It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:58 pm

Does installing V5 in and of itself nuke 4?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

DaveMax

Does installing V5 in and of itself nuke 4?

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 9:50 pm

If I install V5 on my HW PC will that by itself overwrite and kill the 4.2.1 installation?

This is a different question than migration, which as I understand it only happens when a valid V4 dongle is found and the correct migrate command given. I know you cannot run both versions on the same machine, but can they coexist in any sense to permit me to see what V5 looks like before committing to the destruction of V4?

Also, will an install of V5 clear out old cache files or V4 organ files, or must the user do this housekeeping first?

Thanks for any experienced replies.

Dave McCallister

mnailor

Re: Does installing V5 in and of itself nuke 4?

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 11:18 pm

The HW 5 installer replaces HW 4 if present. About the only ways to back out of a trial on the same machine would be a full disk image backup and restore, or possibly uninstall HW 5 without migrating licenses, install HW 4, and restore your user settings backup and reinstall your samplesets. I may be missing some potential hazards there.

You don't have to clear out old cached organs or uninstall V4 organs before installing their V5 versions. HW 5 will recache every organ when you load it. Reinstalling the samplesets overlays their data and organ packages.

The only cleanup I had to do was to delete V4 RAR files when I got V5 RAR files for that particular organ, to save space. The V5 installation RAR files are named differently from the V4 files they replaced, at least for the four producers' files I've downloaded so far.

Don't reinstall V4 organs that weren't encrypted or dongle licensed -- those work in V5.

mdyde

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 5:41 am

Hello Dave,

[Topic moved here.]

To add to nmailor's reply (thanks), only one one version of Hauptwerk can be installed on any given computer (operating system boot partition) at a time. Installing a newer version of Hauptwerk upgrades the existing installation, and the only supported way to get the installation back to the earlier version is to un-install Hauptwerk completely, selecting the option in the un-installer to remove all settings/files/etc., and then to install the earlier version again 'from clean'. (Provided that you use the 'File | Backup ...' menu function in the earlier version *before* installing the newer version, then you could always get your settings/combinations/voicing back, but would need to re-install all organs.)

However, if you had used v5's 'File | Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version ...' menu function then you would *not* be able to revert to v4 because your licences would then work only in v5.

It's also covered in my FAQ here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833#p133612
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

DaveMax

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 7:35 am

Thanks mnailor and Martin for clearing things up.

Martin, I tested V5 on a MacPro and found that the Rank Voicing screen's left-to-right scroll bar disappears right after I bring up the window, making adjustments below note 44 impossible. And once I set this screen to full screen to try to access what I could not reach, there was no way to get V5 to let me reduce its size other than manually (there is no center button in upper left of window for normal view). Otherwise V5 seems OK. MacPro 5,1 64GB 12 core nVidia GTX680. No prior HW installs. High Sierra 10.13.6. 30-inch Cinema display.

Tried V5 on a test Windows PC and this scrolling behavior is normal.

RichardW

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 8:22 am

DaveMax wrote:Martin, I tested V5 on a MacPro and found that the Rank Voicing screen's left-to-right scroll bar disappears ...

Have you seen this? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17984&p=135320&hilit=scroll#p135320

regards,
Richard

mdyde

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 8:54 am

Hello Dave,

DaveMax wrote:Martin, I tested V5 on a MacPro and found that the Rank Voicing screen's left-to-right scroll bar disappears right after I bring up the window, making adjustments below note 44 impossible. And once I set this screen to full screen to try to access what I could not reach, there was no way to get V5 to let me reduce its size other than manually (there is no center button in upper left of window for normal view). Otherwise V5 seems OK. MacPro 5,1 64GB 12 core nVidia GTX680. No prior HW installs. High Sierra 10.13.6. 30-inch Cinema display.

Tried V5 on a test Windows PC and this scrolling behavior is normal.

I'll reply via your original thread ( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17984 ).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support