It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 am

What Interface do you recommend?

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

G3

What Interface do you recommend?

PostWed Sep 03, 2008 5:45 pm

Hello to all,

I'm running 64-bit Vista with 8 gig of RAM. My Emu 1820m bit the bag, so I'm dumping it. Costs way too much to fix it, even tho' I was happy with the sound.

So, my criteria was at least 8 TRS outputs, firewire interface (so I could use it anywhere) and availability of 64-bit drivers.

My budget and I have narrowed it to these three items:

1. MOTU 828 MkIII
2. Focusrite Saffire Pro 10
3. Presonus FP10

I would like your honest opinion of a selection, or even another product, if you think it's better. I'm missing playing my 3-manual X-66 with Conoisseur samples, so any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
George (G3)

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Sep 03, 2008 6:35 pm

Hello George,

We have an FP-10 here and I highly recommend that. We are able to compare it directly to an RME- Fireface 800 which in my opinion is probably the top of the line in terms of audio quality and the FP-10 comes very close in sonic comparison. There is also a huge difference in price, FP-10's retail for $399 USD whereas the FF-800 is somewhere around $1400 I think.

We are also now resellers for PreSonus, so if you are interested we can get one ordered for you.

Some others may like to comment on the other 2 interfaces you asked about, however we don't have those here for testing/comparison so I cannot give first hand opinions on them.

We also have an E-MU 1820 and the PreSonus FP-10 has a better/clearer sound hands down compared to the E-MU.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

G3

PostWed Sep 03, 2008 8:14 pm

Thanks Brett,

In further research, now that I'm excited about the FP10, I found out that Presonus has replaced the FP10 with the Firestudio Project. Nearly the same specs but their web site shows no 64-bit driver.

Thought you'd like the update.

George (G3)

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Sep 03, 2008 8:18 pm

Hello George,

No, it is still available, we have one on order for a customer right now. The 64 bit drivers work well with XP-64 and we'll be testing it in the next couple days with Vista 64 (Ultimate). I am not sure where you read that it has been replaced, but the FP-10 is still alive and strong!

The FP-10 was a replacement name for the original Firepod. It is exactly the same unit with just a different name.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Sep 03, 2008 8:33 pm

You can see that PreSonus even still offers it on their website:

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail ... roductId=3
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

G3

PostWed Sep 03, 2008 8:40 pm

Thanks again Brett. I saw that on their web site, but another friend told me this. So, I'm back in the game with the FP10, thanks to you.

G3

BarryG

PostThu Sep 04, 2008 7:57 am

George, if you haven't already done so, you may want to take a look at motunation.com (formerly unicornation.com), which has a lot of posts on the Motu unit you're considering. (This isn't a Motu-run site, by the way. A pretty consistent complaint is the relatively poor technical support of Motu itself.)

Barry Gerken

T.C.Lake

PostSat Sep 06, 2008 8:46 am

Hello All
I am using a Emu 1212m/BehringerADA8000 combination do I understand
that the PreSonus FP 10 would give a better audio result than the
ADAT outputs of the ADA8000 based on the previous replies to this
thread ?

Regards to all Fellow Hauptwerkians

Terry Lake

G3

PostSat Sep 06, 2008 10:07 am

Well, I finally made the purchase. After so much research and trying to figure out what I really wanted, I decided to go with the MOTU Ultralite mk3.

(http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ultralite-mk3)

The original specs were 8 outputs and this unit has 10. CueMix, which is MOTU's on-screen mixer is so much easier to use than PatchMix from Emu. After making all the connections and setting up Hauptwerks, I have to tell you that I was missing a lot with the Emu 1820m. The sound is more open, cleaner and fuller. The on-board Ultralite Reverb is excellent and doesn't use computer processor power. It also has a built-in compressor and limiter, which I haven't even tried yet. Plus it is powered via the firewire bus.

The reason I didn't purchase the FP10 or the Focusrite unit was the requirement to have reverb as an additional device. I didn't want to go the VST/AU route because I wanted Hauptwerks to go directly to the interface.

There is virtually no latency. So far, I'm delighted with this unit. Thanks for the responses. It really helped in making my decision.

Brett, my audio sales rep at Full Compass (fullcompass.com) insists that the FP10 has been removed from the Presonus price list and can no longer be ordered.

George (G3)

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSat Sep 06, 2008 4:14 pm

Brett, my audio sales rep at Full Compass (fullcompass.com) insists that the FP10 has been removed from the Presonus price list and can no longer be ordered.

Hello George,

Well, all I can tell you is that have them on order here and they are shipping direct from PreSonus to us, so I am not sure what is going on with your source, but considering the PreSonus website itself offers the FP-10 and that we are placing orders for them would lead me to believe they are certainly still in production.

However I see you ordered the MOTU, so good luck with the new interface! I hope it works well for you.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

G3

PostSat Sep 06, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi Brett,

I believe you, but it's rather funny, isn't it? Presonus's web site shows the product, but other than you, the only place I found it was on ZZounds. Even sweetwater.com didn't have it.

Thanks for the help and support. The MW3-31 is my next purchase.

George (G3)

Eric Sagmuller

PostSat Sep 06, 2008 8:31 pm

I found the same problem with the FP-10 when I was looking to buy an audio interface. The Firestudio project on Presonus's websight says that this replaces the FP-10. The FP-10's noise figure is considerably worse than the Firestudio, but then the Firestudio doesn't list 64 bit drivers. I ended up going with an Echo Audiofire 12. It has the lower noise figure as the Firestudio, but has the 64 bit drivers. I also wanted the 12 channels and felt it better to put my money towards that and all of the high quality line level circuitry rather than Presonus's microphone inputs which aren't of use for Hauptwerk anyway.

I had also found a review which spoke very highly of the sonic quality of the Audiofire 12. Tech support was also very quick and helpful with some technical questions I had before purchase.

The operating system also seems very nice and flexible.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSun Sep 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi Brett,

I believe you, but it's rather funny, isn't it? Presonus's web site shows the product, but other than you, the only place I found it was on ZZounds. Even sweetwater.com didn't have it.

Sweetwater and many other online retailers do still sell the FP-10, however they are offering it bundled with the MegaStudio Producer package which includes various software, not as an individual item. I am not sure why certain retailers are handling it this way, it might be because of a special deal with them and PreSonus, however it is still in production.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MegaStuPro/
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Grant_Youngman

PostMon Sep 08, 2008 1:15 am

Eric Sagmuller wrote: felt it better to put my money towards that and all of the high quality line level circuitry rather than .... microphone inputs which aren't of use for Hauptwerk anyway.

You mean you don't along while you play? :)

I use the Audiofire 12, too. Great sound, and totally trouble free.
Grant

Eric Sagmuller

PostMon Sep 08, 2008 7:12 am

I assume you mean sing along. I do sometimes while playing hymns.

Actually for my setup I do use a microphone and plan to add a couple more as I have real pipes, using just a DSP and amp so far. My Hauptwerk setup is not in the functioning stage yet. I have the console ready and will purchase Hauptwerk Advanced soon. I will probably use mostly dry sets with convolution so I can use my pipes too, with the convolution of course using the mikes. The condenser mike I have now has enough output that I don't need a mike preamp with the DSP. If I do need a couple of mike preamps they are easily obtained.

Return to Technical support