It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:19 pm

24ao Channel Pair Output Question

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

Doug S.

24ao Channel Pair Output Question

PostSun Sep 20, 2020 6:18 pm

Am I asking for trouble using a single stereo pair from my MOTU 24ao to input into a headphone amp plus doing double duty as another speaker pair feed? Both would be powered up except for headphone use.
Thanks,
Doug
Doug

IainStinson

Re: 24ao Channel Pair Output Question

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 5:31 am

Not exactly answering your question...
You can configure the optical outputs to support an additional S/Pdif output, which with a converter would give you another independent output.
Pg 40 of the user manual

TOSLink (optical S/PDIF)
Alternately, the optical ports can be configured for stereo TOSLink (optical S/PDIF) in the web app (item #24 on page 15). The optical IN and OUT banks can be configured independently.

Iain

Doug S.

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 9:54 am

It's a bit of a noob question but will I risk damage by hooking up 2 amps to a single 24ao channel?
Doug

engrssc

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 10:06 am

Depending on the input impedance of the amps, yes it can be done. If one of the amps has a lower input impedance, it will effect the other amp. There are available active splitters with separate level controls which would be a better way to do it.

Rgds,
Ed

magnaton

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 1:13 pm

IainStinson wrote:Not exactly answering your question...
You can configure the optical outputs to support an additional S/Pdif output, which with a converter would give you another independent output.
Pg 40 of the user manual

TOSLink (optical S/PDIF)
Alternately, the optical ports can be configured for stereo TOSLink (optical S/PDIF) in the web app (item #24 on page 15). The optical IN and OUT banks can be configured independently.

Iain

Just to be exact on this, only the 1st optical out can be configured to be S/PDIF or ADAT. The other 2 are ADAT only. I agree with Iain that incorporating a S/PDIF converter (readily available) would make for an easy headphone solution.

To expand this post a bit, if you ran out of outputs and need a headphone solution, consider the AudioQuest DragonFly options. These are USB DAC compact units that plug into a USB port and resemble a long flash drive! There has been some discussion about these here on the HW Forum in the past.

Danny B.

Doug S.

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 1:25 pm

Thanks all,
I found a workaround by redirecting a channel pair away from my hardware reverb unit which is no longer needed with V. This pair had been mixed into a single stereo speaker pair to add reverb to dry CODM stops.
Thanks,
Doug
Doug

IainStinson

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 2:40 pm

Pleased you found a solution.

Picking up on magnaton’s post...
I think that HW on Windows only supports one audio interface, so you could not use an additional (USB) device.
On a MacOS I think core audio might allow multiple interfaces to be aggregated into one logical unit for HW.

Iain

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing