It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:24 am

Speaker amp recommendations

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

johnstump_organist

Speaker amp recommendations

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 7:30 pm

Collective knowledge requested.
For a small church setting with a limited budget, what would anyone recommend for Passive speakers and a matching amp. I would love to use Active Monitors but I'm afraid getting power to where the speakers need to be, is more of a project than anyone is willing to do. I've been looking at DefTech D9's and D11's. The D9 spec sheet says it can be driven by up to 150 watts and the D11 by up to 200. The D7's can be driven 125 which probably would be enough.
Any recommendations for speakers and an appropriate amp would be appreciated. We will use a Rhytmik sub, but other than that I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks in advance
John

1961TC4ME

Re: Speaker amp recommendations

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 8:42 pm

I would check out Emotiva. I get their newsletters and I do know they have a few closeouts going right now that would make it even more budget friendly.

Marc

engrssc

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 9:26 pm

How many speakers are you considering?

Rgds,
Ed

johnstump_organist

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 9:37 pm

The current organ in the church is a Rodgers C445, fully MIDI capable.
It currently is feeding a Yamaha Amp with two full-range, three-way speakers in a very bad location (on the floor behind the choir pews)
For starters, just to see if they want to go this route we'll start with just a single stereo pair of some speakers we can mount up high in the front of the church and either feed with the yamaha amp or a new one.
Eventually the aim would be to use the two three-way speakers as rear speakers (cabling already exists to old Rodgers speakers that are dead due to decayed foam surrounds) and add a few speakers for the front sound.
That's why I was looking at the DefTech's . They are compact enough to mounted someplace without being too obtrusive and yet let the sound get into the church in a decent fashion.
John

engrssc

PostMon Jan 27, 2020 9:59 pm

Sort of amazing that the Rodgers C445 still plays. That's a 1990's vintage, some 30 years ago. But it does back up my previously many times said comments that a good (old) Rodgers is better than many of the newer ones. :o

Rodgers many times used in their high end installations one of the Crown CT series amps such as a CT8150 (8 channels in a single rack space unit) or the little brother CT 4150 (4 channels in a single rack space unit).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 0&_sacat=0

Have had great sounding, reliable service from (now) 3 - CT 8150's. And no fans on these guys, altho I separated them by 1 - RU vented blank panels. They have a neat feature called Deep Sleep which is a terminal link on the back panel which "silences" the amp's output without powering it off. In our case the organists can practice via a headset with no sound from the speaker. This "klunk proofs" the setup. There is also a few second turn on delay built-in.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Amplification