It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:53 pm

Microlite seen by Windows 10 but not HW 5

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

mnailor

Microlite seen by Windows 10 but not HW 5

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 6:12 pm

I have a MOTU Microlite MIDI to USB interface from my console to the computer, with Windows 10 Pro version 1909 and Hauptwerk 5.0.1.24 (an interim build), but the same problem happens on HW 5.0.0.33.

Up until today, after exiting HW or rebooting, HW failed to see the 5 ports on the Microlite. Unplugging the USB cable always fixed it temporarily so HW would restart on the next attempt.

Now I can't get HW to see the Microlite MIDI ports at all. I've reinstalled the MOTU drivers, changed USB cables and ports, rebooted Windows repeatedly, and HW just says the ports aren't there.

Windows, on the other hand, says the Microlite is enabled and behaving normally, and it shows up on the eject hardware menu.

Does this sound like the Microlite has a fault? I've ordered a replacement/spare, but I don't know how to get Windows to tell me (outside of HW) whether it sees the MIDI ports through the Microlite, so it's not clear to me whether a replacement makes sense.

Edit: I canceled that Microlite order and ordered a MIDI Express XT in hopes that the ClockWorks app will give me some independent status of the MIDI devices if HW says it's not there. All I have with the Microlite are lights that blink when keys/pistons are pressed. Who knows what the computer sees?

It could also be that the Windows updates applied today (without my consent, of course) broke the MOTU MIDI driver.

Thank you.

IainStinson

Re: Microlite seen by Windows 10 but not HW 5

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 7:37 pm

but I don't know how to get Windows to tell me (outside of HW) whether it sees the MIDI ports through the Microlite

You could use Midi Medic https://www.midiworks.ca/index.php/37-downloads/downloads/11-midi-medic-139 to see if Windows is really getting data from your devices.

Iain

mnailor

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 8:25 pm

Thanks, Iain. I'll give that a try.

mdyde

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 5:27 am

Hello mnailor,

When it launches, Hauptwerk just queries the list of MIDI ports from Windows, so if Hauptwerk isn't seeing the Microlite's ports then presumably Windows must not be either, for some reason.

MIDI-OX (for Windows) is another application you could try, just to verify whether other applications can see the ports: http://www.midiox.com/

If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend unplugging the Microlite, completely un-installing its driver, rebooting, installing the latest driver, rebooting, then plugging it in. Its green 'Computer I/O' light should light up if it's working (but if all of its orange port activity LEDs also light then, at least with mine, I need to unplug it, then plug it in again to 'reboot' it).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mnailor

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 9:26 am

The green light is on, but the others stay off unless I hit a note or piston.

MIDI Medic shows there are no MIDI devices visible. Will try the exact recovery sequence from Martin before giving up.

Thank you!

mnailor

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 9:45 am

Okay, I went through Martin's steps, which added a reboot after uninstalling the driver and app. Same result. Microlite shows up in device manager when plugged in, but no MIDI ports.

I guess the hardware failed.

mdyde

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 am

Quick thought: before discarding it, it might also be worth trying it in a different computer, for good measure, and if possible.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 11:31 am

It's not impossible that you have a defective unit. Does it have the latest firmware update? I had 2 of them, one worked, one didn't. Same computer, same everything else also. Have you called MOTU Tech Support 617-576-2760 or 617-576-3066. Try to talk to Matt Balson. He has become quite informed about HW as a result of our many tech conversations.

Rgds,
Ed

mnailor

PostWed Feb 12, 2020 11:49 am

This is definitely turning out to be a Windows problem. At Martin's suggestion, I hooked up my backup/previous computer, restored Hauptwerk settings from the new computer, and the Microlite works in HW on that machine. It doesn't have the capacity I need today, but it plays for now.

Both machines are at Windows 10 Pro version 1909, but the one that works is build 18363.476 while the one that can't see the MIDI ports is build 18363.535.

Not sure how to prevent Microsoft breaking stuff since Windows 10 only lets you pause updates for 30 or so days before it does them without asking. Keeping the machine off the internet makes it nag me to sign into Microsoft, and I'd rather keep audio drivers up to date, but if I can get it back to a working build again, maybe isolated is the best thing.

[The last set of Windows updates broke the Microlite and also reverted my power settings, enabled sysmain, and undid several other tuning settings so my DPC latency went up. Even a small organ couldn't play full with 8 cores without the sound breaking up... I fixed all that again before the Microlite went away on a reboot, but I'm surprised how little respect Microsoft shows for settings when they push an update.]

micdev

Site Admin

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 5:08 pm

Have you try to connect your Microlite into another USB port (maybe a USB 2...). Try various USB ports?
Does Windows see the device in "Device manager"?
In "Device manager" do you have any devices with with an explanation point or mark as Unknown? If so, delete it and let Windows re-install it on its next boot.

To protect against drivers update whehn WIn10 updates you need to disable "Drivers update".

In Windows search box, type "Control" and select "Control Panel"

Once in the Control Panel (that' the old one from Windows 7), if you see "small icons"' click in the menu bar "Control Panel", you will now see various categories.

Click "System and Security | System". In the left-pane, click "Advanced settings"

In the "System properties" windows, click the "Hardware" tab, then click "Device Installation Settings" button. In "Device installation settings" tick NO . Windows will stop updating your drivers (it still can change other parameters, but at least your drivers will remain as is.

Of course you can disable Windows Update if you want to "freeze" your config, but Microsoft makes it hard to do.

Regards
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

mnailor

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 5:18 pm

Thank you for the ideas. Answers embedded below. I'm trying to get back to working via system restore at this point. The new MIDI Express XT is also not working with this Windows build.

micdev wrote:Have you try to connect your Microlite into another USB port (maybe a USB 2...). Try various USB ports?
> Yes. No change.

Does Windows see the device in "Device manager"?
> Yes.

In "Device manager" do you have any devices with with an explanation point or mark as Unknown? If so, delete it and let Windows re-install it on its next boot.
> No.

To protect against drivers update whehn WIn10 updates you need to disable "Drivers update".

In Windows search box, type "Control" and select "Control Panel"

Once in the Control Panel (that' the old one from Windows 7), if you see "small icons"' click in the menu bar "Control Panel", you will now see various categories.

Click "System and Security | System". In the left-pane, click "Advanced settings"

In the "System properties" windows, click the "Hardware" tab, then click "Device Installation Settings" button. In "Device installation settings" tick NO . Windows will stop updating your drivers (it still can change other parameters, but at least your drivers will remain as is.
> The MOTU driver is from 2013, the latest, and was not updated. Windows broke it in some other way. Same driver works on my other Windows 10 box.

Of course you can disable Windows Update if you want to "freeze" your config, but Microsoft makes it hard to do.
> Yes, they do.

Regards

mnailor

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 5:43 pm

This was resolved for now by reinstalling the Dell T3431 to its factory Windows 10 version 1809, applying only critical updates, and installing everything else on this older Windows version. Eventually I'll be forced to update, but not until May when 1809 is desupported.

The only gotcha is that the OS renamed the Microlite to "2 Microlite" after had I tested the new MIDI Express XT, and the newly installed Hauptwerk (with user settings restored from backup) unconfigured all my MIDI mappings before I could start changing them to <any enabled port>.

So I now have 50 organs times 60 to 100 MIDI autolearns to go. Gah.

mnailor

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 7:23 pm

Better method: On my backup computer where the Microlite's name didn't change, I'm loading each organ and changing each MIDI input to <Any enabled port>. Multiselect helps a little. One day of work instead of a week, probably.

micdev

Site Admin

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 10:18 pm

Glad to hear that it is working.

Martin, as a future enhancement, would it be possible to have an option (maybe in general settings) where we could select if we want the "real audio interface" or "Any enabled port". It would be pretty useful, especially for Windows users, where the name of the midi interface sometimes change such my moving the interface from one usb port to the other.

Regards
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

mnailor

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 10:25 pm

In addition, being able to ask HW to convert all our previously configured organs' MIDI mappings to <Any enabled port> in one sweep would be nice. Thanks!

I'm up to the organs starting with the letter B now...
Next

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing