It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

Win 10 update 2004 released today (eom)

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Win 10 update 2004 released today (eom)

PostWed May 27, 2020 7:20 pm

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

Re: Win 10 update 2004 released today (eom)

PostFri May 29, 2020 3:04 am

A completely new build. Many add'l features. BTW, I was asked about the number - 2004. The first 2 digits refer to the year 2020.. The 04 represents the 4th month - April when this version was originally scheduled to be released, but was delayed because of covid-19. Microsoft elected not to changed the version number from 04 to 05 (which is May).. The update requires approx 4gb drive space total. During the process, the update checks many things including available memory space. Takes quite awhile to download and setup depending on the computer and the Internet speed. I downloaded the update for my online computers,(took 45 minutes) not the Hauptwerk organ 'puter.

The update wouldn't load on one of my computers and gave me an error code 0x4000D.(Failed 2nd boot Migrate data operation. Stop code - page fault in nonpaged area. aksfridge.sys)

I believe there is an incompatible app on that computer. so there are potential issues. Will have to check that out sometime. Without doing any specific investigation, it appears that load times for most apps, email, weather channel, etc even this Forum seems to be longer than was previously. Add'l security checks? Big M/S promo to keep "us" safe on the Internet.

Not sure how any of this will affect Hauptwerk. Altho on a Dell tablet that has the new update, an old Free Edition using HW V 4.2.1, all of the basic organ functions seem to work fine. This tablet only has 8gb of RAM, so can't do a lot. It does have a 500gb SSD so plenty of room there (at this trime).

On any Win 10 machine, you can search using winver to verify which version of Win 10 is running.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostFri May 29, 2020 9:21 am

Windows May 2020 Update Launches With DirectX 12 Ultimate

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/311054-microsoft-windows-may-2020-update-directx-12-ultimate-notepad?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=whatsnewnow&utm_medium=title

Wonder how many of these consumer based "user friendly" features will be a problem for Hauptwerk "users"?

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/05/27/whats-new-in-the-windows-10-may-2020-update/

And, yes many things look different. If you haven't yet received the invitation from M/S to update, the reason is M/S sends these invites out using some kind of algorithm so as not to overwhelm their servers. The update can be forced however.

I find it interesting to, with some additional hardware you are now able to sign on with your face, fingerprint or PIN. What I guess I'm thinking is that all these extra features remind me of overhead (bloatware) which we don't need for H/W.

BTW, with the warm weather, has anyone else found the face covering masks to be uncomfortable?

Rgds,
Ed

Silken Path

PostFri May 29, 2020 7:19 pm

Here near Atlanta, the masks are still tolerable.

I have 2004 installing on my HW ThinkPad right now. We shall see...

jerrynazard

PostSat May 30, 2020 5:19 pm

I am most interested to know how this update affects CPU spikes. The 1909 update was a freaking mess. Ed, many thanks to you for starting this thread!
-Jerry

Grant_Youngman

PostSat May 30, 2020 5:56 pm

I've been trying to get it to install over 1909, but it fails every time. it suffers from the nasty "stuck at 'Downloading -100%' " problem. May or may not have to do with the fact that I put it up under Parallels. In any case, I've tried all the usual solutions to no avail. I'm not going to worry about, since it really doesn't matter … and I don't run HW with Windows, anyway.
Grant

kwbmusic

PostSat May 30, 2020 8:59 pm

I also have had a problem installing 1909. It loads, installs and then reports that the installation was unsuccessful. Have had around nine attempts. Recent research indicates that this is a problem for some computers and Microsoft expect to have a solution around mid July.
Fortunately this is only on my dedicated Hauptwerk computer and that works OK.
Keith

engrssc

PostSat May 30, 2020 9:18 pm

I notice you don't accept PM's so I can't send any info.

Rgds,
Ed

kwbmusic

PostSat May 30, 2020 11:35 pm

Ed, if you are referring to me I have altered the private email setting. I wasn't aware that it had been set that way.
regards,
Keith

jerrynazard

PostSun May 31, 2020 12:51 am

I have had the 2004 update installed and running for a couple of hours on my Hauptwerk computer (i7-5820K, MSI X-99A motherboard, 128 Gb RAM). If you are currently running a 1903 or 1909 update, and (like I was) experiencing a continuous heavy stream of CPU spikes, you may find the 2004 update to be an improvement. Still lots of movement on the Hauptwerk CPU meter, but confined mostly to the green. Playing now on Hereford, Goerlitz, and the big Rotterdam set, the sound is clean and clear with no audible distortion, dropouts, or extraneous sounds, even with the meter occasionally in the red.

It is still far short from ideal.

In update1903 (not 1909) I had some limited success tamping down the CPU spikes by disabling CPU throttling, killing off part of Cortana and Bing, and disabling some other unwanted stuff. Please, please, please those of you that are able to fix these issues in 2004, share your success stories here on the forum. I don't know about others, but I need all the help I can get. My thanks to you in advance!

Stay safe!

And many thanks to Ed (engrssc) for sending me some helpful stuff.

engrssc

PostSun May 31, 2020 3:23 am

Do you have the latest bios for your MSI mo bo? You can use CPU-Z (mainboard) to verify which version (and the date) you have and check it against what MSI is showing.

CPU-Z is a free utility available here:

https://download.cnet.com/CPU-Z/3000-2086_4-10050423.html

This utility shows a lot of useful info about your computer.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostSun May 31, 2020 3:46 am

Hello Jerry,

To add to Ed's reply:

jerrynazard wrote:In update1903 (not 1909) I had some limited success tamping down the CPU spikes by disabling CPU throttling, killing off part of Cortana and Bing, and disabling some other unwanted stuff. Please, please, please those of you that are able to fix these issues in 2004, share your success stories here on the forum. I don't know about others, but I need all the help I can get. My thanks to you in advance!

(Unrelated to Windows 2004), in case anything there helps, the Performance tuning: Other operating system and computer optimizations and diagnostics' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 253-255 in the current v5.0.1 version) has lots of suggestions for troubleshooting PC audio glitches/spikes. E.g. make sure you have a good ASIO driver selected, and make sure that LatencyMon reports that the computer is performing well enough to handle real-time audio (leave LatencyMon running for a while whilst Hauptwerk is running with an organ loaded).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

jerrynazard

PostSun May 31, 2020 9:36 am

Thanks, Ed and Martin!

I do have the 1909 bios update from MSI. Did some tweaking very late last night and then left Latency Mon running with Hauptwerk up and the Rotterdam organ loaded. After six hours I'm still all in bright green (highest measured interrupt 317.0; highest reported DPL execution 493.0). Sound is clear with no distortion, extraneous noise, or drop-outs.

So, my experience with update 2004 at this point, with this machine, is good. There is a better than even chance that I will never connect it up to the internet again. The important thing is that today I can resume my normal practicing routine without worrying about that damn little CPU meter fluttering on the screen. Sometimes it's the little things that count!

Best to you both. Stay safe!

-Jerry

mdyde

PostSun May 31, 2020 9:40 am

Thanks, Jerry. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Grant_Youngman

PostSun May 31, 2020 9:46 am

Grant_Youngman wrote:I've been trying to get it to install over 1909, but it fails every time. it suffers from the nasty "stuck at 'Downloading -100%' " problem.

Thanks to a suggestion from Ed, 2004 is up and running. Install was glitch free …
Grant
Next

Return to Computer hardware / specs