It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 am

Optimize Vista for Hauptwerk

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.
  • Author

Gert

Optimize Vista for Hauptwerk

PostTue Nov 04, 2008 1:26 am

Hi all,
I have a pc with Vista 64 bit (8 GB RAM and EMU1616M) dedicated for Hauptwerk.
I optimized it for Hauptwerk.

But I'm in doubt for 2 settings:

1) 'Size of page file'
In my opinion to avoid swapping, the best way is to configure a page (swap) file size of 0 (!).
I did it and have now never swapping, also never distortion.
But Martin recommends repeatedly: Set page file specifically to 'system managed size'.

2) There is a setting 'Processor Scheduling'. You can set it to:
a. 'Background Services'
b. 'Active programs'.

a. is good for the performance of ASIO drivers
b. is good for the performance of Hauptwerk itself.
I opt for 'Active programs' because Hauptwerk has the heaviest impact.

Who have an opinion about these topics?

Regards,
Gert
www.PCorgan.com
info@PCorgan.com

jo

PostTue Nov 04, 2008 5:04 am

For a saffire focusrite, you have to set the processor scheduling for background services.
Else, I had glitches.

I followed this guide:
[url]
http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/ ... php?id=288
[/url]

Jocelyn

davidthedim

Problem with background setting

PostTue Nov 04, 2008 6:34 am

Have just obtained a new 64 bit quad core processer system with 8Gig. Also using a saffire focusrite
Set the system to 'Background Services' and then found that some sample sets would not install, had to move back to 'Active programs' setting. It appears that with a fast 4 core system Hauptwerk running as a foreground job could not create the files necessary for installation fast enough before the installation programme which I assume was flagged as a background job needed them. Kept getting error to say files not found half way through the installation. All sample sets installed after reverting to 'Processor Scheduling' 'Active programs'.
Running the saffire focusrite via the firewire connection seems to produce no glitches with this processor. However note that if I do not hit a key to sound a note as soon as I have run up the system the sound playback seems to get lost.
System used is a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 produced by Arbico Computers, have had a discussion with them to produce a ultra quiet machine, intact it is so quiet that when first used I was not sure if it was switched on as the start button is hidden behind the front panel, had only turned on the switch at the back.
David Burgess

mdyde

PostTue Nov 04, 2008 7:59 am

Hello Gert,

1) 'Size of page file'
In my opinion to avoid swapping, the best way is to configure a page (swap) file size of 0 (!).
I did it and have now never swapping, also never distortion.
But Martin recommends repeatedly: Set page file specifically to 'system managed size'.

Some 64-bit drivers, and most notably E-MU's, contain or rely upon some 32-bit components and cause the system to become unstable and to behave erratically if you disable the page file and you have more than 4 GB of memory installed and load a large sample set.

Some common symptoms of that problem (if you disable the page file on 64-bit Windows with more than 4 GB of memory installed):

- Organs sometimes extremely slow to load.
- Random crashes.
- Sometimes no audio / distorted audio.
- Poor performance in Hauptwerk.
- Other random bizarre behaviour, e.g. settings screens not working properly, component installer not working properly.

You might find some of these symptoms with some organs and not others depending on how much and which portions of memory they occupy.

Hence I'd strongly advise not disabling the page file on 64-bit Windows if you have more than 4 GB of memory, or at least if you find any unexpected stability, performance or other issues (which I'd expect you to experience on your system if you disable the page file) to re-enable it straight away.

2) There is a setting 'Processor Scheduling'. You can set it to:
a. 'Background Services'
b. 'Active programs'.

Hauptwerk is a program, rather than a background service, so you should get the best performance in Hauptwerk by leaving the setting at its default (to favour programs).

a. is good for the performance of ASIO drivers
b. is good for the performance of Hauptwerk itself.
I opt for 'Active programs' because Hauptwerk has the heaviest impact.

Correct. The audio drivers themselves use a negligible amount of processing power, whereas Hauptwerk (which is a program) needs the bulk of it.

There's also some information on these settings under 'Other operating system optimisation' in the performance tuning section of the user guide:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/clientuploads/documentation/CurrentUserGuide/UserGuideRedirects/PerformanceTuning.pdf
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

telemanr

PostTue Nov 04, 2008 8:49 am

Just to second Martin's point about EMU drivers on XP 64 with more than 4 GB RAM needing system managed virtual memory.

I have such a system and originally had set the Virtual Memory to 0. With that setting I would often find that leaving an organ loaded and going away for a few hours would result in a frozen state needing a complete power switch shutdown to reboot. Other strange behaviour would often result as well, just as Martin has suggested.

With 3.11 I followed his instructions to reset the Virtual to "managed by system".

Result...haven't had a strange crash or freeze since.

Rob Enns

Gert

PostTue Nov 04, 2008 12:52 pm

Hi,
Thanks for reactions!

I have Vista 64 bit (with 8 GB RAM) and an EMU1616M, but I have better results (never one of the symptoms Martin mentioned) with a disabled page file. Also with large sample sets (Zwolle Surround, Kampen, etc).

Or there is a difference between Vista and XP
or my 'test period' is too short.

I shall try both options coming weeks.

The other point (Optimize for Background Services or Active programs) is
also interesting:
- Martin said (and I think so too): choose: Active programs
- Jocelyn said (and experienced): choose: Background services

Regards,
Gert

Gert

PostMon Nov 10, 2008 6:32 am

Sorry Martin,

I tried again your suggestion to enable the page file, but then I have distortion.
Especially after I loaded a sample set the first time and also when I start playing after a period of pause (e.g. half an hour).
When I load the sample set again the distortion is away.

But, better, when I disable the Page file, I have no problems, also not after a pause.
See above my configuration.

Martin, is your opinion based on XP64?

See here my summary of Vista configuration: www.PCorgan.com/BenodigdhedenEN.html#Besturingssysteem

Regards,
Gert

Return to Technical support