It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

Zwolle Surround Sound Wet sample set

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Eric Sagmuller

Zwolle Surround Sound Wet sample set

PostSun Apr 13, 2008 1:20 pm

Hello friends,

I'm a newbie to this forum but have been reading postings and really enjoy the informative discussions.

I have been constructing/expanding an organ with real pipes for some time but am really interested in using Hauptwerk to either supplement, or even possibly replace the pipes. From the demo's I've heard I've been very impressed.

At this point I'm waiting for PCB board kits so I can add MIDI out to my console. In the meantime I've been comparing the various sample sets and am pretty sure I will be using the Zwolle wet set.

What I'd like though is to hear some feedback on some that may have used the surround version as to how it sounds. Also if it's still possible to use a multi audio channel setup using the surround version especially on the front channels, but maybe the rear too.

I will probably start with the basic wet set, but really like the idea of the surround set to add later.

Thanks,
Eric

Gert

PostMon Apr 14, 2008 2:46 am

Eric,
I have the Zwolle Wet ( see http://www.pcorgan.com/SampleSetsEN.html#Zwolle ) and I'm so satisfied that I will try the surround version too.

At this moment I have only the single channel soundcard EMU 0404.
Next weekend I will get the multi channel EMU 1616M PCI and try the Zwolle Surround (and try my 'new' 2e hand REL Strata 5 Subwoofer which goes down to 16 Hz!).

So after about 2 weeks I can you inform about my experiences.

I have a question too for Zwolle users: Who can me give advices for good plenum registrations?

Regards,
Gert
www.PCorgan.com

Eric Sagmuller

PostMon Apr 14, 2008 6:30 am

Hi Gert,

Thanks for your reply and will be anxious to hear how you like the surround sound when you get it. I really like your website too. Do you have all those sample sets that are shown and are all the demo pieces played by you?

Gert

PostMon Apr 14, 2008 6:39 am

Do you have all those sample sets that are shown and are all the demo pieces played by you?

Yes, Yes, but Hauptwerk and the sample sets are so nice, so it is a enjoyable job.
Last edited by Gert on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Sagmuller

PostMon Apr 14, 2008 6:52 am

That's great! I wish I could play that well.

I'm going to get the E-MU 1212M audio card to start with, then if I want more channels I can add the AudioDock, which is basically the 1616M you speak of. The only thing I don't like about the E-MU cards is that you can't add more later for more channels and the 1616M only has 6 analog outputs while their older 1820M had 8 outputs.

Gert

PostMon Apr 14, 2008 7:03 am

An other disadvantage of the 1212M (and 0404) is the absence of a headphone pre-amplifier. That's also one of the reasons I have bought a 1616M now.

Eric Sagmuller

PostMon Apr 14, 2008 7:15 am

Yes you're right. I remember that now, and is a nice feature.

Vladimir Ratkovsky

1616 m headphone pre-amp

PostMon Apr 14, 2008 7:57 am

Gert wrote:An other disadvantage of the 1212M (and 0404) is the absence of a headphone pre-amplifier. That's also one of the reasons I have bought a 1616M now.

Dear Gert,

I have an E-MU 1616 interface.

I dont know if you tried your 1616M EMU yet, but as I read in the user's manual, the headphone output on the "box" shares the same routing as 1L/1R - says the user's manual. Page 14, the note written in the brackets....

I have a 5+1 set up with analogue outputs (1L/1R...3L/3R) connected to the multichannel amp and speakers but in the evenings, obviously, I want to play with headphones on.

I was sure that plugging my headphones in the headphone output on EMU 1616 will mix down all 6 outputs to a single stereo (headphone) output. But surprise- I can hear only ranks that I routed to 1L/1R.....
Vladimir

Gert

PostMon Apr 14, 2008 10:12 am

Vladimir,
Thanks for the warning.
Only channel 1/2 is better for me because I will use the Zwolle Surround (Ch 1/2 is normal wet, Ch 3/4 mostly reverb).
For other sets I think I will provide them with the normal (low volume level) stereo or a little reverb added. Then it is better that the Headphone output only contains Ch 1/2.
regards,
Gert
www.PCorgan.com
info@PCorgan.com

Gert

PostFri May 02, 2008 1:19 am

After some trouble with my new multi channel sound card, I tried the Zwolle Surround version. It works greatly; it improves the spacial effect a lot.
The problem is that I cannot demonstrate it via internet, when you want, you can hear it at my home.

I tested it with my 4 speakers (2x Genelec 8040 for Front and 2 x Kenwood for Rear) at 2 locations:
1) Front / Rear
Code: Select all

F1  organ   F2
    player

R1          R2

2) Rear beside the Front speakers
Code: Select all
R1   F1  organ   F2    R2
         player

I preferred location 1) but also 2) gives a better effect than only the standard wet version.

I tested also 4 configurations:
1) Zwolle Surround standard wet
2) Zwolle Surround, the reverb of the Front stops limited to 500ms
3) Zwolle Wet, provide the Rear speakers with same sound as the Front speakers
4) Zwolle Wet, provide the Rear speakers with same sound as the Front Speakers and add reverb of my sound card

No doubt, Configuration 1) was absolutely the best choice for a good spacial effect. But...
One thought, the requirements (both, for memory and polyphony) are nearly twice at high as the Wet set.

I loaded the surround set:
Pedal and Rear channels of other stops:
- Compression on
- Only first loop
- 14 Bit

Other stops (Front channel):
- Compression on
- Only first loop
- 16 Bit

3 Pedal stops + 18 other stops: 3.431.000 kB (I have Vista 64 Bit and 4 GB ram).

So I expect with 8 Gb you can load about 6 Pedal stops + 40 other stops.

The Front Stereo channel is the same as the Zwolle Wet version. The Rear channels contain more reverb than 'pipe sound'.

Regards,
Gert
www.PCorgan.com
info@PCorgan.com (I'm on holiday for the next week, so I cannot answer my mail)
Last edited by Gert on Wed May 14, 2008 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eric Sagmuller

PostFri May 02, 2008 6:48 am

Hi Gert,

I was just thinking if you've had a chance to try the surround out yet. Your post seems very encouraging. Yes, my one concern too was the large amount of memory needed. I plan to have 64 bit, 8 Gig to start with anyway. I guess to get more memory on a PC one would need a server type motherboard that can handle two processors and more memory.

The other option is to go the convolver route. I am quite interested in this, but may wait until Hauptwerk has a convolver. Maybe someone will come out with a 64bit version in the meantime.

Return to Hauptwerk instruments