It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

tremblor 10 vs 8 inch

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Ellsworth

tremblor 10 vs 8 inch

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 6:26 pm

Has anyone experience or knowledge comparing the temblor 10 inch subwoofer with the 8 inch for a 15 foot square room (living room). One report on a mail order site said the 10 inch rattled the foundations and was too intense and he wished for the 8 inch. I understand the 10 inch goes to 20 hz and the 8 inch goes to 30 hz.
Thanks.
Ells.

ppytprs

Re: tremblor 10 vs 8 inch

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 6:17 am

I wouldn't buy an 8" sub for organ use. I wouldn't buy another Temblor for that matter. I've come to the conclusion that you get what you pay for with subs. I've tried most of the cheap ones, and not been impressed with any of them.

As for the review you've read. Sounds like the fellow needed to find the volume control, not buy a smaller unit!

scottherbert

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 10:08 am

Parts Express has a 15 inch subwoofer driver, and in the reviews someone posted that they built a simple box, 48 inches tall, and 24 inches on each side. This would make a simple build, and they included dimensions for a slot port. Claims to reach down to something like 15 Hz.

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

dw154515

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 3:01 pm

If you have room for it, either the 15” or 18” UltiMax flat packs from Parts Express are AWESOME and require nothing more than some glue and some screws to build.

I have the 18” and it’s awesome. Super simple and easy with better results than you’re likely to find anywhere else at that price.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7099
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music & Website Admin - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumc.org
Design Engineer - American Sound and Electronics - Indy
https://americansound.cc/

Dnsmo

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 7:16 pm

Could someone please explain how trying to achieve any kind of accurate reproduction of the lowest notes of a 32-foot stop is a sensible goal for the original poster's small room?

I have a practice space with similar dimensions and my research has led me to the SVS SB-2000 with a 12" driver. I think a sub designed for a smaller room is the way to go. How can one choose a sub without factoring in room size?

Dennis
Dennis

jkinkennon

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 9:34 pm

It is not necessary to have a large room to get a response down to 16Hz to handle 32' stops. With a large room you may be able to excite standing waves but that is not desirable as getting a smooth response means attenuating standing waves. A 16Hz tone can be produced in headphones for example so don't worry about a small room.

Various factors get traded off in a sub's design. An 18" driver will produce more output than a 12" driver so it will need turned down in a smaller room and turned up in a large room. That's not a problem unless the 18" sub is taking up too much space. The smaller drivers will tend to be less efficient and need both more output and more equalization to achieve a smooth output down to 16Hz. Most smaller subs just won't be adequate but a few, SVS and Rythmik Audio come to mind, will operate well in a smaller room.

So it's easy to get a sub that's too small. Larger subs may work better with less fiddling. Most PA subs aren't designed to go low enough so avoid them as a general rule. Subs with active feedback (servo designs) are among the best available in my opinion.

Dnsmo

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 10:56 am

Thanks for your guidance, John.

In a small room (smaller than that of the OP), I'm primarily interested in the enhancement a subwoofer can bring to the 32 to 65 Hz range. While I agree it is possible to achieve some authority for notes in the lowest octave in even a tiny space, I don't consider that to be the main benefit of a subwoofer. My goal is smoother overall sound with no distortion. That's what led me to choose the SB-2000.

Based on what the OP asked, it would be great to hear from sub users in small spaces and find out the solutions they arrived at.

Dennis
Dennis

dhm

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 1:35 pm

I’m still very happily using my 14-year-old Tannoy TS12 in my 18 x 12ft studio.
I also have a Presonus Temblor 10, and have used many M-Audio SBX-10s for customers in the past (both for home and church installations).
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

Ellsworth

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 1:37 pm

Thank you for the very helpful information. I haven't responded earlier as broke my right arm five minutes into an introductory skating lesson. Nevertheless I purchased a 12 inch powered Polk subwoofer that was on sale for about 50% off and am very happy with it as long as I keep the power down or it rattles the furniture. It is rated to 25 Hz which will be enough for a while.

Dnsmo

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 12:44 pm

Ellsworth wrote:Thank you for the very helpful information. I haven't responded earlier as broke my right arm five minutes into an introductory skating lesson. Nevertheless I purchased a 12 inch powered Polk subwoofer that was on sale for about 50% off and am very happy with it as long as I keep the power down or it rattles the furniture. It is rated to 25 Hz which will be enough for a while.

I'm glad you found something that works for you, and at a sale price.

Reading of your rattling furniture I'm wondering if you have properly adjusted the level of your sub. Also, do you have your sub on the floor, or is elevated using something that can achieve acoustic decoupling? Getting it off the floor should help. I'm assuming you know that you should never hear the subwoofer, only its results, giving your main loudspeakers more of a full-range product.

Finally, the low extension rating of any sub (your Polk @ 25 Hz) is only a partial indicator of its performance in the lowest octave, down into the sub-audible range of the 32-foot stop. Some subs roll off more gradually than others. Are you at least aware that the lowest notes of a 32-foot stop are sounding when the sub is on? Have you A/B-ed with and without the sub to find out?

Most importantly (in my opinion), how has your new sub improved the lowest octave of your 16-foot stops? I think that's the number one reason for having a sub with a VPO. Extension to 16 Hz is, decidedly, number two in my book.

Dennis
Dennis

Return to Amplification