It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:08 am

M audio 2496 or E-mu soundcart.

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Lub

M audio 2496 or E-mu soundcart.

PostSat May 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Hello all,

What is better,wait for the 64bits driver for de M audio cart,or by the EMU soundcart?.I have nou the M audio 2496 and XP32 bits,but next week, vista 64 bits.

Regards,Lub

jds

PostSat May 03, 2008 5:04 pm

I've been using the EMU-0404 PCI since 2006 with Hauptwerk on XP/64 and now Vista 64 (download latest drivers from EMU site). I only use the SPDIF digital output, so can't comment on the quality of the analouge section. It's a great card if you want simple stereo output. Be sure your PC has a legacy PCI v2.1 compliant slot for it. The card also has MIDI I/O which I also use with Hauptwerk, I've not had problems.

David

OPUS1883

PostMon May 05, 2008 2:45 am

David, i understand you use the digital output for harptwerk... Did you notice a big difference over the analogue output... also, what amps and speakers are you using...

Regards,
Chris

prinzipal

PostMon May 05, 2008 4:30 am

I have an equal question: I want to buy me a new soundcard, M-Audio Delta 44 or Audiophlie 2496, or the E-MU 404. On the M-Audio website you can read that they have developed new beta drivers for Vista-64bit (Delta 44 and Audiophile 2496), is anybody running these cards with this beta-driver?
Thank you very much.

Johan

OPUS1883

PostMon May 05, 2008 4:57 am

I have just removed my m-audio 1010LT sound card and replaced it with the E-MU 1212M. I got fed up with trying to find compatible drivers for 64 bit vista. The E-MU card works perfectly with the drivers i downloaded from the E-MU web site support page.

eajohnson

PostMon May 05, 2008 12:56 pm

I also just updated to Vista 64 bit and use an 0404 card -- the installation was flawless (using the drivers from the EMU site) and the performance is excellent. I have an M audio 2496 card for another computer used in an audio recording studio and 64 bit didn't work that well for me in that application, so I stayed with 32 bit there since I don't need much memory with the audio apps I run.

The only "drawback" to the EMU cards is the patchmix interface which, at least for me, took some learning to figure out. But once you get the hang of it it works fine....

Eric
Owner of an old Schober homebuilt, midified and Hauptwerkified.

andy

PostMon May 05, 2008 3:27 pm

I have the e-mu 1212m card for some months now working on vist 64 without any problems. I finaly hooked up my stereo using the optical dat out , and I can realy tell the difference. The patchmix took a while to get used to using though. I use the lite- reverb fx and that does the trick for me.

jds

PostMon May 05, 2008 9:49 pm

Rodgers Theatre wrote:David, i understand you use the digital output for harptwerk... Did you notice a big difference over the analogue output... also, what amps and speakers are you using...

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris, I've only used the SPDIF output from the 0404 card. The SPDIF goes into an Anthem home theatre processer to PMC speakers powered by Bryston and Flying Mole amps. It's a multi-purpose setup.

davidgarner16

PostTue May 06, 2008 4:29 pm

David, i understand you use the digital output for harptwerk... Did you notice a big difference over the analogue output... also, what amps and speakers are you using...

It depends on whether your amp or the soundcard has the better quality digital-to-analog converter (DAC). If you have one of the 'M' EMU soundcards, you would have to have a very good amp for the quality of the amp's DAC to exceed that of the soundcard's. Even if you don't have an 'M' EMU soundcard, I reckon that the quality of the soundcard's DAC will exceed that of most consumer hi-fi equipment.

David.

OAM

PostWed May 07, 2008 1:02 am

OAM uses and recommends the professional RME HDSP 9632 card with a stable and low-latency 64-bit driver for XP64 and Vista.

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/hdsp9632.htm

Due to my experience, especially the EMU0404 is a low-cost audio card, which doesn't have a sound quality appropriate for (OAM)Hauptwerk sample sets.
The card has a strong sound colouring, for example boosts high frequencies in an unnatural way.

The RME card, which is worldwide running in audio and broadcasting studios, is not the cheapest, but perhaps the best one, which is affordable.
Prof. Helmut Maier
OrganArt Media Sound Engineering
D-88662 Überlingen/Lake Constance
http://www.organartmedia.com

Anton Heger

PostFri May 09, 2008 2:44 am

Due to my experience, especially the EMU0404 is a low-cost audio card, which doesn't have a sound quality appropriate for (OAM)Hauptwerk sample sets.
The card has a strong sound colouring, for example boosts high frequencies in an unnatural way.

Thanks to Helmut Maier for this explanation!

I have a E-MU 0404 and with some sets, I have had sometimes problems with high frequency noises in the sound (sets where the highest harmonics are not filtered out during the noise reduction proces).
Because of the explanation given by prof. Maier, I reduced the frequencies above 10kHz with about 6 dB (with a 3-band equalizer in PatchMix) and the resulting sound is far better!

Are there others with the same experience? If so, should the EMU 0404 remain on the list of recommended soundcards?

mdyde

PostFri May 09, 2008 5:37 am

Hello Anton,

Are there others with the same experience? If so, should the EMU 0404 remain on the list of recommended soundcards?

In an ideal world, we'd only recommend high-end audio interfaces because the results are undoubtedly much better. However, not everybody can afford them, so the list of audio interfaces is intended to cater for a selection of budgets. The 0404 is the cheapest audio interface on the list of recommended interfaces and, broadly speaking, you usually get what you pay for from an audio interface in terms of audio quality. The list does try to clarify that the 0404 has significantly lower-quality DACs than the other interfaces on the list:

E-MU 0404 (PCI card), which has 2 analogue (mono) outputs and built-in reverb. The 1212M has much higher quality DACs than the 0404.

http://www.crumhorn-labs.com/Hauptwerk- ... Card.shtml

If your budget can stretch to RME, MOTU or Echo interfaces then I doubt you'd be disappointed with them.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

micdev

Site Admin

PostFri May 09, 2008 6:26 am

I'm using the M-Audio 1010LT and love it. Martin confirmed me that the beta for XP 64 is stable and used by many users.

With the 1010LT you can use 8 analog output channels and 2 digital output channels. I bought a digital to analog converter from gefen that I will receive today ( http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4907 ) and I will be able to use 10 speakers (so far with 8 speakers + subwoofer the results are wonderful).

I believe that the more output channels, the better...

Eric Sagmuller

PostFri May 09, 2008 11:29 am

I didn't even consider this sound card as Martin has two side notes on it. One specifically says it will only work with 32 bit Hauptwerk. Maybe this has changed. Also I thought the Beta driver was a compromise.

eajohnson

PostFri May 09, 2008 1:05 pm

Ah yes, as Martin states, I certainly do live in the real world and I can't afford more for a sound card than I can budget for an entire computer! So, we need those kinds of recommendations. With the low cost EMU you can run ASIO and 24 bit, and even though there are certainly better audio options out there the sound of Hauptwerk and my favorite sample sets through the 0404 is far superior to what I had for my home use before, and at a cost that is so reasonable as to be almost unbelievable. When the kids are out of college, RME card here I come! Thanks all for the comments, I learn a lot here --

Eric
Owner of an old Schober homebuilt, midified and Hauptwerkified.
Next

Return to Technical support