It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am

Sound Card Advice

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

sutherland

Sound Card Advice

PostWed Dec 26, 2007 3:30 pm

I'm currently using an EMU 0404 sound card with HW2.2 and XP64, a couple of Tapco S5 studio monitors and an SW10 subwoofer. I'd like to upgrade my hardware so that I can get another pair of speakers and have what's needed to use the different channels whenever I upgrade to HW3. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that means I could do things like play a hauptwerk section through one set of speakers and the ruckpositiv through another.)

My point is to ask for advice on what definitely works with 64bit or Vista 64 bit because reading the forums it seems that things don't always work out as planned. I'd like to spend as close to £100/$200 as possible, but I'd go higher if it would really benefit even though I'd only have 4 speakers plus a subwoofer. I've been considering things like M-Audio Delta 66 or the EMU 1616PCI.

Does anyone have these running flawlessly with x64 or is there something else I should consider?

Thanks

Philip

davidgarner16

PostWed Dec 26, 2007 4:38 pm

I have the 1616 PCI working flawlessly under 64-bit windows XP.

Hope this helps.

David.

mdyde

PostThu Dec 27, 2007 8:22 am

Hello Philip,

I'd like to upgrade my hardware so that I can get another pair of speakers and have what's needed to use the different channels whenever I upgrade to HW3. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that means I could do things like play a hauptwerk section through one set of speakers and the ruckpositiv through another.)

That's correct - the Advanced Edition allows you to route different divisions to different physical audio outputs.

My point is to ask for advice on what definitely works with 64bit or Vista 64 bit because reading the forums it seems that things don't always work out as planned. I'd like to spend as close to £100/$200 as possible, but I'd go higher if it would really benefit even though I'd only have 4 speakers plus a subwoofer. I've been considering things like M-Audio Delta 66 or the EMU 1616PCI.

The list of audio interfaces we've tested successfully under various versions of Windows are listed here:

http://www.crumhorn-labs.com/Hauptwerk- ... Card.shtml

Some others that I understand to work well on 64-bit Windows from users and others: RME HDSP 9632, RME Fireface 800, Presonus Firepod, E-MU 1616/1616M PCI ('M' models have higher audio quality).

I don't know specifically about the M-Audio Delta 66, but I suspect its (beta) 64-bit XP driver only works with 32-bit applications, which is the case for M-Audio's other drivers (see notes on above page). Also M-Audio don't yet support 64-bit Vista for most of their interfaces.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

sutherland

PostThu Dec 27, 2007 9:02 am

Thanks David and Martin. I had no good excuse for missing that page on the website, but somehow I did. Sounds like the 1616 is a sensible option for my purposes.

Philip

Jon Hammond

PostTue Jan 01, 2008 7:32 am

Check the Echo Gina 3G. This said after considerable literature research. I have been using the Layla 3G for many months. Both share than same users manual. All drivers, XP, XP64, Vista & VIsta 64 are supported. I'm using XP64. Specs are better than Presonus. Sound is very clean and strong. Much better than my LT-1010 which is now boxed up. My Layla 3G also drives a ADA8000 for 16 channel output.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing