It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am

Migrating to HW 5 - Hasp usb dongle

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

IainStinson

Migrating to HW 5 - Hasp usb dongle

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 4:36 am

Reading this post http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833#p133611 I was wondering about the future of the (much loved) HASP dongle and it’s driver.

The dongle and driver must be installed for running HW 4.2. The iLOK licensing dongle or iLOK cloud needs to connected to complete the HW 5 installation

Am I correct that the 4.2 dongle and driver should also remain attached / installed until the licences from the HW 4 system are transferred to the special file mentioned in the post is created when the special function to migrate the licences is invoked?

When Hauptwerk is run after this time, can the HASP dongle and it’s drivers be detached/ uninstalled and not be needed (ever) again for running HW 5 and above?

I understand that the special file must be sent to MDA who will process this and add the licences from the dongle to the users iLOK account and that they may be installed onto the users iLOK device or used from the iLOK cloud. I also understand that the special function to create the file which is send to MDA also deletes the licences from the usb dongle.

Have I got this right?

Related point. If the iLOK device is maintained on a separate internet connected computer, rather than on a computer not connected to the internet which is used to play HW 5, does the iLOK manager need to be installed on the computer used to play HW 5 or are all the functions needed bundle into the HW 5 executable?

Thanks in advance. Iain

mdyde

Re: Migrating to HW 5 - Hasp usb dongle

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 5:40 am

Hello Iain,

IainStinson wrote:Am I correct that the 4.2 dongle and driver should also remain attached / installed until the licences from the HW 4 system are transferred to the special file mentioned in the post is created when the special function to migrate the licences is invoked?

Correct. When a person buys an upgrade to v5 they'll be emailed the full instructions, which cover that. The current versions of the HASP drivers are here (updated recently, e.g. for macOS 10.15 'Catalina' support): http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/

IainStinson wrote:When Hauptwerk is run after this time, can the HASP dongle and it’s drivers be detached/ uninstalled and not be needed (ever) again for running HW 5 and above?

Also correct.

IainStinson wrote:I understand that the special file must be sent to MDA who will process this and add the licences from the dongle to the users iLOK account and that they may be installed onto the users iLOK device or used from the iLOK cloud. I also understand that the special function to create the file which is send to MDA also deletes the licences from the usb dongle.

Have I got this right?

Yes -- that's all correct too.

IainStinson wrote:Related point. If the iLOK device is maintained on a separate internet connected computer, rather than on a computer not connected to the internet which is used to play HW 5, does the iLOK manager need to be installed on the computer used to play HW 5 or are all the functions needed bundle into the HW 5 executable?

You should still install the latest version of iLok License Manager on the (e.g. non-Internet-connected) computer running Hauptwerk, even if you maintained the licences via a different (Internet-connected) computer. The driver is installed as part of iLok License Manager.

(I think it might technically be the case that PACE's components used in Hauptwerk would actually attempt to install a version of the iLok runtime/driver if iLok License Manager wasn't present, but even if so I wouldn't rely on that since it would risk being a non-current one, given that it would be whatever version happened to be current at the point in time that the Hauptwerk version was compiled.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 5:55 am

In that regard, can we understand that any iLok updates would be sent directly from Pace and then these updates would need to be applied to the (not connected to the Internet) computer (manually)? Esp in the case of adding new sample sets. I know I am reading ahead before receiving all the information, but need to make plans regarding a distant client who is using my licenses on one of my demo organs.

The complication is that the present dongle or the (future) iLok device can't be "mailed" for such as an update, as the organ would not, of course function during that time. The future plan is that they purchase their own licenses, but that won't happen immediately.

As well, a big organ rep is telling them that with their (big organ) there is no need for the iLok complications. I don't think that is enough of a compelling reason to abandon their HW instrument, but I'm trying to be prepared with answers. I also told them, in their case we would not consider making any changes until after Christmas.

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 6:20 am

Thank you Martin.
Iain

mdyde

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 6:35 am

Thanks, Iain. You're very welcome, as always.

engrssc wrote:In that regard, can we understand that any iLok updates would be sent directly from Pace and then these updates would need to be applied to the (not connected to the Internet) computer (manually)? Esp in the case of adding new sample sets. I know I am reading ahead before receiving all the information, but need to make plans regarding a distant client who is using my licenses on one of my demo organs.

Hello Ed,

v4->v5 migrated sample set licences will go directly into the iLok account you specify when performing the migration.

You then need to activate them to wherever you like (e.g. an iLok dongle) using iLok License Manager. Activating any licence does need an Internet connection (at least temporarily), but you can do it on a computer other than your main Hauptwerk computer (e.g. if that isn't connected to the Internet), then move the dongle (which will then contain the licence) back to the Hauptwerk computer:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833#p133846
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

OrganoPleno

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 10:14 am

engrssc wrote:I need to make plans regarding a distant client who is using my licenses on one of my demo organs.

The complication is that the present dongle or the (future) iLok device can't be "mailed" for such as an update, as the organ would not, of course function during that time. The future plan is that they purchase their own licenses, but that won't happen immediately.

Here's a way you can share licenses with your Client, quickly and without "mailing". Have your client set up an iLok account, and give YOU the password. Each of you should have a Dongle registered to that account, and there should be a Cloud account also. Then on YOUR system, with your Dongle, get everything licensed for them just the way you want. Then you transfer those licenses from your Dongle to the Cloud, and your Client transfers those licenses from the Cloud to their own Dongle.

So they quickly receive their own licenses, and you both know exactly where it stands.

OrganoPleno

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 10:18 am

OrganoPleno wrote:So they quickly receive their own licenses, and you both know exactly where it stands.

And if you need to get your own licenses back, they can be returned to you the same way. Then you can transfer the licenses to a Dongle registered in your own account. Even if there is a fee for this transfer, it probably beats the fees for round-trip Express Delivery of a physical Dongle.

engrssc

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 10:41 am

Do appreciate the thoughts, thanks.

I did think of these options previously, but this client(s) are not very techy proficient, altho really great musicians and do very much appreciate Hauptwerk..

The instrument is headless and the thought of them getting into the organ's inards isn't the best idea either.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Technical support