It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:29 am

New Requirement: HW Licencing Pkgs

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

OrganoPleno

New Requirement: HW Licencing Pkgs

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 1:09 pm

In reading about the new HW V release, I was surprised to learn that any newly-licensed Sample Sets will not run until or unless they are referenced in a database which we are supposed to download from MDA.

On the one hand, this does introduce some possible delay in accessing new Sample Sets, in case the Sample Set producer releases the Set before MDA has updated their database.

On the other hand, this does maintain central control over all Sample Sets released with iLok licensing (as was previously the case with the HASP dongle for HW 2-4). This enables MDA to maintain awareness of what is being made available, and also gives them the opportunity to insist on some standard of quality, should they wish to do so.

mdyde

Re: New Requirement: HW Licencing Pkgs

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 1:23 pm

Hello OrganoPleno,

When a sample set producer wants to release a new iLok-licensed copy-protected sample set they need to contact MDA so that we can set up the relevant products and allocate to them the necessary details for encrypting the sample set. In those respects it's exactly the same with v5 as it was v2-v4 (although the actual licensing system is now PACE-based, rather than HASP-based, of course). The necessary licensing package(s) are generated and added into the central master licensing packages file as part of that allocation process.

Hence there are no additional delays, and no more additional central control, in any of those respects, compared to v2-v4. For sample sets that *aren't* licensed via the iLok system, no per-product action is needed on MDA's part, so the sample set producer doesn't need to contact us in that case and can release them independently.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

giwro

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 1:28 pm

OrganoPleno wrote:In reading about the new HW V release, I was surprised to learn that any newly-licensed Sample Sets will not run until or unless they are referenced in a database which we are supposed to download from MDA.

On the one hand, this does introduce some possible delay in accessing new Sample Sets, in case the Sample Set producer releases the Set before MDA has updated their database.

On the other hand, this does maintain central control over all Sample Sets released with iLok licensing (as was previously the case with the HASP dongle for HW 2-4). This enables MDA to maintain awareness of what is being made available, and also gives them the opportunity to insist on some standard of quality, should they wish to do so.

And at least for us, we will make sure we have the ok from MDA that the relevant set has been updated prior to release. We’d have to test the encrypted set on HW-V prior to release, and that would require the database to be updated... so it’s kind of a built-in safety event to keep that from happening. We also will need to order the iLok license codes ahead of time - one other thing that would prompt the database update. So, I think there is almost no chance of this happening.
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

OrganoPleno

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 1:35 pm

Thank You both for explaining. This does make sense.

smfrank

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 9:57 pm

I'm having a lot of trouble getting sets to load.
I have installed v.5 files and the licensing packages.
My iLok is all set up, my licenses all appear in the license manager.
Here's the error:
http://stevenfrank.com/error.html
I am at a loss!
Steve
Steven Frank

mnailor

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 10:10 pm

smfrank: After HW 5 moved your licenses to your ilok account, they show up as not activated. Did you activate the license for this sampleset?

You have to individually activate each license to your ilok dongle if that's what you're using. I assume to use the cloud you also have to activate each license. Activate is a button under Show Details when you select the license in ilok manager.

smfrank

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 10:23 pm

mnailor wrote:smfrank: After HW 5 moved your licenses to your ilok account, they show up as not activated. Did you activate the license for this sampleset?

You have to individually activate each license to your ilok dongle if that's what you're using. I assume to use the cloud you also have to activate each license. Activate is a button under Show Details when you select the license in ilok manager.

Yes I did that. I have 45 licenses activated on my dongle. And yes, the Hereford which is the error.
Steven Frank

mdyde

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 7:39 am

Hello smfrank,

The error message you're getting indicates that the PACE software can't find an activated licence for that particular sample set (Hereford vol. 2). In PACE's software, I've queried the status of the Hauptwerk-related licences for your iLok account, and all of the sample sets currently show with a status of 'Initial state' (although located on your iLok dongle), whereas if they've been activated properly they should show as 'Active'. Hence it does indeed appear that somehow you haven't actually activated the licences.

Please:

- Make sure your iLok2 dongle is attached to the computer.

- In iLok License Manager, make sure that you're signed in.

- Locate the licence for the Hereford vol. 2 in the list of licences. (I think you will probably see it on the 'Available' tab, but if not then you should be able to find it via the 'All Licenses' tab.)

- Right-click on that entry for the Hereford vol. 2. You should see a menu item 'Activate'. (If not, please let us know.) Click it, and choose to activate it to your dongle.

- Assuming that works, do likewise for all of your other sample set licences. (I can see that none of them currently show as activate, so they all need activating.) You can highlight all of the sample sets at once, so that you can activate them all at once.

Does that solve it?
Best regards, Martin.

smfrank

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 8:14 am

mdyde wrote:The error message you're getting indicates that the PACE software can't find an activated licence
...snip..Hence it does indeed appear that somehow you haven't actually activated the licences.
...snip...Does that solve it?

They were showing as activated locally to my iLok, but I deactivated it then reactivated.
Voila! It worked.
Thank you VERY much!
Steve
Steven Frank

mdyde

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 10:09 am

Thanks, Steve.

Not sure how they could have ended up in that state, but glad to it's resolved! Hope you enjoy the new version.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to General discussion