It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:48 pm

Building a chamber organ - Richard McVeigh

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Building a chamber organ - Richard McVeigh

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 2:55 am

Grant_Youngman

Re: Building a chamber organ - Richard McVeigh

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 9:30 am

Interesting.

This video also provides some insight into an earlier question — which was why McVeigh's sample set(s) sounds different (or better, I think was the description?) from the same sample set when played locally on the questioner's organ (sorry, I've lost track of the original post, and don't recall who asked the question).

It's clear, with one brief exception in the video where you do very briefly hear the dry Prib au naturel, that the video recording had considerable added reverberation and/or other processing. I suspect there may be similar audio post processing in many of his videos, which could explain the differences. I'm not saying that's a bad thing necessarily, just that it can make a sample set sound considerably different than the same set played in it's original recorded form straight from Hauptwerk in your living room or on headphones.
Grant

richmcveigh

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 5:09 pm

Hi Grant,

I had to add some reverb to Prib for this video otherwise it would’ve sounded like you were listening to the organ from inside the organ itself.

The chamber organ is used as a chamber organ, and therefore Prib is loaded as the dry version (and its bone dry!).

The samples that I use on my channel sound even better in my room, and it’s a shame it doesn’t come across as I hear it from the console.

My ultimate goal is to allow people to experience the sound of the organ as if they were in the actual church/cathedral. I try to make the experience as immersive as possible.
I like organs. I like technology. This is why I like Hauptwerk.
- Richard McVeigh

Grant_Youngman

PostSat Aug 08, 2020 10:10 pm

richmcveigh wrote:from the console.

My ultimate goal is to allow people to experience the sound of the organ as if they were in the actual church/cathedral. I try to make the experience as immersive as possible.

Your recordings do sound very good. And are certainly enjoyable ...
Grant

murph

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 12:07 pm

What Richard doesn't say here is that he spends a few days (weeks?) voicing new organs, rather than just using them out of the box. That can make quite a difference to the end result.

Tony

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI