It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:05 pm

Subwoofer setup

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

hanslatour

Subwoofer setup

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 1:08 pm

I have a subwoofer which distributes the sound to front speakers using crossover. I'm now puzzled how to setup this in HW V.
I point the front speakers (=subwoofer+speakers) to the channel where the subwoofer is connected. That works well, but do I also point the "Mstr mix bus 3 'Stereo mix 3 (sub-woofer)" of is this double?

mdyde

Re: Subwoofer setup

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Hello hanslatour,

If you just have one pair of speakers that are driven via a hardware connection (crossover output) from the subwoofer, then just drive it all from the main 'Mstr mix bus 1 Stereo mix 1 (main/recording)' bus, and ignore (don't also use audio output from) the 'Mstr mix bus 3 Stereo mix 3 (sub-woofer)' bus. The latter is intended for handling the sub-woofer routing within software, but it's not relevant if you're handling the routing directly in hardware anyway.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mwdiers

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 1:25 pm

(deleted)

hanslatour

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 6:15 am

Thanks Martin, but I also have a speakerset which handles the rear sound.
I'm a bit puzzled about the difference between the master mix buses "Stereo mix 1/4" versus the "Perspective 1/4" options. What is the relation between those 2 categories? See page 169 of the manual.

mdyde

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 9:19 am

Hello hanslatour,

With default audio settings/routing, *all* primary mixer buses (the equivalent of v4's primary audio outputs) are configured to send to all of 'Mstr mix bus 1-4: Stereo mix ...'. (The 'master buses' are the equivalent of aux outputs in v4.) However, only those primary buses that are named (and in groups for) the corresponding perspective will go to the 'Mst mix bus 5-8 Perpectv mix ...' buses.

For example, if you route a rank to the 'front 1/main' group (e.g. via the voicing/panning screen's perspective mix sliders, or directly, via the rank routing screen), then the rank will be heard through all of master mix buses 1-4, and it will also be heard through master mix bus 5 (not also buses 6,7,8). If you route a rank to the 'rear 1/main' group, then the rank will be heard through all of master mix buses 1-4, and it will also be heard through master mix bus 7 (not also buses 5,6,8).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Technical support