It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 am

Lighting for console music stand

Connecting Hauptwerk to MIDI organs, sequencers, ...
  • Author

MRGreenwood

Lighting for console music stand

PostThu Jan 03, 2008 6:04 pm

I'd appreciate any advice regarding suitable music stand lighting for my console project.

Because I've fitted a 3 manual stack into what was the frame of a 2 manual console, space is quite tight. So what I'm hoping to do is to find some appropriate lighting that I can mount behind the 40mm deep horizontal cross-piece that runs left to right under the front of the roof of the console.

So in summary one or more bulbs/units that,

- will provide sufficient light for the music stand which is 200mm away from where I can mount the light(s)
- can be mounted under the roof of the console and hidden behind a 40mm deep cross piece

Other thoughts,

- is anyone using LED lighting strips for this purpose?
- am I going to need to put some form of heat dissipator behind the bulbs?

All thoughts/ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Martin G

cknight

PostThu Jan 03, 2008 10:07 pm

I experimented with LED light strips for the music light on my console. For even light distribution with the LEDs so close to the music, one needs a good diffuser, and that wouldn't fit in the space available. So I used "daylight" fluorescent tubes instead; they get warm but not hot and are similar in color to white LEDs. If you use fluorescent lights, get an electronic ballast so there isn't any flicker or audible hum.

I used the LED strips as pedal lights; they're great in that application. There's a picture of the pedal lights on my project blog. The point sources of the LEDs make the chrome toestuds appear to sparkle.
Clinton Knight
Apex, NC, USA
http://ambassadororgan.wordpress.com/

sutherland

PostWed Mar 05, 2008 2:41 pm

I bought this picture light from IKEA: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80037009

I then dismantled it, turned the metal tubes round, screwed it back together and fixed it to the back of my music stand. It works perfectly and it was only £13.99.

Philip

prinzipal

PostWed Mar 05, 2008 3:41 pm

Exact that IKEA lamp I build into my self-midified Laukhuff Console:

Best Regards,
Johan

sutherland

PostThu Mar 06, 2008 1:32 pm

Great minds thing alike. Maybe IKEA have yet to realise their full potential in the organ console market.

Return to Audio / MIDI interfacing