It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

FYI - Microsoft Working to Sunset Windows Control Panel

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

FYI - Microsoft Working to Sunset Windows Control Panel

JulianMoney-Kyrle

Re: FYI - Microsoft Working to Sunset Windows Control Panel

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 6:02 pm

I followed your link but it took me a while to work out what this was all about. I didn't realise that "sunset" could be a transitive verb. How do you conjugate it? Have Microsoft sunsat anything else that we ought to know about?

engrssc

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 7:04 pm

Another way to think of "sunset" is to phase-out. Heard of being in the sunset of one's life? :shock:

M/S is diligently working on these so called improvements. Quite for sure they are not considering the relatively small user groups such as Hauptwerk people. Their focus is on the larger numbers. An opinion - it seems there is a need to constantly be re-educated in things that supersede the things we have just finished learning about. Controlled obsolescence, maybe? directed at those who for sure need to have the latest and the greatest.

I read a piece a while ago called something like The Price of Progress with price being a large, important part of that process. For instance, I was talking to a fella who was telling me that he was building a massive (expensive) super high speed computer with all the latest highest end generation 4 components, well over $4K. At least he was honest when I asked him how much of the computing power was he actually going to use? His answer - "It's not that I need all that, I just wanted to do it to see if it can be done." OK, that's his "thing". Could be he is the kind who wants to put expensive hub caps on his lawn mower.This isn't meant to be a negative.

To me, at least, Hauptwerk is a practical means to an end. The end being a very realistic pipe organ like sounding instrument without having to pay the big buck marketing costs of some commercial organs. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 6:48 am

Another thought from someone who read this post. In essence, this person wasn't against progress, but more to not appreciating the learning curve which appears to be getting steeper for most items. As well the time it takes. :o

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:I didn't realize that "sunset" could be a transitive verb. How do you conjugate it?

As far as conjugating "sunset" in this context, will leave that to the English language majors. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

PostFri Jul 10, 2020 1:08 pm

engrssc wrote:Another thought from someone who read this post. In essence, this person wasn't against progress, but more to not appreciating the learning curve which appears to be getting steeper for most items. As well the time it takes. :o

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:I didn't realize that "sunset" could be a transitive verb. How do you conjugate it?

As far as conjugating "sunset" in this context, will leave that to the English language majors. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

I think it would conjugate the same as terminate.
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostFri Jul 10, 2020 1:24 pm

organtechnology wrote:
engrssc wrote:Another thought from someone who read this post. In essence, this person wasn't against progress, but more to not appreciating the learning curve which appears to be getting steeper for most items. As well the time it takes. :o

Rgds,
Ed

I think it would conjugate the same as terminate.

Not like set, then, which is irregular?

OrganoPleno

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 12:49 pm

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:Not like set, then, which is irregular?

As you please. Usage for Computer Terminology can differ from the standard language. Specifically, by avoiding the irregularities. So a feature could well be "Sunsetted", just as the plural of a Computer Mouse is always "Mouses".

engrssc

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 1:40 pm

Hmmm, according to Wikipedia:

The plural for the small rodent is always "mice" in modern usage. The plural of a computer mouse is either "mouses" or "mice" according to most dictionaries, with "mice" being more common.

My old English prof many times used the phrase: "So what's in a word?"

In any "case", I don't like mice esp when they decided to use our garage as their maternity ward. :x

Rgds,
Ed

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 2:16 pm

OrganoPleno wrote:
JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:Not like set, then, which is irregular?

As you please. Usage for Computer Terminology can differ from the standard language. Specifically, by avoiding the irregularities. So a feature could well be "Sunsetted", just as the plural of a Computer Mouse is always "Mouses".

I have only ever heard them referred to as mice, but I was educated and have always lived in the UK. For that matter, "sunsetted" surely isn't techical jargon, which is there to allow clarity and precision in communication, but sounds more like managementspeak, which seems to exist to provide a ready-made vocabulary and script for those who have nothing worthwhile to say.

