It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

Headsets... Again

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

B777Captain

Headsets... Again

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 10:18 pm

Gang...

When I wanted to buy headphones for my HW system, I noticed a lot of AKG-71 (?) so I bought one. I don't often use it because I live alone in a larger house than necessary for being a single guy but needed the space for the organ.

When I do use the headphones.... I just can't really honestly say that I find the sound very good at all coming from the headphones. It sounds rather tinny and not realistic at all to my ears. Yes I realize it will sound different, but .... it's not really worth the money I spent on it.. thinking it would sound quite good and what I believed would be a close proximity to the real sound.

Any thoughts... on this???

Thanks for any input

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

Grant_Youngman

Re: Headsets... Again

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 10:30 pm

What are driving your headphones with? E.g. — computer audio port?; line level from your audio device through a preamp? Do you have a mix down of all speaker audio channels going to the headphone output?
Grant

B777Captain

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 11:04 pm

Honestly, I have no idea! Francois Ratte, my consultant, put a switcher under the keyboards to switch from speaker output to headphone output that i can switch back and forth.

I believe its run by amps because when I change the sound input to the headphones, the amps "click" in order (4 of them) to make them run the headphones. When I want to switch back, same routine....

Thanks

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

Grant_Youngman

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 11:48 pm

Hmmmm .. :-)

Not sure what that all means in terms of how things are configured. Maybe Francois can provide some enlightenment on that.

I use headphones all the time. Yes — you lose some low end, especially at the bottom of a 32' rank, and perhaps the feel of a 16' bottom octave, too. But I don't find the sound thin at all. It's generally quite good. I think I may be using similar headphones — AKG-701s. I've used both line-level outputs to a good preamp, or an integrated headphone output in my current audio device. Both sound pretty good. Some people actually leave their sub(s) active when using headphones to increase the sense of 16/32' ranks. I don't do that because if I'm using headphones, I need the room to be quiet for others .. and leaving the sub channels on would defeat the whole purpose …

So not really knowing how your audio system is configured I don't have a particularly bright idea I'm afraid … except to verify that your headphone outputs are fed by.a full mix-down of all of the individually routed channels in your configuration.
Grant

mdyde

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 5:00 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ppytprs

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 6:19 am

The problem with headphones is that there are so many that are terrible. And from manufacturers that also make good ones.
I've found that the AKG K550 does well with organ. I would expect good results from something like Sennheiser HD650 too. But lesser models are very hit and miss. And difficult to try without buying some.

mnailor

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 10:48 am

If you follow the cable from your headphones to the other end, is it plugged into, for example, your audio interface, a headphone amplifier, a headphone port on an amplifier, or your computer?

It might be plugged into a port that doesn't have enough gain for good headphones, or there might be a setting for the headphone gain.

If it's on the audio interface, what make and model and specific port?

I would guess the clicking could be turning your main amps on and off to cut out sound from your speakers.

murph

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 11:28 am

It sounds like a fault with the connections, in that the ground connection on the headphones is not making proper contact with the amp. Try un-plugging the headphones and cleaning the connections. Also, try plugging them into something else and have a listen. If there is a screw-type adaptor to convert from 3.5mm to 1/4", make sure it is screwed tight.

There could be a break in the cable, but it would have to be within the connector to give this effect.

magnaton

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 4:02 pm

I too prefer amps and speakers over headphones but have to use them from time to time for late night practicing. Headphones are great for a quick debug of an unknown sound artifact, maybe a rattle of sorts. Using headphones you can determine if the unusual sound is a speaker issue or happens to be in the pipe sample.

I use the headphone jack on my audio interface. It sounds really good as you'd expect and many times better than the computer's built in headphone jack. To achieve an even higher sound quality using headphones, there was a discussion awhile back on this subject:
http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=17326&p=129832

Danny B.

B777Captain

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:12 pm

Guys....

Thanks for all the great suggestions and I will look at the other end of the headphone cable to see where it's going.

The sound is not scratchy per se, but just a little hollow and nothing like I expected from reading previous reviews/reports on the headphones (AKG-701's for example).

I will also make a call to Francois for this and a few other things.... like why in order to make a recording to upload onto Contrebombarde, do I have to use the "subwoofer" channel to make this?? Perplexing to me....

I'll report back when I get some information later in the week.

Thanks again!

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

micdev

Site Admin

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 9:49 am

Hello Pat,

For the headphones, ideally go to your audio shop and ask them if you can borrow a few models to try at home to test. Try to get 2 types... close and open ears. Make sure that you are comfortable, try them for a long period.

Also, if you find that your headphones "lack power", check on your focurite that the volume knob is adjusted correctly.

About the "subwoofer channel" for recording... simple. When recording we need "all the channels", so the sub channels is a "Mix" of all the channels.

Regards
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

B777Captain

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 1:55 pm

Thanks Francois...

I'll do that!

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to Amplification