It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:54 am

Lighted thumb pistons

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

MikeDC

Lighted thumb pistons

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 6:11 pm

I had this working under HW 4.2, but lost all my settings in the upgrade and can't remember how I got this to work.

I have thumb pistons with associated LEDS. The LEDs and thumb pistons use distinct programmable decoders and encoders but I have them programed for the same channel and note. I am using the HW capture system--not the system native to the sample set.

The problem I'm having is keeping the LED light when the system (or its registration) is engaged. I will light upon first press, but if you accidentally press the piston again, the light will go off. I've tried different combinations of note on/off for piston and light, but haven't hit upon it yet.

Thoughts?

THANK YOU!
Last edited by MikeDC on Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhm

Re: Lighted thumb pistons

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 6:15 pm

Have you tried restoring your settings from your most recent HW4 backup?
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

engrssc

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 6:29 pm

There is a box marked alternating that must not be ticked.

Rgds,
Ed

MikeDC

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 6:33 pm

dhm wrote:Have you tried restoring your settings from your most recent HW4 backup?

In between tasks, I had a disk crash and could not locate a backup that restored my MIDI settings :(

dhm

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 7:10 pm

Unless you have told it not to, HW will make automatic weekly backups of all your settings.
(These are in addition to any you make manually, and which are normally saved to the desktop.)
These automatic backups are usually saved in (C:) / Users / [Primary user name] / Hauptwerk / AutomaticBackups.
Hope this helps.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

MikeDC

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 7:28 pm

engrssc wrote:There is a box marked alternating that must not be ticked.

Rgds,
Ed

Not ticked, and also greyed out.

MikeDC

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 7:31 pm

dhm wrote:Unless you have told it not to, HW will make automatic weekly backups of all your settings.
(These are in addition to any you make manually, and which are normally saved to the desktop.)
These automatic backups are usually saved in (C:) / Users / [Primary user name] / Hauptwerk / AutomaticBackups.
Hope this helps.

I have a few of those backups from my Ver. 4 days, however, none of them were able to get my MIDI settings restored. When I asked about this, Martin said it could have to do with HW renaming MIDI devices. However, if those settings are magically in one of those files, it would be great to be able to read the file and see what it says. Do you know if there is?

Michael

jkinkennon

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 7:36 pm

I would expect that you need to ensure the pistons are being detected as:

Momentary Piston: Alternating MIDI Note-on/offs

The decoder side should simply obey the HW commands (it probably will).

mdyde

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 5:17 am

MikeDC wrote:I have a few of those backups from my Ver. 4 days, however, none of them were able to get my MIDI settings restored. When I asked about this, Martin said it could have to do with HW renaming MIDI devices. However, if those settings are magically in one of those files, it would be great to be able to read the file and see what it says. Do you know if there is?

Hello Michael,

There's no supported way of determining exactly what settings are set to within any given backup, apart from by restoring the backup to see, I'm afraid.

However, restoring a backup is quick and easy, and as long as you use 'File | Backup ...' to backup your current settings first (in case you decide you want to get back to your current state) then there's nothing really to lose by simply restoring any given candidate backup file(s) to try them. (Note also that organs will need to be re-cached when loading them after restoring a backup, which might be slow, etc.)

(If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend upgrading Hauptwerk to v5.0.1 first, since it tries to default the options in the General Configuration Wizard to make it as easy as possible for people who want to migrate/retain previous v4 settings.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

MikeDC

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 10:12 am

jkinkennon wrote:I would expect that you need to ensure the pistons are being detected as:

They are being detected as "stop tab or hold piston" which seems wrong to me. I would think they should act like momentary switches note on.

The other thing I notice from using midi-ox is that the midi-out is going across all ports. Not sure if that is unusual or not. Midi-in does not do that.

MikeDC

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 11:00 am

jkinkennon wrote:I would expect that you need to ensure the pistons are being detected as:

Thanks Martin! I'll give that a try. Nothing to lose as long as I can get my HW5 settings back (I'll do a couple of backups first).

MW

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI