It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:16 am

I bought HW-5 but didn' receive a new dongle

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Chrisvdk415

I bought HW-5 but didn' receive a new dongle

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 3:11 am

Hi,

On december 10 2019 I bought HW-5 in order to upgrade my V4. Shouldn't I have recevied a new dongle yet as specified in the manual:

Step 7. If you have purchased a license for Hauptwerk and wish to use it via an iLok3/iLok2 dongle, then make sure that the dongle is
attached to a spare USB port on your computer.

Sincerely,

Chris.

IainStinson

Re: I bought HW-5 but didn' receive a new dongle

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 4:49 am

You need to buy the ilok 3 dongle yourself. It is not provided as a part of the upgrade/new licence for Hauptwerk 5.
Iain

mdyde

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 4:56 am

Hello Chris,

Thanks very much for the upgrade purchase.

Milan Digital Audio doesn't provide iLok dongles for free with Hauptwerk, or sell them, but if you want to use one you can buy them relatively inexpensively from most musical equipment shops. You also have the option of using iLok Cloud (which requires a reliable, permanently-on Internet connection) instead of a dongle. The 'Licensing, editions, and technical support' covers those things in more depth (page 11 in the main Hauptwerk v5.0.0 user guide). Also the section on licensing changes in the v5.0.0 release notice.

My v5 licensing FAQ thread here also has various information, as well as steps for migrating licences, etc.: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833

[Edit: P.S. I see Iain and I replied at the same time -- thanks, Iain.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Chrisvdk415

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:18 pm

Thanks for your answer.

So I have to cough up an unexpected extra 45 € to keep your software running. Nice: it's an excellent scheme to get "Vendor Lock-in".

IainStinson

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:59 pm

You can use HW 5 with iLOK cloud (via an internet connection) and don't need to purchase a dongle provided your computer is always connected to the Internet.

I guess MDA could have increased the cost of the update/product (to cover the cost of an iLok dongle, packing and shipping) and included the dongle. Leaving the customer to purchase the dongle locally or not use the dongle (and use the iLOK cloud) provides some choice. I few customers may have already had an iLOK 3 dongle for other software that they use and could add Hauptwerk licences to that dongle.

Iain

Chrisvdk415

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 2:19 pm

Hello Iain,

Thanks for your feedback. Apart from a dedicated HW computer, I have several other computers running for all kind of purposes. The software installed needs of course to be upgraded from time to time but these companies give me plenty of time (e.g.: quasi eternally) to buy the upgrade at reduced price. They value my customership.
HW just said: buy the upgrade now are you'll have to pay the full price very quickly.

That's quite an agressive way of treating your customers. As the dongle was not included in the price,it came as an extra bad surprise. Already the upgrade doesn't help you in any way: you have to do all the work to reinstall the samples and make them compatible with HW 5. There is a leason to be learnt in treating your customers in a user-friendly way...

All the best,

Chris.

Return to Technical support