It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:18 pm

CPU meter redlines, audio cuts out. Why?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

EricMcK

CPU meter redlines, audio cuts out. Why?

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 5:36 pm

Greetings,

I've been trying to solve this for three years. A Windows 10 machine running Hauptwerk V (was running 4.x prior to one year ago), outputting to a Roland Octa-Capture. At random intervals, the CPU meter at Hauptwerk's bottom right corner will peg, and the audio completely cuts out for a second with a "pop." I can make it happen by adding stops while the organ is being played; otherwise, I have to wait for random moments when the CPU decides it has had enough.

Except that this CPU - an Intel quad-core 8000-series - with a gaming motherboard and 32 GB of RAM should not be pushed to its limit by HW - I purposely built the PC to wildly exceed anything HW can throw at it.

Today I captured a diagnostic file immediately after one of the occurrences, but I don't know how to read it.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Eric

mnailor

Re: CPU meter redlines, audio cuts out. Why?

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 8:08 pm

Have you gone through all the Windows tuning recommendations in the performance chapter of the user guide? This behavior happens to mine with every Windows update or new PC. It's usually the BIOS audio on, bad default power-saving settings, or sysmain enabled, but you really have to go through the list carefully.

mdyde

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 4:53 am

Hello Eric,

Yes -- to confirm Mark's reply (thanks, Mark), please try working through that section of the user guide, i.e. 'Section VII: Reference: Performance tuning' (pages 239-255 in the v5.0.1 version of the main Hauptwerk user guide), including the 'Other operating system and computer optimizations and diagnostics' subsection.

E.g. (as one of those steps covers) try leaving LatencyMon ( https://resplendence.com/latencymon ) running while Hauptwerk is running, and see if it reports any problems with real-time performance of the PC when the glitches occur. It often gives a clue as to their source.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

EricMcK

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 12:38 pm

Thank you both - I’ll going through the Performance section of the manual this afternoon. However, I can only seem to find the version 6 of the user manual, not 5.0.1. If someone can steer me toward the correct version, I’d appreciate it. Thanks again.

mdyde

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 12:42 pm

Thanks, Eric.

If you have v5.0.1 installed, you could access it via the 'Help' menu in Hauptwerk.
Best regards, Martin.

EricMcK

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 3:19 pm

I’m pleased to report changing some buffering settings seems to have eliminated the CPU maxing out. And while running through the steps, I discovered that connecting the Roland Octa-Capture to a different USB port elsewhere on the tower PC eliminated the strange digital distortion that was present when Hauptwerk runs, but nothing is being played. All in all, a very successful day!

mdyde

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 4:03 pm

Thanks, Eric. Excellent!
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Technical support