It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:24 am

How to label blank thumb pistons?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

danwerning

How to label blank thumb pistons?

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 12:17 am

I have a new 4-manual console that has plenty of blank, white, round programmable thumb pistons. How can I label the pistons without simply writing on them with a black marking pen (looks sloppy...).

Or: Where can I order tiny little plaques that I can glue under or by the pistons?

adrianw

Re: How to label blank thumb pistons?

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 3:28 am

Nothing beats professional engaving, which can be affordable if you have a lot done in one go, but laser printing on transparent adhesive film can come quite close and you can keep changing your mind! The trick is to match any existing engraving font style and size carefully, and (since you are normally trying to stick to a convex or concave button surface) to cut the carrier film down as small as possible - ideally to just around the lettering. A second layer of film over the printed film protects it from smudging or wear.

Here is one of mine.

- Adrian.

engrssc

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 4:05 am

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17734&hilit=Drew&start=15#p136939

I've done the same using a Cricut machine, but don't have pictures yet. In addition to labeling the thumb pistons, I also made other (Cricut) rectangular labels for such things as divisions, expression pedals, etc. There are various sources for blank rectangular (plastic) label material.

Rgds,
Ed

damuehlbauer

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 6:44 pm

I use the Behringer Touchpad (similar to Novation Launchpad) and had great difficulty labeling the buttons. I owned a P-Touch labeling machine and found that their clear 'Strong Adhesive' labels stuck the best. They are still easy to remove accidentally, but I've had the units labeled for over a year with only a few falling off so far. I am still looking for a better solution, but this is working for now. Maybe someday I'll spring for real keyboards and pistons!

Since your buttons are a harder surface, I suspect these labels would stick quite well. The other advantage is that they are automatically laminated, with the image inside between two layers. You'd have to cut them with scissors and apply them. I find that attaching the label to the point of an Exacto-Knife is the easiest way to position them.

Obviously, engraving is the best option if you can do that.
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

johnstump_organist

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 10:35 pm

Onlinelabels.com has clear/transparent 1/2round labels for laserjet printers.
John

jrball

PostThu Apr 30, 2020 7:42 am

How about printing labels on a thin strip (3/16") of paper as wide as the keyboard.
Use rubber cement to attach it above the pistons.
If you have another favorite organs glue its strip below the pistons.
Easy to pull off for changes or refurbishing.

billmired

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 4:29 pm

You can use dry transfer decals which are lacquer based and work nicely. I "dusted" mine with clear lacquer to provide more protection.

engrssc

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 5:21 pm

jrball wrote:How about printing labels on a thin strip (3/16") of paper as wide as the keyboard.

Thumb pistons generally do not change labels with different organs as they can be reprogrammed and thus continue to change function. Basil "standards are generals and divisionals. Plus possible couplers and specials such as stepper controls. I've seen page turn pistons etc, but usually these can work for most organs. Now St Anne's has some other ones.

Rgds,
Ed

Organorak

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 3:05 pm

Laser printer onto A4 transparent labels, cut closely to edge of text then painted in clear nail varnish works wonders for white plastic pistons.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI