It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:02 pm

SURVEY - PAB sample set - Would you buy if.....

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

micdev

Site Admin

SURVEY - PAB sample set - Would you buy if.....

PostMon Dec 08, 2008 12:10 pm

Ok, less than 5 days to go join the group-buy of the PAB sample sets. Right now (december 8th, noon GMT - 5 hours), 5 persons committed themself to buy the sample set, lowering the price to $809

As Chris said n another thread:
gingercat wrote:I think the problem with the discount scheme is that a lot more people would probably buy it if was already around the $600 mark, but nobody is willing to risk putting their name down for a copy until the price drops - a catch 22 situation.

To reach the next step, which lower the price to $699, 35 more persons must commit to buy it; to reach Chris's suggested price ($600), 95 more persons are required.... both numbers seems hard, if not impossible, to reach, but who knows, many of us might jump in the group-buy knowing that the final price would be lower.

Personally, with the value of our Canadian dollar, $899 + shipping is too much money for me. $699 still is a lot of money.... at $599 + shipping I would be willing to get it.

So, here are my questions, and please answer it seriously (as if you were commiting yourself).

If the PAB samplet had a selling price of $699, would you commit yourself to buy it (by december the 12th)?

If the PAB samplet had a selling price of $599, would you commit yourself to buy it (by december the 12th)?

Please answer both questions with YES or NO

If everyone answer honestly, we will have a good idea of the final selling price.

If you already bought (commit) the sample set, please don't answer these questions since we don't want to count you twice.

François

------------------------------------------
My answers:

1 - No
2 - Yes
Last edited by micdev on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fazioli

PostMon Dec 08, 2008 12:14 pm

- No

- Yes

imcg110

PostMon Dec 08, 2008 12:52 pm

NO
and
NO

1. I don't like the sound - sure the quality is good, it just doesn't excite me.
2. I don't have a system robust enough to run it yet (Get a move on Trolltech!!!)
3. I have doubts, given the current flawed business model, whether any future developments of this set will be commercially viable.
4. I already know (and have already heard!!) the future sample sets I plan to save my pennies for.

adri

PostMon Dec 08, 2008 1:49 pm

No and NO

I hope I am expressing what other people think/feel as well:

1. Too large to run well on PC: even 8GB RAM isn't enough to run this organ as it should, and most HW-users do not have more than 8GB of RAM.

2. If people cannot run the entire organ, they don't need such a large organ. Thus they refuse to pay big money for an organ when they can only load a limited number of stops anyways. And loading the entire organ but quite compromised isn't very appealing either.

3. Very dry acoustics. That's not exciting.

4. Modern organ; not all like modern compromise organs. I don't.

5. High price. Even with discount still felt as high.

6. I prefer quality over quantity.

7. Exciting organs are coming: e,.g,. Caen Cavaille-Coll, Trost organ, other organs of historical significance, Part II of Kampen, etc. And there is a glut of HW2/3 type organs still up for sale, and probably not selling well, because the market is a bit saturated with organs, due to too few HW takers.

8. Economic tough times.

In other words: for sample set makers it's tough competition, and not enough HW users. Unless the pool of HW users significantly increases, I am not sure if this entire HW project is going to see dead ends, foreclosures, sample makers giving up, etc.

Good luck!

deWaverley

PostMon Dec 08, 2008 2:45 pm

No & No ..too, I'm afraid.

It just sounds too cold and mechanical to me, albeit beautifully sampled.

Have a listen to a bit of their Benedictus,

and then, to hear some real music, try the Sauer Benedictus.

Incomparably beautiful and moving in my opinion.

Shame though, as it must be lovely to have all those stop-options available.

deW

imcg110

PostMon Dec 08, 2008 3:15 pm

Couldn't agree more re: Reger!!

If you want to see the more astute business model quietly swing into action have a look here and begin to salivate:
http://www.organartmedia.com/Instruments.html

Each to his own I suppose. PAB is just not mine.
I wish them luck - I would hate to see a good sample set fail.

Nate1693

PostMon Dec 08, 2008 3:46 pm

1) No

and

2) No

Lougheed

PostMon Dec 08, 2008 3:56 pm

1) No

and

2) No

James

PostMon Dec 08, 2008 4:35 pm

1) no
2) no

I don't have the horsepower to run it, nor the interest, I'm afraid.
James

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Dec 08, 2008 4:38 pm

So far... as I expected...
Ouch...

adri wrote:In other words: for sample set makers it's tough competition, and not enough HW users. Unless the pool of HW users significantly increases, I am not sure if this entire HW project is going to see dead ends, foreclosures, sample makers giving up, etc.

So frightening....

Eric Sagmuller

PostMon Dec 08, 2008 4:40 pm

1) No

2) No

gingercat

PostMon Dec 08, 2008 5:05 pm

I'm currently voting:
1) No
2) No

This is not a reflection on the sample set, which I think will be amazing (given a little help with some impulse reverb), but merely a reflection on the fact I can't justify shelling out that kind of money at the moment. I think MDA have come up with the perfect way to sell sample sets with the Hinsz - release the set in affordable increments, each of which constitutes a fantastic sample set in itself. I imagine that when the PAB set is later released as smaller versions, it will sell very well, providing the mix of stops in each mini set still leave you feeling like you have a full working organ.
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

giwro

PostMon Dec 08, 2008 6:12 pm

1) No
2) No (well... MAYBE)

I think it is probably worth every penny, but right now I'm finding that my 2 1/2 year old HW machine needs to be upgraded, so I'll wait until I've saved enough money for that. I know a lot of folks don't like the increased requirements for RAM and processing power, but in the 16 years I've been tinkering with computers I have found that apps like Hauptwerk and other artistic programs ALWAYS push the limits of current hardware. Programmers ALWAYS want to take advantage of more computing and storage, and they always will.

For me, I've always wanted a large sampleset that can play most everything - it would be a great boon for practicing and recording the wildly eclectic mix of organ music I enjoy. Sadly, until my finances can absorb it, I'll make do with what I have. The latter option (#2) might tempt me, (hence the MAYBE) since I have no problems truncating and adding in reverb later (in fact. I actually PREFER to have control of the acoustics myself)

I hope the set is a resounding success... from my perspective as a sample producer I have seen sales slow due to the economy and the sheer number of available sets - we need to do all we can to promote the wider knowledge and adoption of this technology so that Martin and Brett can continue to develop it.

Best,
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

cybug60

Re: SURVEY - PAB sample set - Would you buy if.....

PostMon Dec 08, 2008 6:41 pm

My answers:

1 - No
2 - No

Sorry but out of my price range at the current exchange rates!

Chris :(

Csaba Huszty

PostMon Dec 08, 2008 6:42 pm

It was very nice to hear your opinions, thank you! For those who are not happy with the sound of new organs or concert hall acoustics, I'm sure we will have an option soon (the historical organs that we are working on at the moment).

Iain, please do not worry about the future development of this library since there is no reason to worry at all.
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments