It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:25 pm

Touch screen mountings

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

ajsphead

Touch screen mountings

PostSat Jun 20, 2020 3:54 am

Still sorting out options before buying Hauptwerk. Can anyone tell me if touch screens can be configured to run in portrait rather than landscape? I'm planning on using 21.5" screens or bigger so this will more accurately reflect the shape and size of many jambs and will also work better with my existing console.
Thanks
Anthony

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Touch screen mountings

PostSat Jun 20, 2020 6:38 am

Good morning,

Normally your video driver will allow you to change the screen orientation. You can even test it with your actual screen (even if not touch-enabled).

Note that even if your computer can be set to display in portrait mode, depending on the sample set used, the jamb may be displayed still in landscape mode (meaning you will have a lot of "black" over and under the image of the jamb). Because of that, unless you decide to embed the screen in your console (being fix, in portrait mode), you may want to mount your monitor on an articulating arm to easy switch from portrait to landscape when needed.

Hope this helps
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

ajsphead

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 3:45 am

Thank you. So if I understand correctly, there is no facility within Hauptwerk to alter the orientation of the visual layout. Some are landscape, some are portrait depending on the initial programming?

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 6:29 am

Good morning,

You're right. The sample set manufacturer will propose various layout, sometimes offering both orientations but most of the time you will find only landscape layout. You can visit the website of the various manufacturers and you will usually see the layouts proposed.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

IainStinson

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 6:32 am

I use two 24" Iiyama touch monitors on either side of the console in portrait orientation.(52cm tall and 29.5cms wide (20" x 11.5"). They are mounted with mounts from Ergomounts https://www.ergomounts.co.uk/ultraview-401-series-monitor-desk-mount. These "feel" like traditional stop jambs once you get used to not pulling out the stops.

Although these are mounted on robust arms which can allow them to rotate into landscape orientation - I have found they are them too wide to use and play comfortably when arranged thus.

I now try to buy only sample sets which do have portrait oriented stop jambs images. For some smaller organs, landscape jambs on the portrait screen are usable, but for large instruments they can be too small to use when playing. Whilst It is more work for sample set producers, I do hope that they really do try to provide portrait screen layouts (as well as landscape layouts) for their sample sets. I appreciate it is a non trivial amount of of work to provide both landscape and portrait layouts but usability is improved if both are available.

Many sample sets do have both layout formats but some otherwise fine sample sets don't. Thanks to all sample set producers who do provide both portrait and landscape layouts.

Iain

jcrowley

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 10:33 am

ajsphead wrote:Still sorting out options before buying Hauptwerk. Can anyone tell me if touch screens can be configured to run in portrait rather than landscape? I'm planning on using 21.5" screens or bigger so this will more accurately reflect the shape and size of many jambs and will also work better with my existing console.
Thanks
Anthony

Hi Anthony - unfortunately there is no easy solution to the screen orientation. I, myself can pivot my screens on articulating arms three ways... Portrait for "standard" stop jambs. Landscape for consoles mimicking terraced jambs and also pushed together to portray Stop Tab Jambs on the Name Board above the keyboards.

I wrote to the manufacturer regarding a quick way to change the orientation from portrait to landscape with maybe an on-screen icon that one could touch and Voilé! quick change.

Nope...first of all they asked "why" I would want to do that? Apparently the driving force for custom computers (gamers) and a full thirty years after touchscreens hit the market. I worked putting together a support division with hardware and software for a Point-of-Sale company using touchscreen monitors hardwired to a "network" before these were common terms utilizing Double-DOS!

Anyhoo...when I explained what I would like to do he said "you cannot create a shortcut for the screens use the graphic interface"

So back at square one - I think that a shortcut on the desktop is doable but I do not have the modern tech ability to write an application to do that.

It sure would be nice because my graphics interface (gforce from MSI) has four tabs to navigate and then you must configure both screens separately AND have to have Windows recognize the screens.

Someone should have had this problem solved two decades ago - they were counting on the trend toward "smart-phones and tablets", never giving second thought to simultaneously using more than one touchscreen on *gasp* a DESKTOP Computer. Windows 10 pro has to be configured as a "tablet" to make it work correctly. There is no other way to use more than one touchscreen as a Desktop computer.

If you have found another way please spill the beans! I will continue to try and make shortcuts somehow. I think that it is possible but no one has any interest in doing it.

jcrowley

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 10:39 am

Now that I think about this - maybe it is possible to make a Windows shortcut key Marco utilizing the always "hot" windows and CTRL keys? I do have a mini keyboard of 8 keys that I use for my Music PDF touchscreen.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI