It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:51 am

Legal, legitimate Win 10 Pro license - $39.99

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Legal, legitimate Win 10 Pro license - $39.99

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 9:46 pm

https://software.pcworld.com/p36877-windows_10_professional

until the end of June 2020. normal retail - $199.99

Rgds,
Ed

RaymondList

Re: Legal, legitimate Win 10 Pro license - $39.99

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 7:36 pm

Certainly is a good deal. It was such a good deal I bought it, even though I only run Macs! I did have a copy of Windows 7 on my Mac which I run under Parallels, so I upgraded that copy of 7 to 10. The last time I needed Windows was to set up my Midi hardware about 2 years ago. So I guess I wasted the $39.99, but it was such a good deal.... :lol:

Regards,
Ray
Ray

engrssc

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 9:06 pm

At least you won't be bashing yourself some day with the "wish I would have" syndrome. :wink:

When you connect with M/S for activation, they basically associate your license with your computer, specifically the main/mother board. If in the future, for some reason you would need to change your mo bo, you would need to call M/S support and explain the situation. (happened to me recently). Very seldom do mo bo's go bad and fortunately this one was still under warranty. So I called M/S, the support person was very cordial, no hassle. Took just about one minute. Computer again shows that it is activated and she gave me a new license s/n. Sweet. :)

Rgds,
Ed

dhm

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 11:55 pm

Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

engrssc

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 9:50 am

Interesting side note as MS plans to close retail, physical locations.

https://news.microsoft.com/2020/06/26/microsoft-store-announces-new-approach-to-retail/

Rgds,
Ed

RaymondList

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 1:09 pm

engrssc wrote:When you connect with M/S for activation, they basically associate your license with your computer, specifically the main/mother board.

I don't have that problem. They can only see a 'virtual' mother board as presented by Parallels - they really see nothing beyond that. And it stays the same as I have moved to a new computer, since my license for Parallels moves too! When booting Windows, although I rarely do since I usually just 'suspend' Windows and close the Parallels app, it even sees a BIOS, and that does not even exist on a Mac! :lol:

Regards,
Ray
Ray

organtechnology

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 7:36 am

engrssc wrote:https://software.pcworld.com/p36877-windows_10_professional

until the end of June 2020. normal retail - $199.99

Rgds,
Ed

Hi Ed,

As I work with Microsoft on my project I am learning a lot about activation processes, COA* stickers, activation codes and sales channels. The way the sales channels work is Microsoft has defined the sales channels by the types of customers that are addressed and the rate at which feature updates are provided. Microsoft has Partners that distribute the software and these distributors are different for each channel.

The consumer/pro channel sells software in a retail package with some form of media containing the ISO image and the loader software. The retail package will also contain a COA* sticker with the activation code on it. Each item sold has a unique sticker. When you try to use the software on multiple machines it does not activate on any after the first one. (I think I am remembering this correctly) This may show up as a message "This is not a genuine MS product" or just not activate. The Pro software is sold in the same manner thru the retail channel. This is a weekly or monthly feature update channel as well as very frequent security updates.

The second channel is the Enterprise channel. In this channel large numbers of copies are sold to the companies with IT departments that install and activate the OS. The IT department gets a large number activation codes and applies them to the computers as they are installed but I was told there will not be an activation code visible. In some cases there are hundreds of activation codes left over after all the Enterprises computers are loaded with the OS. This is where things get a bit murky. The copy of the software (the ISO file) is a genuine copy of the OS purchased by the enterprise. The activation codes that are sold outside of the company are legitimate activation codes, when used by the company but these codes are not for sale. In fact they are not supposed to use them outside the corporate environment because the activation server is at the enterprise company's IT department and every so often all the computers go 'reactivate' using this server and software. I am not even certain that the original activation was not done that way. So yes you can get a Genuine copy of the Microsoft ISO file for your OS. Yes, you can get an activation number that works (for now) but you won't get a COA* sticker, with or without an activation code on it. So you do not have a license as the sticker is the license. The updates, both security and features occur something like monthly but the IT department can hold the updates for a longer period to validate them (updates must be run every six months at least.)

The IoT activations follow along with this process but the details are different. Very different. Since many IoT devices are not connected to the internet, Microsoft has a longer time between updates available for the IoT devices. The OS with LTSB at the end has a maximum feature update interval of 10 years! In fact Microsoft says that NO feature updates will occur for the life of the build. So if you buy the LTSB 1809 (September 2018) there will be no required feature updates and the OS will be supported until 2029. If you get the 2004 (April 2020) The feature OS will be feature stable until 2030. There will be frequent security updates but these are only loaded if the LTSC OS gets on the internet. Even then the update period can be set to an time when no one is playing. The authenticity of any system containing this software is indicated by a COA*, with no activation code on it, displayed prominently on it.

So the el cheapo copies of Windows 10 Pro are genuine and will activate but they are not legal because the COA* sticker will be missing or they will be counterfit.

Caveat Emptor,

Thomas

COA = Certificate of Authenticity. The ones without numbers are call 'license' stickers.
IoT = Internet of Things
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 7:56 am

Interesting but a lot of this structure depends on if the said computer is connected to the Internet. I haven't heard that M/S is creating a "time bomb" situation. Then, too, if the computer's built in time clock is not synced via the Internet, what is the real so called expiration date?

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 8:06 am

engrssc wrote:Interesting but a lot of this structure depends on if the said computer is connected to the Internet. I haven't heard that M/S is creating a "time bomb" situation. Then, too, if the computer's built in time clock is not synced via the Internet, what is the real so called expiration date?

Rgds,
Ed

It is just like the Win 7 EOL, it is whenever thay say it is.
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 8:34 am

And all of this is spelled out in the MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM. which is included within Windows 10 software. Windows Settings, About, bottom of the page last updated June 2018.

Would be curious to get an idea of just how many computer users worldwide are concerned enough to read any of this. OTOH, I've always heard that ignorance of the law is no excuse, right?

Since M/S is in the process of closing their retail outlets (an economy move maybe?) , I can't imagine them hiring a legal staff to go after each one using a not legit copy of their software. I'm not advocating this illiegalness for sure. M/S probably would go after the "big fish" however.

Similar to drivers who disregard speed limits. The fact that they haven'f gotten caught (yet) doesn't give them "license" to do so. Certainly are many concerns these days. :shock: Plus keeping up with Hauptwerk might be one of them. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

dhm

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 4:00 pm

The licences I’ve gotten from Softwaregeeks (aka The Unity Soft) are allegedly from decommissioned PCs.
I guess that, in theory, they ought to sell the decommissioned PC (or at least the motherboard) along with the licence, though I’m sure nobody actually wants that.
Certainly all the licenses I’ve gotten from them come with 25-digit activation code, which works.
After connecting the PC to the internet for first time, I always get the message “Windows is activated”.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

engrssc

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 4:30 pm

" Successful activation does not confirm that the software is genuine or properly licensed. You may not bypass or circumvent activation. To help determine if your software is genuine and whether you are properly licensed, see (aka.ms/genuine). Certain updates, support, and other services might only be offered to users of genuine Microsoft software."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/whattolookfor.aspx

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/software-packaged

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 8:03 am

Return to Computer hardware / specs