It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 am

Ahlborn classic module to sell 590€

Hauptwerk and sample sets *not* permitted. Audio and MIDI hardware for use with Hauptwerk, organ consoles, parts, computer equipment.
  • Author

David

Ahlborn classic module to sell 590€

PostThu Apr 09, 2009 10:41 am

Hello,

I have an Ahlborn classic module to sell, 590 euros.
Bought 1300 euros in december 2005 from France-Orgue in Toulouse, France.
http://www.france-orgue.fr/orgues/index.php?zpg=org.doc.fch&ido=27

Never used Since October 2007 when I got Hauptwerk.

I can send it anywhere in Europe.

David.

Lantegnati

PostSun Apr 19, 2009 4:06 pm

Hello David

I am interested and would like to make an offer for you. I have been following this forum occasionally, as I don't use Huptwerk yet. At home I use a roland synth and a drawbar expander, all with a midi pedalboard. I understand from your description that the ahlborn archive classic is in good conditions, can you confim that please, and have you got the operating/instructions manual to go with it?
I do appreciate that you payed that sum, however, I see that at present the same item is available new for Euros 879 from the website of scavino.it under the category " organi liturgici"
http://www.scavino.it/organi_liturgici.htm

I wonder if my offer of Euros 450 would be of interest to you. Please bear also in mind that I'd have to add on top the shipping costs to Scotland, comprehensive of insurance and the cost of the bank transfer.

With best regards, I look forward to hearing from you,

Oreste

James

PostSun Apr 19, 2009 5:01 pm

With all due respect for Ahlborn units, may I suggest that if you are willing to pay 450 Euros for one of them, perhaps you should consider buying into Hauptwerk. With the initial purchase you get one full organ with more stops than the Ahlborn unit, and actually sampled sounds, rather than the digital processed sounds ahlborn was justly famous for 20 years ago. There are also a number of free sampled organs available, once you have the initial Hauptwerk software. Certainly you can use the free trial to at least try it out. I have an actual Ahlborn Preludium two manual organ, which I use with its midi keyboards and pedal board to run Hauptwerk when I am home. I never use the built in stops on the Ahlborn, as they are so "fake", compared to my Hauptwerk samples.
James

David

PostTue Apr 21, 2009 1:33 am

Hello,

Oreste, I just sent a private message to you.

I will sell my Ahlborn unit for 350 euros, considering the price has dropped so much for a new one.

Best regards

David

David Pinnegar

PostTue Apr 21, 2009 10:31 am

Dear David and Oreste

Were another member of this forum not to have offered me some Ahlborn units I'd say yes to 350Eu like a shot - and Oreste if you don't buy then I'm interested!

Whilst Ahlborn units might be dated technology - and I believe are no longer being manufactured - they do provide a useful instant solution in a box ready to plug in with no fuss. I have used some to aggrandise an existing instrument to good effect and the result is exciting enough . . . I have had fun wiring directly into switches on the front panel for various external controls and found them remarkably electronically robust!

So Oreste - when you have bought it and then upgraded to Hauptwerk, I'll probably be in the market to buy it from you!

I'm not entirely convinced by the Trompette samples (I'm intrigued that these are referred to as digitally processed sounds rather than sampled . . . ) and am wondering whether better results can be obtained directly from the outputs of the D-A converters providing 6 output channels rather than 2?

Best wishes

David P
http://www.organmatters.co.uk
David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.

eajohnson

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 11:32 am

Hi all
This might possibly belong in another area of the forum but since some of you here have used the Ahlborn unit I thought I'd ask here. Before Hauptwerk I had a 201 unit at home, then took to use at church to supplement the organ there via MIDI. However, the little green text screen has gone completely haywire and is no longer readable. Have any other Ahlborn users ever seen this happen?

Eric
Owner of an old Schober homebuilt, midified and Hauptwerkified.

David

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 1:37 pm

Hello Eric,

In almost two years of use this never happened to me.
How long did you use your unit ? how old is it ?

Best regards,
David

CHRIS 037

The Ahlborn Units

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 1:57 pm

Hello Eric,

I actually have one of each of the four types of Ahlborn units. They have been in use for about eight or nine years now and they still do fine. The display screen on one of them has gotten just a bit more difficult to read, but not by much.

I have these units hooked up and playable at all times, though I really don't use them much now with the number of HW organs I have. I do still regularly use the mighty 32' Soubasse on the 202 unit, and the 16' Subbass on the 201. They really can all add a lot of good sound in a multiple speaker arrangement.

I suppose that since I am now so deeply in debt over my recent Mac Pro purchase, I ought to consider selling these units. I even still have the original shipping cartons and packing. I had to order the units from the East coast since there was no local dealer at that time.

I paid about $2200 for each one back then. I'm really not sure what they are worth now. . . especially in Euro's. If 400 Euro's is about $500.00 that seems a fair price to me, I guess. Also, I've never sent anything out like this, so I have no idea what shipping would cost.

Let me know if anyone's interested.

Leo Chris.

gecko

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 5:15 pm

eajohnson wrote:Hi all
the little green text screen has gone completely haywire and is no longer readable. Have any other Ahlborn users ever seen this happen?
Eric

Yup. Happened to my 201. Since Hauptwerk came out, I don't have much use for it, so I never bothered to find out what's involved with fixing it. I kept it because I thought it might be handy to have a quick plug-in gadget for running through organ something-or-others without having to reboot the computer (I normally run Linux), but I've never actually used it that way, and at one point, I pushed a lot of buttons to reset some things but I got them wrong (since I was flying blind) and the pedals don't work correctly, so now it's collecting dust. Fortunately, I have a lot of dust for it to collect, so that keeps it busy.
I still have a very small website
http://dustyfeet.com

eajohnson

PostFri Apr 24, 2009 12:59 pm

As I recall I have had the 201 for about six years. The display just slowly deteriorated until now it just displays what appear to be random pixels. Don't know if it can be fixed, so for now I am not touching any adjustments because I don't think I'd be able to tell where I was in the menu. We are getting good use of it, I use it to play trompette antiphonal type effects and such since the organ speakers are opposite the MIDI system speakers. I intend to change to Hauptwerk for our MIDI organ uses eventually, but it will mean a serious computer upgrade that I will have to lobby for.....

Eric
Owner of an old Schober homebuilt, midified and Hauptwerkified.

David Pinnegar

PostSun Apr 26, 2009 11:42 am

Hi!

From my experience these units are electronically very robust and if there is anything wrong, it's worth just taking the top off and disconnecting the plugs of the lead between the main board and the display board - and you might be lucky.

If the pedals aren't sounding, it may be a swell pedal midi signal that has spuriously got in and told it to go to minimum volume. I have used a pull-up resistance on the transconductance amps which control volume so that this simply can't happen.

As yet, I have not taken the plunge and converted to Hauptwerk really on account of heavy investment in older technology . . . One thing that is really brilliant about the Ahlborn units is that you can set the menu to temperament and then during a recital switch from Meantone to equal with one touch of a button . . .

Is Hauptwerk a more complicated procedure? Certainly it really is worth experimenting with meantone on early work as well as Kellner for Bach. After having done so, whilst playing in equal temperament one is sensitive to places where certain chords should have a particular effect and it's missing.

Certainly if and when any units cease to be any use to anyone any more, I'm interested. My "upcoming" (I hate that word but it's useful) project is to set up a good portable instrument(s) for concerts outside, as I know some brass players who want to do brass and organ outside, as well as the opportunity to do concerts in places that don't traditionally have organs, as well as possibly taking an instrument into schools to introduce people who otherwise have no contact with organs to the instrument.

With a cheap Viscount EXL-100 I have processed the 16 and 8 trumpet stop to create wonderfully dirty French reeds. One can extract the reed sounds from the Ahlborns on a seperate channel and on a former occasion, I tried to process the reed sound in a way similarly without success but think that the 16 and 8 reeds on the Ahlborn 202 unit may work . . .

Best wishes

David P
http://www.organmatters.co.uk
David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.

IanPounder

PostSun Apr 26, 2009 12:48 pm

Hello David

One thing that is really brilliant about the Ahlborn units is that you can set the menu to temperament and then during a recital switch from Meantone to equal with one touch of a button

With Hauptwerk, it's a mouse click - though this could be a piston (etc) since most functions can be MIDI controlled.

My "upcoming" (I hate that word but it's useful) project is to set up a good portable instrument(s) for concerts outside, as I know some brass players who want to do brass and organ outside, as well as the opportunity to do concerts in places that don't traditionally have organs, as well as possibly taking an instrument into schools to introduce people who otherwise have no contact with organs to the instrument.

Is this not the ideal project for you to "take the plunge" with Hauptwerk? Two (or more!) MIDI keyboards on a stand, plus a MIDI-fied pedal board, a computer - could be a laptop - with a good soundcard and a touchscreen, and you could have the basis of a really impressive instrument - far more impressive to school children, I would suggest, than older electronic organ technology, especially as it would be based on a type of machines they are very familiar with. If you used MIDI controller keyboards, you would even have some buttons to use as ready-made pistons (though "real" pistons are easy to set up through MIDI anyway). The whole lot would be easy to set up, and of course you'd need the same sort of amps & speakers whatever is generating the sound.

Just a (perhaps rather cheeky) thought...

Regards
Ian

Return to For sale / wanted (classified ads for private individuals)