]

There are no new sample sets being produced for HW Versions 1, 2, or 3 either.

Rgds,
Ed

sonar11

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 12:23 pm

sokrat wrote:Hauptwerk is a niche product with a limited number of customers. In my opinion, such a market requires a model of regular income for the producer in order to ensure long-term development. For me, Hauptwerk is so important that I am willing to pay an annual fee if it can ensure the further development of this great product.

sokrat

You're "nice guy" feeling on this will get you into trouble after spending many thousands of dollars on a setup, only to possibly have MDA go under and then all your stuff just stops working when you're unable to renew your subscription.

You need to stop and think about what you're suggesting. I'm fulling willing and able to pay MDA for their software. But it HAS to be a product that will continue to work after an initial purchase, without further contact with MDA or a SS provider, so that I'm not left with a $20,000 paper weight.

engrssc

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 3:00 pm

sonar11 wrote:so that I'm not left with a $20,000 paper weight.

Or a fancy boat anchor. Over the years, I've unfortunately collected a few of those. So I do understand where you are coming from. :shock:

Rgds,
Ed

sokrat

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 4:34 am

Meanwhile, I've "stopped and thought." Despite your nice words I came to the same result. The long-term development of Hauptwerk is more important to me than a few dollars in the savings account. By the way, what are the benefits of your "thousands of dollars" sample sets when Hauptwerk disappears from the market?

sokrat

Purator

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 7:34 am

I very, very much oppose all software licenses that are on a subscription basis. What you do is basically renting your software - and both parties can cancel at any time. Which means, while it is a great way to try something out, if you chose to continue you are completely dependent on the goodness of the licenser.

Now the catch is that there also might be situations where the licenser might be forced to revoke a license. Just think about the current situation between the USA and Venezuela. Because of the embargo, Adobe is no longer allowed to offer its creative cloud to users based in Venezuela which means that all user accounts are currently canceled and only those who have bought the software can continue to use it. And mind you, Brexit is coming!

Also, another catch is the general ownership of the right to license. There are quite a lot of older films and music pieces that currently cannot be legally published because nobody knows who owns the rights. And nobody wants to find out by publishing and then waiting who files a lawsuit...

I therefore do not want to be dependent on a licenser after I have exchanged money for a license. That is why I decided to only consider unencrypted sample sets (with a corresponding licende), with the PAB my only exception - simply for the reason that the IA-license allows me, simply said, to do what I want without further consulting them.

As HW V offers the options to either buy or subscribe I am very happy to buy it given the new features and fixes justify the price.

(As a side note, I recently upgraded Win10 and with that upgrade, MS removed the old sketching tool. The new one is all cloud-integrated and cannot be used without an internet connection. Which is wonderful if one is on a train through the countryside where even the WiFi offered by the train company has no connection. This just as a reminder why some "always-on"-based subscription is a very bad idea...)

sonar11

PostSun Nov 10, 2019 7:47 am

sokrat wrote:Meanwhile, I've "stopped and thought." Despite your nice words I came to the same result. The long-term development of Hauptwerk is more important to me than a few dollars in the savings account. By the way, what are the benefits of your "thousands of dollars" sample sets when Hauptwerk disappears from the market?

sokrat

No you haven't "stopped and thought" because you're not understanding what I'm saying.

I fully support HW, financially, emotionally, etc. I want to see it to continue. And I have no problems paying for it.

But, it has to be an upfront, one time purchase. So that if (God Forbid) something happens to Brett/Martin/MDA and HW becomes dead, then my investment (though it may not grow any further) will not stop working. And if HW 6.0 comes out in X amount of years, then I will gladly purchase another upgrade then, but again, it must be a one time payment with no possibility of it expiring for any reason.

With a subscription model, when you stop paying, your software stops working at the end of the year (or subscription period whatever it may be). If HW is no longer alive to be renewed, then that's it, you can no longer use your system. That's a dangerous position to be in with such a tiny company and such a large investment by myself in its products.
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion