It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:07 am

emu 1616 PatchMix routing puzzles

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

telemanr

emu 1616 PatchMix routing puzzles

PostSat Dec 15, 2007 9:07 am

For the moment Hauptwerk hasn't been altered from default.
We have 3 sets of speakers connected to the three outputs of the 1616 called Dock 1, 2, & 3.

Hauptwerk is outputting on ASIO 1/2 and we have a patch strip for this and output is visible on the inserted meter slot. The strips for 2/3 and 4/5 have no signal present of course since Hauptwerk isn't currently sending anything there. (We haven't tried to set up rank routing yet)

Is there any way of using PatchMix to vary the volume of each output independantly? The strip seems to send the outpu to the main bus and you can then tick or untick the Physical connection to each Dock which effectively mutes or unmutes each of the outputs but they don't seem to be individually controllable.

This leads to another problem.
If we do change Hauptwerk and send some ranks to ASIO 1/2 and other to ASIO 2/3 and 4/5, how to you set PatchMix up so that ASIO 1/2 only goes to Dock 1 and ASIO 2/3 goes to Dock 2 etc.?
Since the Output display on the right doesn't seem to let you pick a source for each output.
We just can't figure it out.
No wonder the new USB 0404, for instance, did away with PatchMix. It may be powerful but it sure is confusing.

Rob

Uwe Mahnken

Re: emu 1616 PatchMix routing puzzles

PostSat Dec 15, 2007 9:56 am

Hello Rob.
Is there any way of using PatchMix to vary the volume of each output independantly?

yes of course! Each PatchMix strip does have a volume slider. To understand better the routing possibilities of PatchMix I suggest to read the article "Emu's Patchmix DSP Demystified":
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov05/a ... tchmix.htm

Also there exists an audio forum with a very good section for EMU products:
http://www.productionforums.com/

Uwe

telemanr

PostSat Dec 15, 2007 10:48 am

I'll try the links.

But I know that each strip has a slider. That doesn't help if you are trying to control the volume of each OUTPUT separately since one strip (ASIO 1/2) is feeding all of the 3 outputs.

But I've just looked at the first link you provided and I think I see a way around this that we hadn't tried before.
Since this is for a friend and I'll have to use remote administrator to try it out on his machine, I'll have to wait a while to have a session with him and see if I'm on the right track.

Uwe Mahnken

PostSat Dec 15, 2007 12:20 pm

telemanr wrote:But I know that each strip has a slider. That doesn't help if you are trying to control the volume of each OUTPUT separately since one strip (ASIO 1/2) is feeding all of the 3 outputs.

It's easy, just assign the three outputs to different ASIO outputs.

Uwe

telemanr

PostSat Dec 15, 2007 1:55 pm

Exactly where do you assign a different output to the ASIO Output?
For instance. Given the strips ASIO IN 1/2 and ASIO IN 3/4. Just exactly where and how would you connect 1/2 to Dock 1 and 2/3 to Dock 2?

Do you mean using inserts in each of the given strips?

Rob

Uwe Mahnken

PostSat Dec 15, 2007 2:58 pm

Put an Insert Send (Output to ASIO/WAVE or Physicall out) into each strip, you can choose from all availbale outputs there. That's all.

Uwe

Colossus

E-Mu 1616 Patch Mix and Hauptwerk Multiple Routing

PostSat Dec 15, 2007 5:05 pm

Many thanks to telemanr and BachsFugue (also Uwe Mahnken) for sorting out my DSP PatchMix software and enabling multirouting on my Hauptwerk v3 organs.

Now, once we master the 'mixdown to reverb', we can sit back, relax, and play with more realistic sound.

Colossus

BachsFugue

PostMon Dec 17, 2007 12:17 pm

We have managed to make the 'mixdown to reverb' work on David's (Colossus's) E-MU 1616 and Hauptwerk 3. The excellent example in Martin's documentation on Audio routing and multi-channel audio tipped the meters into the positive-result arena. Thank you Martin.

A big Thank You! to Rob (telemanr), too. The three of us working through Skype have accomplished (according to David) a very nice sound from his E-MU 1616, three sets of powered speakers, and a Lexicon MPX110.

And now, on to the next project!
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

charlton

PostWed Oct 01, 2008 11:02 pm

I am curious why you use the Lexicon for reverb along with the E-MU1616. Is this better than the reverb which you can use with PatchMix which comes with the card?

bcollins

PostWed Oct 01, 2008 11:44 pm

Patchmix only allows reverb to be added to 2 pairs of channels. Also, it's a bit processor intensive and will affect total polyphony.
Bob Collins

eajohnson

PostThu Oct 02, 2008 11:22 am

I use a Lexicon 110 and yes, it has a much better, more convincing reverb than the onboard EMU reverb. However, once Hauptwerk is updated to include a reverb convolver then that will be the way to go!

Eric
Owner of an old Schober homebuilt, midified and Hauptwerkified.

wurlitzerwilly

Re: emu 1616 PatchMix routing puzzles

PostThu Oct 02, 2008 5:31 pm

Uwe Mahnken wrote:Hello Rob.
Is there any way of using PatchMix to vary the volume of each output independantly?

yes of course! Each PatchMix strip does have a volume slider. To understand better the routing possibilities of PatchMix I suggest to read the article "Emu's Patchmix DSP Demystified":
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov05/a ... tchmix.htm

Also there exists an audio forum with a very good section for EMU products:
http://www.productionforums.com/

Uwe

Thanks for the links. I followed them and inwardly digested all that I could find and I now have a fully working system with 2 stereo mains and 1 mono bass split. It's interesting to watch the peak meters swap channels on the C/C# split.

Regards,

Alan.

Return to Technical support