It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm

Multiple expression pedal configurations

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

psallo

Multiple expression pedal configurations

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 8:04 pm

Assuming a case in which a console has 3 expression pedals, does Hauptwerk provide a way to set up and easily select from multiple expression pedal configurations? For example, configuration A might be

Swell expression
Choir expression
Crescendo

and configuration B might be

Swell expression
Choir expression
Solo expression

etc., and some sort of menu would allow one to quickly select which configuration to use.

mnailor

Re: Multiple expression pedal configurations

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 10:25 pm

The expression and crescendo (including master cresc) are MIDI assigned per sampleset, not globally, so not really.

Each sampleset would have to provide the functionality, like newer Sonus Paradisi ones do with their pedal matrix screen.

You might be able to do part of it for each sampleset by using floating divisions expression sliders (not sure if those transfer or not), but crescendo wouldn't be part of that.

StephenM

PostWed Dec 30, 2020 2:07 am

Psallo,

You ask a question I have asked before in this forum.

As long as one of your pedal options is not the master volume, several recent Sonus Paradisi sets (eg Hill) do exactly what you want.

Check out the pedal matrix screen. It works on the trials if you want to try it out.

To include the master volume (eg switching between master volume and crescendo) I have a dual pot on the pedal and a physical switch to choose which pot is actually active, pot A, pot B or both.

Stephen

mdyde

PostWed Dec 30, 2020 4:28 am

Hello Psallo,

[Topic moved here.]

As Mark and Stephen mentioned, MIDI expression pedals are mapped to virtual expression pedals on a per-organ basis, but beyond that Hauptwerk doesn't have dedicated functionality natively from switching MIDI expression pedal assignments around in real-time (aside from the floating divisions, which can't be used for virtual crescendo pedals). However, it is logged as an enhancement request.

Some sample sets do implement such functionality within their organ definitions (e.g. some recent ones from Sonus Paradisi, and the Hereford Cathedral sample set from Lavender Audio).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

psallo

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 9:49 pm

Thanks, mnailor, Stephen and Martin, for the helpful replies. I'm glad to hear this idea is a potential enhancement.

In the meantime, I wonder what existing Hauptwerk users have done in a situation like this. For example, let's say that a Hauptwerk organ has only 3 expression pedals, but one desires to use a sample set for an organ that has 3 divisions under expression (e.g., Choir, Swell and Solo).

Do people find that it is essential for each of those 3 divisions to have their own independent expression pedal, so that they are willing to forego having a crescendo pedal for that sample set?

Or, do they typically regard having a crescendo pedal as important enough to force two of the divisions under expression (e.g., Choir + Solo) to share one of the 2 remaining expression pedals?

engrssc

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 2:31 pm

Check with Jake subbas32 - customhworgans@gmail.com, He can make it happen just as you want whether the sample set has it natively or not. He will do it on a sample set by sample set basis very reasonably. (Plus other neat stuff as well - by modifying/editing the ODF). He's done several projects for me such as adding sostenuto (mostly found on theatre organs) to several of my classical organs. (Ever need an extra hand?) He's a talented "resource". 8)

He added virtual switches (which can be auto-detected so you can rout (via real switches) as to which expr pedal controls which division.

Would be nice if all of that could be features of Hauptwerk. - hint, hint Martin :wink:

And there are some "purists" that will say "But that's not authentic". So - - - :roll:

BTW, since I haven't "said" it yet, Happy NewYear and a sincere wish that you all stay safe. Best. :)

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Technical support