It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:12 pm

Additive stepper or stepwise crescendo

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

mnailor

Additive stepper or stepwise crescendo

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 9:22 am

My goal is to start from any appropriate base registration and add to it incrementally or back up one step at a time, without turning off the original stops and couplers. I would preset a few common sequences of crescendos that are always added in the same order starting from variable base registrations.

For example, fonds (whatever pitches), then add anches by division. Different sequences to include 16' reeds or not, and to include upperwork or not. Similarly, add diapasons in ascending pitches and then chorus reeds for English music, with a few variations in order. In French organs, the ventils and couplers can do the job, but not for other organs.

So I'd like to be able to use two pistons to increment and decrement single steps through a crescendo sequence. Or have a master stepper option that adds to the starting, non-stepper registration instead of replacing it.

My left hand is impaired enough that thumb pistons are difficult to press, so I have to do this with foot controls.

This would work exactly like the master crescendo, but controlled from two momentary pistons (+ and -) for moving between stages. It could actually be done with the master crescendo if it didn't require a continuous controller for the slider, or if I could get the right or left arrow followed by Edit to trigger from a single momentary piston.

The reason the crescendo pedal won't work for me is that hitting the right stage is too imprecise. I've tried grouping the stages by setting 5 or 6 contiguous stages to the same combination and still don't have the precision necessary to reliably add to the registration when I want to. The continuous controller (a crescendo pedal) is too hard to move gradually.

The master stepper works fine except that there are too many sequences to set up to accommodate different starting registrations.

I use 8 reversibles from toe studs to emulate this behavior now, but I find it difficult to remember which one to turn off to go backwards one step. Also, I keep stumbling on the fact that master reversibles I haven't pressed yet will arm themselves to turn off instead of on when their registration happens to be turned on by another piston, so I sometimes accidentally turn off the things I want to add. (Can't look sideways at the monitor while playing, so the reversible lighting itself up doesn't help.)

Can anybody think of another way to do this with existing HW 4.2 capabilities?

Thank you.

mkc1

Re: Additive stepper or stepwise crescendo

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 10:36 am

I think the requirement "without turning off the original stops and couplers" just about excludes everything except a crescendo pedal type thing, but I agree that those are rather imprecise. I've sometimes wondered how Olivier Latry, et. al manage improvisations using just a stepper, but I guess they're familiar with what's registered at each step, so they're not starting from a base registration and expecting it to be incrementally added-to but otherwise unaffected.

The only thing that comes to mind is that you could use something like a Teensy or other microcontroller to emulate a continuous controller based on input from a couple of pistons. I.e. every time the 'up' piston is pushed, the teensy would send a MIDI CC message with a value x higher than the previous value and likewise with the 'down' piston is pushed. Would involve a bit of programming though.

mnailor

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 11:18 am

Interesting idea. I wonder if I could do that in software. I can't put together DIY electronics.

Thanks.

mdyde

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 11:32 am

Hello nmailor,

[Topic moved here.]

I confirm that it isn't currently natively possible to do exactly what you're hoping for (increment/decrement additive registrations via two MIDI pistons) within Hauptwerk. However, I'll log as enhancement request that it could be useful to be able to use a pair of increment/decrement pistons to step the master crescendo through its stages.

In the meantime, my first thoughts too would be to use some external piece of hardware or software. E.g. perhaps you could use something like Bome's MIDI Translator, or MIDI-OX to do it -- I'm not sure, off-hand.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mkc1

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 11:45 am

mnailor wrote:Interesting idea. I wonder if I could do that in software. I can't put together DIY electronics.
Yes, you probably could. I have some java code to route MIDI between the TouchOSC Bridge and Mac IAC Devices because HW4 can't seem to see the TouchOSC Device. A similar program could probably listen to MIDI messages from your two pistons, and send MIDI CC messages based on the value of the previous message sent and which piston was pressed.

I'm not familiar with Bome's MIDI Translator, which Martin mentioned, but that might be an easier way to do it if it's part of that package's capabilities.

mnailor

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Thank you, Martin.

mdyde

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 12:20 pm

Thanks. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 12:20 pm

mkc1 wrote:
mnailor wrote:Interesting idea. I wonder if I could do that in software. I can't put together DIY electronics.
Yes, you probably could. I have some java code to route MIDI between the TouchOSC Bridge and Mac IAC Devices because HW4 can't seem to see the TouchOSC Device. A similar program could probably listen to MIDI messages from your two pistons, and send MIDI CC messages based on the value of the previous message sent and which piston was pressed.

I'm not familiar with Bome's MIDI Translator, which Martin mentioned, but that might be an easier way to do it if it's part of that package's capabilities.

I'll look into that. Thank you!

Return to Technical support