It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am

Dual monitor setup steps?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

golfgrrl

Dual monitor setup steps?

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 12:11 pm

I've been using HW V, running on Win 7 Pro for a few years. I just bought a second monitor (Merry Christmas to me!!). :D Both are ViewSonic model #TD 2230. I'm new to dual-monitor use, and I'm unable to find any instruction online or in the HW manual about dual setup procedure. I'd like to send L stop jamb to monitor 1, and R stop jamb to monitor #2. Both displays are being detected in Control Panel/Appearance/Display/Screen Resolution. If I open two windows on monitor #1, I can set one window to L jamb, and the other as R jamb. I'm just not sure how to send the contents of the second window to monitor #2. (Perhaps opening a second window isn't the way to go about this.)
My display settings options in windows are: 1) Duplicate these displays 2) Extend these displays 3) Show desktop only on #1 4) Show desktop only on #2.
I can also see that there's a place to set up monitor #2 (or 3, or 4) under the View menu in HW.
I've googled and searched a few HW forums, but can't find step-by-step instructions. The HW manual simply says it's possible to set up a second monitor, but doesn't go into any detail. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks, and Merry Christmas! GG

mnailor

Re: Dual monitor setup steps?

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 12:47 pm

I think you use the Extend displays option, then drag one Hauptwerk window to the other monitor. I've done this with other apps, but don't have two displays on HW, but it's worth trying.

mdyde

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 12:48 pm

Hello Golfgrrl,

Yes -- that's the way to do it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

golfgrrl

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 1:46 pm

It took me a little while to understand what you meant, until I realized that you literally grab a window and drag it “off the edge” of the monitor. What fun!! Thank you!!

mdyde

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 1:55 pm

Thanks, Golfgrrl. Have a good Christmas.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

golfgrrl

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 2:01 pm

Unfortunately, the touch screen function isn’t working on the new monitor. I’ve checked to make sure that the USB cable is connected, and I’ve tried a different USB port, but no luck so far. Any thoughts?

micdev

Site Admin

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi,

Open Windows control panel then click "Hardware and sound | Tablet Pc settings "

In the Table Pc Setting windows, click "SETUP" . You will be able to identify (by touching with your finger) your touchscreen monitors.

I know that we can use 2 TD2230 with Windows 10, not sure though that 2 can work with Windows. Don't remember if I used 2 in some of my older Hauptwerk projects (Windows 7)
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

burtonwurli

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 4:16 pm

I had this problem setting up dual monitors. I found that after booting up I had to switch the second monitor USB to another socket every single time I booted up,(hot plugging) and it would only work berween 2 specific usb sockets.

Eventually I used a Belkin 4x4 USB hub and both monitors now work OK though only thru one specific USB socket on the PC

Although I built my own desktop PC for Hauptwerk I am no geek. I believe that the problem probably lies somewhere in the registry, but whilst it works I am not going to fix it

Hope this helps

Derek

golfgrrl

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 10:44 pm

While Francois’ solution works, I am experiencing the problem described by Derek.
I will test with a USB hub tomorrow. Solid advice; thank you all!

golfgrrl

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 8:13 am

After a few days' experimentation, I believe I have stumbled upon a fairly inexpensive solution to your problem, Derek. I happened to have a Belkin USB hub, model #F4U040. With the Belkin hub, both monitors worked correctly at first. But after I rebooted, the second monitor lost its touch input and never worked correctly again. I tried several different ports, plugging one monitor into the Belkin hub and the other directly into a USB port, etc. Then I remembered that I had purchased a powered USB hub for my laptop a few weeks ago in order to run a multi-cam setup for our online worship services. It's a Startech ST4300PBU3. https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/st4300pbu3 I purchased the Startech hub online at Sweetwater.com for $25.99 USD https://www.sweetwater.com/, but it is available at Amazon for around the same price. After plugging both monitors into the Startech hub, I'm happy to report that, so far, it works consistently with all my sample sets that allow L/R stop jamb setup. I believe this is the solution I was looking for. THANK YOU, everyone! Have a very happy, healthy 2021!

burtonwurli

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 11:56 am

Very pleased you found a solution. My monitors are still plugged into the Belkin 4x4 which continues to work both powered or unpowered. It seems to defy logic, only working on one usb outlet on the PC. I did incidentally try 3 different sets of USB cables to no effect. I am however aware that cables can make a big difference. I have been tidying up my setup by using shorter cables and rerouting. A new shorter midi cable kept causing the midi to lock up so I resorted to the original and everything has been OK since.

Derek

Return to Technical support