It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 am

Can't get Hauptwerk to play MIDI files correctly?

Please note: we can't provide official support for the Free Edition, but other users might be able to help you here.
  • Author

Laura Cecilia

Can't get Hauptwerk to play MIDI files correctly?

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 7:21 pm

I've been trying to load a MIDI file (generated from Sibelius) into Hauptwerk (the St. Anne's organ) to get a better-quality audio file, but it played the pedal notes on the Great and the Great notes on the pedal. I thought I'd fixed the problem by changing the pedal to MIDI channel 1 and the Great to channel 2, but when I tried loading it again, the same thing happened. Can anyone help me out here? I've been stuck on this for days and am practically tearing my hair out now.

larason2

Re: Can't get Hauptwerk to play MIDI files correctly?

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 8:51 pm

In Hauptwerk, in the Organ settings menu, under Keyboards, you can select each division, then assign the channel driving each division to whichever channel you choose.

Laura Cecilia

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 9:40 pm

That menu looks like it's for direct keyboard input, and I'm just loading a file. I tried switching the channels anyway, then I reloaded the file and the same problem happened.

larason2

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 pm

Even though the keyboards menu looks like it is for direct keyboard input, it actually controls all input into the virtual divisions. If you have tried both configurations (pedal/great both channel 1 and channel 2) in this menu, I think that’s odd that one of them didn’t work correctly. Perhaps you can assign them to different channels in Sibelius? Another option would be to use Hauptwerk as a VST host for Sibelius. I used to do this with Sibelius 6.2 and Hauptwerk 4 Free and Basic edition on Mac OSX. I do recall it was tricky to get it to work, however. Yet another option is to open the midi file using a third party editor and reassign the channels that way.

mdyde

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 4:01 am

Hello Laura/larason2,

Very briefly (since we don't officially support the Hauptwerk v4 Free Edition):

larason2 wrote:Even though the keyboards menu looks like it is for direct keyboard input, it actually controls all input into the virtual divisions.

That isn't actually quite correct in the case of Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI player, which always uses and requires the special, fixed MIDI implementation that's described for the currently-loaded organ by the 'Recording | View MIDI recorder/player/sequencer MIDI implementation (for this organ)' menu function (see also the 'Recording and playing back live solo performances: the built-in MIDI recorder/player and its fixed MIDI implementation' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide -- page 181 in the v4.2.1 version -- and the 'MIDI recorder/player/sequencer MIDI implementation' section -- page 226-227).

Hence if loading a MIDI file in Hauptwerk's MIDI player you need to make sure that the file has been saved to use that specific MIDI implementation.

Alternatively, if you wanted to interface Sibelius directly to Hauptwerk (rather than using Hauptwerk's built-in MIDI player), see the 'Composing pieces off-line from MIDI notation software' section in the guide (pages 194-199 in the v4.2.1 version).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Laura Cecilia

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 11:42 am

Thanks for the clarification! However, I checked and double-checked to make sure that the pedal notes were on channel 1, and the Great notes were on channel 2, and the problem is still happening.

I also tried making two separate MIDI files, one with only the pedal notes on channel 1, and one with only the Great notes on channel 2. The one for the pedal worked correctly, but the second one still only played on the pedals.

mdyde

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 12:50 pm

Hello Laura,

A brief suggestion could be to check that you don't have MIDI output configured from a Hauptwerk virtual keyboard which is then fed back into Hauptwerk (e.g. via a MIDI loopback device) into another virtual keyboard. E.g. try loading your MIDI file is a different/spare 'Hauptwerk (alt config N)' configuration (with all default MIDI settings), so as to determine whether something like that could be the issue. You could also turn on the 'log all MIDI ...' advanced general preference, then look in the log to see what's being received/triggered when you play your MIDI file.

However, I'll have to leave it to you to investigate, I'm afraid. (Hauptwerk's MIDI player definitely uses the MIDI implementation I mentioned, and works properly with it.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

larason2

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 3:39 pm

It appears that Sibelius automatically assigns MIDI channels based on its own internal logic. This may be why you are having trouble. See this forum post:

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcen ... 3&&guest=1

It suggests a way to change it, but that probably depends on what version of Sibelius you are using. I seem to recall that there were major changes between version 6, 7, and 8 (and I only used V6 and 7), so things may have changed between versions. Given this, the easiest way may be to edit the midi files in a third party application, or try to get the VST out working for Sibelius.

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Hello Laura,

I will email you a little document that I made many years ago for a client of mine about using Sibelius (7) and Hauptwerk 4.

It may help you...
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

GrahamH

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 7:37 am

That menu looks like it's for direct keyboard input, and I'm just loading a file. I tried switching the channels anyway, then I reloaded the file and the same problem happened.

Under General settings/MIDI ports/MIDI IN ports, tick the box under Console MIDI IN, not Sequencer MIDI IN (advanced usage).

As far as Hauptwerk is concerned it makes no difference whether the MIDI note on/off messages come from a MIDI file or from a physical console.
If your Pedal and Great tracks in Sibelius are configured to the same MIDI channels as your Pedal and Great divisions (keyboards) in Hauptwerk, it should work.

PS - I forgot to say - you need either a virtual or preferably a real MIDI cable connecting your MIDI file players MIDI out port to Hauptwerk's MIDI in port.

Graham

Return to Free Edition support (users supporting users)