It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:32 am

Is this worth doing?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

Jeff C

Is this worth doing?

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 1:15 pm

Sadly, the other day, my old laptop finally gave up the ghost. May it rest in peace as it really wasn't worth repairing. Fortunately though it wasn't used for anything Hauptwerk related.

The computer I use for Hauptwerk contains a 2tb hard drive and from the old laptop I managed to rescue a 500gb Crucial SSD which was only added fairly recently in an attempt to make it fly quicker - it did.

I have an idea now to incorporate the spare SSD into my HW computer somehow, but was wondering whether it would be worth it given the difference in capacity between the two. Either way, I would still need to keep the 2tb drive in there which would obviously slow the whole system down somewhere.

The organ build is still an ongoing project and that's where available funds are being diverted currently, so to think about adding a further or larger SSD is not really an option at the moment.

Is this worth considering, and if so, what would be the best thing to run from the SSD, and what should remain on the hard drive?

Thanks......Jeff

IainStinson

Re: Is this worth doing?

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 1:24 pm

You could install the SSD as an addition drive and use it to hold the Hauptwerk cache files - organs would probably load faster. Iain

rayjcar

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 4:21 pm

I think it's worth doing. You should consider making the SSD your main (boot) drive. As long as the total occupied space on you HDD doesn't exceed 500 Gb, the cloning program will allow to to clone it as a system disk.
I recently replaced 1 Tb hard drivers on my Hauptwerk PC with 250 Gb Samsung 860 EVO drives.It was a very simple process, using the data migration utility. Any cloning program that allows you to clone a system disk will allow you to substitute the SSD as the main drive, and you can keep the HDD as a backup. In the event of a disk failure (or a failed Windows upgrade, which I recently experienced), you can just changed the boot order in the bios and boot from the spare drive.

The key question is whether 500 Gb is enough for your main drive to store your operating system and all the samples. I had only used up 128 Gb on my 1 TB drive, so I still have plenty of room left for more sample sets.

So now I have two identical SSDs, both of which are capable of booting up. Whenever I do a (successful) Windows update, add a sample set, or modify my Hauptwerk settings, I re-clone the main drive to the backup. It only takes about 20 minutes. Belt and suspenders.

Ray

engrssc

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 4:39 pm

Excellent - free - cloning software - Standard version is all you need:

https://www.aomeitech.com/ab/standard-edition.html?ref=en.nav.backup-software

Another useful - free- program is Partition Assistant Lite ((Standard Edition)

https://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-partition-assistant.html?ref=en.nav.partition-manager

Rgds,
Ed

Jeff C

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 1:23 pm

Gentlemen …. many thanks for your help with this. It's all sorted.

Although there is quite a difference in the size of the drives (2tb to 500gb) I decided, in the end, to clone the entire drive. Although the organ is usable there is still a way to go before I would be happy to declare it 'finished' (if it ever is !) so up to now the purchase of lots of different sample sets have not been a priority. I have enough to keep me going at the moment and there is still something like 275gb free space remaining if I decide I need any more. I am also conscious, of course, that we have V on the horizon so things could change anyway.

The cloning software worked flawlessly (thanks Ed) so all in all, with a system that flies well and is now fully backed-up - I am a happy bunny.

I am indebted to you all.

engrssc

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 2:32 pm

Hi Jeff,

What's nice about that program, it also clones (copies) the OS making an identical bootable disk. Certainly good, nice to have "insurance"

Another useful (free) program from the same source:

https://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Computer hardware / specs