In my experience, new words (or usages) dreamt up by computer users are not generally informed by any knowledge of the history of the English language. In medicine (my field) and biology, when you encounter an unfamiliar word a little awareness of Latin and Greek roots (not much is needed) makes it straightforward to guess the meaning and also how to spell it. Indeed, there was a time when scientists took the trouble to ensure that any words they coined were apt and would be universally understood.

When Michael Faraday found himself faced with the task of naming the points where a current flowing in an electrolyte arose from and went to, he consulted the classicist William Whewell, telling him that he imagined the current flowing from East to West, like the sun. He had considered terms such as eastode and westode, oriode and occidode, eisode and exode... Whewell suggested anode and cathode, referencing the Greek words for the way the sun rose and set. Faraday liked the idea and used them in his paper on electrolysis. Now that seems to me both etymologically sound and a way of helping to visualise the flow of electrical current; a proper use of sunset.

(Faraday knew nothing of electrons or other subatomic particles, and we still follow his convention in describing electric current as flowing from positive to negative, despite electrons in a circuit travelling the other way. Though in electrolytes and also semiconductors the charge carriers flow in both directions, of course...)

engrssc

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 2:46 pm

Not that this thought is esp relevant, coming from an era when we learned about proper word usage, proper punctuation, capitalization, etc, it seems those attributes are getting less important. Within the little I know about coding, (thinking of Hauptwerk and sample sets) I'm of the opinion that attention to details is an important feature to avoid "bugs". and the need to create "fixes". Why today we can rely on computer "apps" to take the place and do for us proper grammar. And then, too, how could we function without the proverbial SpellChecker? :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 2:54 pm

engrssc wrote:Hmmm, according to Wikipedia:

The plural for the small rodent is always "mice" in modern usage. The plural of a computer mouse is either "mouses" or "mice" according to most dictionaries, with "mice" being more common.

My old English prof many times used the phrase: "So what's in a word?"

In any "case", I don't like mice esp when they decided to use our garage as their maternity ward. :x

Rgds,
Ed

Unfortunately in my case it is rats in the shed, not mice. However, they seem to have attracted a buzzard, which I have seen flying out of the shed several times and which is doing a good job of keeping the numbers down. Now if only I could do something about the muntjac coming into the garden and eating my blackcurrants...

The spellchecker is a mixed blessing, especially the one on my phone, which keeps changing what I am trying to say into nonsense and thinks my wife's name is "Heavier".

engrssc

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 3:02 pm

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:The spellchecker is a mixed blessing, especially the one on my phone, which keeps changing what I am trying to say into nonsense and thinks my wife's name is "Heavier".

That could be somewhat dangerous to one's marital health.

In addition to deer, we have a pair or red fox which "sun" themselves on our patio. We have adopted a rule - I don't bother them and they don't bother me. Living slightly rural has what I prefer to think of as features. But along with the pluses is the fact of slow-er Internet service esp noticeable when downloading large sample set files. :|

Rgds,
Ed

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 5:18 pm

We get lots of foxes in our tiny garden in London, and even sometimes on the doorstep, but their favourite trick is to sit on the garden wall, which drives our spaniel mad. In Wiltshire (where I am at the moment) the foxes are far too shy to let themselves be seen except at a distance, but you know they are there, for instance when one of them killed all my neighbour's chickens the other day. But I see roe deer, fallow deer and mutjac from the kitchen window, as well as brown hares, herons, red kite, buzzards and the occasional sparrowhawk, and there is a barn owl living in one of the out-buildings (with little owls and tawny owls audible every night); I have even occasionally seen badgers when out walking.

The other advantage of being in the country is that space is less of a premium, so I can dedicate a large room to my HW set-up.

On the other hand we are 2 Km from the fibre broadband junction box, and with twisted copper the rest of the way I can usually only get about 3 - 4 MBPS. I can watch TV, listen to Internet radio or download files, but not two at once.

Return to Computer hardware / specs