It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 am

Bovenkerk Hinsz Volume I Released

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

Eric Sagmuller

PostSat Sep 20, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi Brett,

Just a question about the demo's. It says they feature 48khz resolution. My audio interface switched to 44.1 automatically. If I change it manually to 48 it will play but at a higher pitch and sometimes with small dropouts, although the original download was done at 44.1 so maybe that explains the dropouts.

Normally the interface switches to 48 when needed. So just wondering where it is to be set? Very nice sample set!

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSat Sep 20, 2008 9:07 pm

Hello Eric,

The demos are definitely 48kHz. What software are you using to play them back? If you right click and do a 'Save Target As' (Windows) or 'Download Linked File As' (OS X) you can directly save the file to your computer then open it with an audio editor program, or even using Windows Media Player (if you are running Windows of course). WMP plays the files back just fine at 48K and our interfaces also show 48kHz.

I can only guess that for some reason whatever software you are using must decide that MP3 format should be 44.1kHz and thus forcing your interface to switch to 44.1kHz, but don't really know. Could it be whatever program you use to play back MP3 files does not support 48kHz?
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Eric Sagmuller

PostSun Sep 21, 2008 7:13 am

Hi Brett,

You are probably right. I was using WMP for a long time but got tired of waiting for the thing to download first. So lately I've been using Quick Time instead. Maybe it just defaults to 44.1.

The strange thing is that one time when I was using WMP it acted just like Quick Time and played while it was downloading. I never could figure out how to get it to do that again.

Thanks

Eric Sagmuller

PostSun Sep 21, 2008 7:36 am

Yeah that worked. I saved it to my desk top. Then played it with WMP and it automatically switched to 48. To tell you the truth I haven't really paid much attention if Quicktime uses anything other than 44.1. For the longest time I was just using WMP and I know it switched.

Thanks for the tips.

Vladimir Ratkovsky

Re: tax euro union

PostMon Sep 22, 2008 2:18 am

peterdenboer wrote:Hello

I,m from the Netherlands. we have here a tax of 19 %
have i pay this above the price of the sampleset?

regards,
peter

I think if it comes as a DVD in an envelope by post (in an envelope), it will not go to the customs office (hence it will not pass the customs clearance) = no tax.
If you want to be 100% sure to avoid the customs clearance, it would be wise to insert (in the envelope) an information that this is a sample (commercial -wise, not Hauptwer-wise;-), free of charge.
Just my 2 cents of experience..
Vladimir

James

PostMon Sep 22, 2008 6:17 am

It is a little disturbing that this forum is being used to advise people how to cheat on taxes.
James

Eric Sagmuller

PostMon Sep 22, 2008 6:23 am

I was thinking the very same thing. Plus it would be asking the sample set producer to do the lying.

I had a few similar situations with people buying from me out of the country, and asking me to lie about the selling price on the form I had to fill out with the post office.

imcg110

PostMon Sep 22, 2008 11:56 am

My experience is that a DVD in an envelope will simply be delivered like any other normal post. A box with 3 or more will pass through customs and will attract additional tax and a huge handling charge irrespective of a small nominal value. In any case one can argue what we are really paying for here, the data on the DVD or the license update to the dongle. The trick with international mail is not to lie on the label - it is to keep the packaging small!!

Stefanussen

PostMon Sep 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Iain is absolutely correct. I think it is easily arguable that you are paying for the dongle update, and that the DVDs are worth the cost of the blank DVDs. Think about Hauptwerk itself. When you buy it, you get a dongle and DVDs in the mail. The contents of the DVDs may be freely downloaded from crumhorn-labs.com.
Rob Stefanussen

hans0166

PostMon Sep 22, 2008 1:48 pm

buy a sample set in europe and you have the same profit...

complaints belong at your government, not here

GDay

PostMon Sep 22, 2008 11:16 pm

Tax?? Cheating??

Excise taxes, or import duties are very different animals than individual income tax, whereby we personally contribute to the structures and supports of our society. America was founded on the principle of rejecting and resisting unfair and arbitrary taxation. Get off your high horse, and unruffle your feathers. On any given day, Customs taxes a HW dvd, and on the next day they don't. That's arbitrary taxation - reject it and resist it. Anything else is horse-feathers.

G'Day

imcg110

PostTue Sep 23, 2008 2:10 am

Vladimir Ratkovsky

PostTue Sep 23, 2008 2:33 am

In order to not to go offtopic - last contribution in the matter of imports.

I apologise for my piece of advice - it is not correct.

Now 100% legally correct advice:
It is a must that after the receipt of the sample (or any commercial goods of that value from outside EU) to custom clear the goods: pay VAT + possible import duty (if such exists). In Poland VAT is 22%, in Germany 19%, don't know how much is that in the Netherlands).

(Information for those beyond the big pond: an example how VAT is used in the EU: 1 billion EUR = 10 to the power of 9 EURs have been used just to translate documents in the European parliament in 2007...)
Last edited by Vladimir Ratkovsky on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vladimir

Vladimir Ratkovsky

PostTue Sep 23, 2008 2:36 am

To the topic: any experience in playing the sample?
Does it "feel" like playing St. Anne's in the sense of "wetness", latency?
Vladimir

Stefanussen

PostTue Sep 23, 2008 9:49 am

Vladimir, I don't think anyone has gotten it yet, but I don't see how it would be anything like St. Anne's. St. Anne's has maybe 1 second of acoustics, and the Hinsz has 7-8 sec if I remember correctly. Latency has more to do with the computer configuration than the sample set itself.
Rob Stefanussen
PreviousNext

Return to Hauptwerk instruments