It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:37 am

Mac voicing screen scroll bar missing - possible bug?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

DaveMax

Mac voicing screen scroll bar missing - possible bug?

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 5:25 pm

(Mac version, don't know about PC)

Rank voicing screen has no horizontal scroll bar as in the past, cannot adjust anything below note 44, same with full screen or reduced.

Correction: bar appears briefly then goes away after window is opened. Also this screen in my system always appears full screen no matter what. The usual red/yellow/green upper left sizing buttons only have the red and green ones.

There may be other graphical oddities as well; will keep looking.

M. Qualley

Site Admin

Re: Possible bug for Martin's list

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 6:48 pm

I will pass this on to Martin.

Thanks!
Michelle
Michelle Qualley
Director of Marketing & Business Operations
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

mdyde

Re: Possible bug for Martin's list

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 5:09 am

Hello Dave,

[Topic moved here and topic title edited to clarify its subject.]

What version of macOS are you using? Are you using a high-DPI (e.g. 'Retina') display?

The horizontal scroll bar is definitely present for me on macOS 10.13 (non-high-DPI, and also on Windows):

Hauptwerk-v5.0.0-VoicingScreen-macOs10.13.png

It's normal and expected that there would be only two enabled window control buttons at the left of its title bar (red, green). If you click the green one and/or resize the window by dragging its bottom-right corner, so that it's smaller than the screen, can you get the horizontal scroll bar to appear? Thanks.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

Re: Mac voicing screen scroll bar missing - possible bug?

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 9:04 am

Hello again, Dave.

I'm replying here to your new question on this from your other thread:

DaveMax wrote:Martin, I tested V5 on a MacPro and found that the Rank Voicing screen's left-to-right scroll bar disappears right after I bring up the window, making adjustments below note 44 impossible. And once I set this screen to full screen to try to access what I could not reach, there was no way to get V5 to let me reduce its size other than manually (there is no center button in upper left of window for normal view). Otherwise V5 seems OK. MacPro 5,1 64GB 12 core nVidia GTX680. No prior HW installs. High Sierra 10.13.6. 30-inch Cinema display.

Tried V5 on a test Windows PC and this scrolling behavior is normal.

On your Mac, if you exit Hauptwerk and temporarily try running it via a previously-unused 'Hauptwerk (alt config N)' configuration (desktop shortcut), do you still see the same issue?

(I wonder whether perhaps the last-saved window position for that window has become slightly wrong somehow. The various configurations have independent settings and states.)
Best regards, Martin.

Grant_Youngman

Re: Does installing V5 in and of itself nuke 4?

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 9:11 am

DaveMax wrote:Thanks mnailor and Martin for clearing things up.

Martin, I tested V5 on a MacPro and found that the Rank Voicing screen's left-to-right scroll bar disappears right after I bring up the window, making adjustments below note 44 impossible. And once I set this screen to full screen to try to access what I could not reach, there was no way to get V5 to let me reduce its size other than manually (there is no center button in upper left of window for normal view). Otherwise V5 seems OK. MacPro 5,1 64GB 12 core nVidia GTX680. No prior HW installs. High Sierra 10.13.6. 30-inch Cinema display.

Tried V5 on a test Windows PC and this scrolling behavior is normal.

Just rechecked on Catalina, and no problems with the scroll bar.

As to coming out of full screen — you simply click the green (right) button a second time. If you go full screen in a macOS window, the center yellow button disappears. That's normal behavior.
Grant

DaveMax

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 9:40 am

Martin:

MacPro V5 using Alt1 config: same behavior. Horizontal scroll bar appears for one second and then fades away.

smfrank

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 11:24 am

DaveMax wrote:Horizontal scroll bar appears for one second and then fades away.

Have you checked System Preferences: General - Show scroll bars:
Automatically ...
When scrolling
Always

Steve
Steven Frank

DaveMax

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 11:46 am

smfrank: that fixed it.

When I chose Always the window works properly. I guess the HW Mac code for this screen does not think the bar should appear when this preference is set to "Automatic."

Thank you very much.

mdyde

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 11:56 am

DaveMax wrote:MacPro V5 using Alt1 config: same behavior. Horizontal scroll bar appears for one second and then fades away.

Thanks, Dave.

To confirm, prior to launching it just now, had you ever previously launched that 'alt config 1' since installing v5?

Have you perhaps changed any macOS preferences for text/font size settings or screen scaling from their defaults? (I wonder whether maybe something is getting scaled incorrectly, causing the window to end up the wrong height initially.)

On the voicing screen, if you click the green 'full-screen' button in the window title bar, does the scroll bar then appear? How about if you then click it a second time?

If you manually drag the bottom-right of the voicing screen to resize it, does the scroll bar reappear?
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 11:58 am

Hello Dave,

P.S. I see you and I replied at the same time. Glad to hear it's fixed now, and no need to answer the questions I'd just posted in that case.
Best regards, Martin.

DaveMax

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 2:30 pm

Thanks, Dave.

To confirm, prior to launching it just now, had you ever previously launched that 'alt config 1' since installing v5?

No, this was the first time

Have you perhaps changed any macOS preferences for text/font size settings or screen scaling from their defaults? (I wonder whether maybe something is getting scaled incorrectly, causing the window to end up the wrong height initially.)

No preferences ever changed. Window size is normal in Alt (N) startup but remains full screen in primary HW startup. Cannot find a way for it to remember being smaller anymore.

On the voicing screen, if you click the green 'full-screen' button in the window title bar, does the scroll bar then appear? How about if you then click it a second time?

As to scroll bar, clicking green button did nothing before selecting "Always" in General Preferences as outlined earlier, whether clicked once , twice, or many times.

If you manually drag the bottom-right of the voicing screen to resize it, does the scroll bar reappear?

Before Gen Preferences change, scroll bar invariably appeared for one second and then faded out.. Dragging window boundaries had no effect.
My HW V5 will eventually be on Windows so this will not affect me. My concern was for Mac users who might encounter the issue.

mdyde

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 3:22 pm

Thanks, Dave.

It works properly for me on macOS 10.13.6 irrespective of Apple's scroll bar preference, but it's useful to know that some Macs seem to need to a particular setting for that.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support