It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:32 pm

Not Responding

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

jrball

Not Responding

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 8:22 am

Yesterday:
HW5 installed and transfered its license.
St Anne loaded and plays.
Today:
"Not responding"
Can't kill with task manager, must reboot to remove.
Using 109MB, available 26GB.

mdyde

Re: Not Responding

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 8:34 am

Hello jrball,

Does Task Manager show any process using ~100% of the CPU time?

To confirm, do you mean that the problem occurred when St. Anne's was left loaded with audio/MIDI active overnight, and that it was working when you left it yesterday, but wasn't responding today, without you having touched anything at all in Hauptwerk today? Had the computer gone to sleep during that period? (Computers going to sleep sometimes cause audio, MIDI or USB device connections to be lost, and thus indirectly freeze applications that were using them.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

micdev

Site Admin

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 9:43 am

If you leave your computer always on (like I do...) your computer must never go to sleep/hibernate. Also, USB devices (used probably by your audio interface, midi keyboards etc) should also never go to power saving mode.

In Windows power setting, make sure to select "High Performance" , then modify the High performance settings and make sure that USB setting - Usb selective suspend setting is set to disabled.

Regards
François
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

jrball

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 9:54 am

2% CPU.
PC turned off, cannot sleep due to M-Audio Firewire interface.
Other large memory apps, such as video processing, working correctly.

After reboot second try: This time HW asked to start without audio interface.
I clicked to run temporarily without audio and then HW is not responding as before.
M-Audio is a pain but maybe HW gets stuck in trying to ignore it.

Now this is really interesting. While the first instance of HW is stuck I clicked on Alt Config 1.
It worked, asked to start without audio, went through the initialization dialogue and then ran.
Two instances of HW, one stuck, the other running.
However, same as yesterday I got this funny message when loading St Anne:
"Your computers drive may be too full ... You have only 46.1 GB of free space.."
My PC has 32GB total and about 26GB free.

Francois: I hadn't noticed that USB setting before, thank you for pointing it out.

micdev

Site Admin

PostFri Dec 20, 2019 10:38 am

Hello Jrball,

You're welcome. About the warning it is not related to computer memory (ram) but about the disk space who is at 46.1Gb. When a sample set cache HW checks to see the available space and give a warning below a threshold. So no worry unless you try to load additional organs and eventually run out of disk space.

When Hw complains about a missing device, this means that it can't "see it"... often a connection problem. With some audio interfaces, when you move the usb connection from 1 usb port to another one you can get that message since the "name" changed a bit (depends on the drivers, brand etc.)

The freeze may indicate a corruption of some config files used by Hauptwerk. You may want to try to reinstall hauptwerk.

*EDIT* . Also check your usb connections. While Alt1 worked, the problem may be intermittent. Also you may want to check (if you're confortable with that) Windows Events viewer and see if there are errors and warning who could indicate the source of your problems.

Regards
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Return to Technical support