It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am

Richard McVeigh's new Hauptwerk computer(s)

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Richard McVeigh's new Hauptwerk computer(s)

PostFri Jul 31, 2020 4:14 pm

Last edited by engrssc on Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

engrssc

Re: Richsrd McVeigh's new Hauptwerk computer(s)

PostFri Jul 31, 2020 7:54 pm

A couple comments (which no one including Richard has asked for).

Definitely an upgrade from his former Dell laptop. The biggest issue I can see putting 2 computers in a small space of a closed cabinet. Doubt the streamer would generate too much heat, but the HW computer behind it, hmmmm. Of course the easy fix for that is simply to leave the cabinet doors open when playing the organ. The Samsung SM951 is a good choice for a small NVMe SSD probably used for the OS and for HW. I question the use of the WD 1TB HDD which is a mechanical drive. A better choice IMHO, would have been to use a single either a 1TB or 2TB SSD (NVMe) in place of the SM951.Something like a Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 1TB Internal PCI Express
Some question whether there would be a better choice for his audio card, Focusrite Scarlett 2nd generation 18i20 ??

On his editing setup, unless I miss my guess that (server) rig he's got won't be esp quiet. The AMD Ryzen Threadripper,while being lightning fast is a real monster requiring liquid cooling and big (noisy IMO) fans. (Never been an AMD "fan" plus the Thresdripper can be quite temperamental at times)..I admit, tho that I've not had first hand experience because I have no need of anything that big.

Everything else looks good, Any further thoughts, anybody ?

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 3:20 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 2:29 pm

Got an answer from Caroline that the computer cabinet doors are left open when then organ is played and also the cabinet has no back. This from a live Q & A shortly ago.

Rgds,
Ef

IainStinson

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 4:23 am

I would suspect that Richard uses the HW audio recorder for the sound for his videos rather than the output from his audio unit. Synchronising the audio and video needs some care and skill but should offer the best sound quality.

The Focusrite equipment is good. I used a pair of Pro40s (gen 1) which were great. I replaced them with a Motu24AO because Focusrite stopped supporting the Windows drivers for them and eventually they would no longer group into one device.

Iain

engrssc

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 8:06 am

IainStinson wrote:I would suspect that Richard uses the HW audio recorder for the sound for his videos rather than the output from his audio unit. Synchronising the audio and video needs some care and skill but should offer the best sound quality.

Was under the impression that he does, at times, live events. Not sure how the HW audio recorder output could be used in that case. Granted to sync the audio and video, the audio needs to be delayed which can be done in real time.

Rgds,
Ed

RaymondList

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 9:14 am

engrssc wrote:Was under the impression that he does, at times, live events. Not sure how the HW audio recorder output could be used in that case.

Yes, he has been doing two live per week for a few months now. One that I've thoroughly enjoyed is every Sunday afternoon (USA East coast time), he does a three to four hour hymn request program live. One can request a favorite hymn in the chat window, and he does his best to play all the requests. Since the "lock down", this has been my favorite time of the week.
Ray

engrssc

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 9:41 am

Totally agree. Richard and Caroline do a very commendable and enjoyable service.

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 10:35 am

Thinking about it, Richard must use the live output from the Focusrite unit as the audio input for his live streamed programs, the HW audio recorder was files are not real-time output.
Iain

engrssc

Re: Richard McVeigh's new Hauptwerk computer(s)

PostSun Aug 02, 2020 11:11 am

He switches between his live microphone audio and the direct organ feed. You may recall, shortly ago, there was a distortion issue with the direct organ feed that was not present with his microphone audio nor his live, on site (in the room) audio. Very difficult to analyze these things when a person is both audio engineer as well as on air talent. This is not unique with Richard but has and does occur with other (esp) YouTube webcasts. All in all, these folks do a great job and we can appreciate their efforts. :)

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Computer hardware / specs