It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:44 pm

SSD Performance

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

David Baldwin

SSD Performance

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 1:18 pm

I recently had a system drive failure and I decided since I had to open of the box I would install an SSD to speed up the loading of organs. At the moment, I am not sure that I have done it correctly because it does not feel faster although I didn’t take measurements before the change.
The drive I installed was
1 x Kingston A400 - solid state drive - 240 GB - SATA 6Gb/s
The motherboard Aus Sabretooth X58 with 24Gb of ram. I do not know what speed the mother board is using
The Hauptwerk folders on the hard drive were
Hauptwerk/HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents
Hauptwerk/HauptwerkUserData
And on the SSD
Hauptwerk/HauptwerkInternal/WorkingFiles
Have I got these folders correct?
The St Annes organ now loads in 31sec and the Hereford 67 2:42
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

mdyde

Re: SSD Performance

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 1:32 pm

Hello David,

In case it's relevant: you need to run the Hauptwerk installer to change/move any Hauptwerk installation folders, selecting the Custom mode in it. (Simply copying the folders in Windows Explorer wouldn't be sufficient in itself.)

The 'Section II: Installation: Changing installation locations' section in the user guide covers it. Do make sure you use File | Backup ...' first, since move an existing installation's files isn't always successful.

In case you're instead trying to 'repoint' Hauptwerk to some folders that you've manually, please see this topic:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.ph ... 90#p136990

David Baldwin wrote:The Hauptwerk folders on the hard drive were
Hauptwerk/HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents
Hauptwerk/HauptwerkUserData
And on the SSD
Hauptwerk/HauptwerkInternal/WorkingFiles
Have I got these folders correct?

Although that should be fine, you should get slightly better performance if you also put the HauptwerkUserData on the SSD, i.e. just leave HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents on the non-SSD drive.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

David Baldwin

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 2:52 pm

I haven't tried to repoint using the file explorer. I set up those doing a new hauptwerk installation.
If I want to make the change you recommend, do I have to reinstall all my organs again?
I thought I would get this sorted out before upgrading to v6.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

micdev

Site Admin

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 2:57 pm

Hello David

.... I am not sure that I have done it correctly because it does not feel faster
.....1 x Kingston A400 - solid state drive - 240 GB - SATA 6Gb/s

I would highly recommend that you return your A400 drive. Last year, one of my supplier recommended that A400 drive for the systems that I build for Hauptwerk (always used Samsung but they were B/O for a few weeks). So I trusted him and I prepared two computers with those drives. Alfer a while my clients start complaining about the speed of the drive (at first speed was was ok), loading speed was getting slower and slower. I ran all kind of tests (specs were ok), but in real life use with HW it was incredibly slow. One of my client kept a log of the loading speed. Recaching sometimes solved the problem... for a few days.

In the end I replaced their disk with those I always use, Samsung.

So it is quite possible that your drive is faulty also. Search the web, you will see a lot of report about Kinston A series drive.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

mdyde

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 3:35 pm

Hello David,

To add to Francois' reply:

David Baldwin wrote:If I want to make the change you recommend, do I have to reinstall all my organs again?

If you just want change the HauptwerkUserData path, then just re-run the installer in Custom mode and change its 'User data' path when prompted. As long as the 'Sample sets and components' path (HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents) isn't changed, the risk of the moving process failing (which could perhaps require organs to be reinstalled) is very small.

(However, if you do also change the SSD as Francois mentioned, then a clean reinstall is probably best.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Computer hardware / specs