It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:57 pm

Intel NUCs

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

norwich_hw

Intel NUCs

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 1:23 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking at computers for a Hauptwerk console project, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with Intel NUCs? I'll be running the Peterborough sample set at high resolution, so probably consuming at least 24gb RAM with either 32gb or 64gb installed. I have two main concerns;

- Firstly, whether the de-rated CPUs are capable of handling a high polyphony sample set. The base clock rate of the i7 is only 1.1GHz, although the 'turbo' is 4.7GHz.

- Secondly what the fan noise is like. Anecdotally, the fan noise from the NUCs is quite audible, particularly on the i7 models.

I'd be looking at the 10th gen i7 NUC.
https://simplynuc.co.uk/10i7fnh-shop/

Thanks for your help!

mdyde

Re: Intel NUCs

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 2:07 pm

Hello norwich_hw,

The CPU's base clock speed is what really matters for glitch-free real-time audio performance (polyphony, etc.): viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18044#p138434

I suspect you would find 1.1 GHz too limiting in terms of polyphony for a cathedral organ sample set.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

orcoaffamato

PostMon Mar 09, 2020 2:27 pm

Hi my Hauptwerk PC is a NUC8i7HNK

CPU is the i7-8705G @3.10 GHz with currently 32 Gb RAM (it can handle 64 Gb RAM).
I have no problems running Hauptwerk 4 Advanced Edition.
I disabled the Turbo Boost in the Bios so I don't hear anymore the fan.

norwich_hw

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 3:40 pm

Thanks both. The Hades Canyon NUCs are something to think about.

jkinkennon

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 10:22 am

I've looked at those high end NUCs before and would love to try one out for HW. Would a NUC do the job? Like so many questions the answer is probably "Which one?"

micdev

Site Admin

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 11:43 am

Nucs computers comes with all kind of processors. Also, depending on your Hauptwerk use, sample sets size, level of playing (beginner vs professional) the power (and memory required will vary.

The Nuc used by Orcoaffamato has a good processor with a CPU benchmark of 8700 (similar to a 2011 i7-2700k). Today' computers that I used for my Hauptwerk installations starts at 14000, but again, depends on your needs.

The one with the 1.1 processor, without knowing exactly which processor it is will probably be not powerful enough, depends on the processor. A Celeron @ 1.1 will rate between 650 - 2500 (forget it for Hauptwerk), but an i-5 @1.1 is rate @ 9200.... and an i7 @1.1 around 10700...so just the speed information is not enough, you need to know the exact processor.

Dell offers some of those computers (Optiplex micro)

Regards
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

organtechnology

PostThu Mar 12, 2020 9:28 pm

I have helped a few people with this problem by furnishing a Dell 9020 i7-4xxx with 32GB of ram. adding an SSD makes a fast, low cost starter computer that runs Hauptwerk and many sample sets. I think it might actually be less expensive than a new NUC.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

Return to Computer hardware / specs